“lovely place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Fairfax
Bowie, Maryland
“lovely place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here to attend a dance competition. It was a very nice and clean hotel. Very quite and located near plenty of stores. The staff was very friendly and the starbucks inside was very helpful for early mornings. I would recommend this hotel. Check in and check out was easy. It look older on the outside but was definitely updated on the inside.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Birmingham, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a weekend business trip. The location was a bit difficult to find, and when my GPS was having issues, I called the hotel. The woman who I spoke with was unable to assist with directions, and ultimately I was only five minutes from the hotel.

It does appear that the rooms have been somewhat remodeled, although as another reviewer mentioned, the AC system leaves a lot to be desired.

The rate was quite reasonable, especially for being that close to D.C.

Room Tip: It's much quieter with higher floor rooms
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

This hotel is an older property that has definitely been remodeled with a modern design. From what I can tell they have new wallpaper, new furniture, and new carpet. The room I stayed in had an air system that was below par. When I switched the fan to high and put the thermostat on 68, it took almost an hour to get the room to that temperature (mostly because the high fan was like a stiff breeze). The bathroom needs work as well. The toilet was old and did not work well. The shower was old with little place to put toiletries and the ventilation did not work well.
On a positive note, the bed was comfortable. I almost wish I could have taken it home with me. The internet was free and fast. The staff was friendly and efficient. If you book on the weekend, you can get a rather cheap rate (around $76/night).
I wish they would make the repairs so I could give them a 5/5. Even though this place needs some work, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the courtyard, otherwise you'll end up looking at the grocery store or bus...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

The Marriott Courtyard has been at this location for a number of years. The hotel has undergone several renovations and is in pretty good shape. The staff is friendly and helpful when requested.

The rooms are quiet, comfortable and the bedding and linen were adequate.

This Courtyard offers a limited service bar/restaurant that is reasonably priced. However as noted in other reviews, service is slow.

The location is excellent, adjacent to I-66 and State Route 50. This is convenient for a visit to Washington, DC or the near by George Mason University. Fair Oaks Shopping Mall is a short car ride away.

Room Tip: Choose an interior room facing the courtyard. Rooms 117, 118 and 119 are located near the exterior...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here with my family & got 3 rooms for an overnight stay. We had a day trip to visit the memorials in DC & stayed at the hotel to rest so we can tour the Smithsonian museums the next day.
Pros
- Room and bathroom was spacious & clean.
- bed & pillows were comfy
- free starbucks coffee in the room for brewing. Starbucks Brewed coffee was also served in the lobby in the morning.
- climate control on the room
- just 10 miles from DC
- free parking near the lobby
- free wifi
Cons
- not a lot of food options, we had to go out & ate at a food complex a few minutes away
- breakfast service was too slow, it looked like they only had 2 people getting the orders & cooking at the same time.

Overall, we were able to rest well for our DC trip when we stayed here.

• Stayed September 2012
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Perhaps arriving very late tainted my view of the room. The sink had a large crack, the toilet required multiple flushes to fully engage, its seat was smaller than the bowl and the mustard yellow wallpaper left the impression of age. The 1960s modern decor added to the impression the room needed remolding.

On the other hand, the service was impeccable, and the selection of food for breakfast healthy and quick. The choice of the Washington Post, the Wall Street Journal and USA Today was greatly appreciated.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Southern Cal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

The rooms and the facilities were nice, clean, and reasonably priced and I wanted to give 4 stars but several of the employees at the front desk were kind of rude, hence the 3 stars instead of 4. There were two of us here on business (separate rooms) and we each stayed two nights. One of the evening front desk employees would not answer simple questions in a straightforward manner and had an attitude. (A simple "I don't know" would have been ok, but rudeness is not.) The day we left we asked for a late checkout of 12:30pm and they were nice enough to grant it (the hotel was not busy), but didn't let us know that the key cards automatically stop working at 12 noon whether you have a later checkout or not. I had about 30 minutes to spare before my taxi arrived so I walked around the facility but then couldn't get into my room to get my luggage. I had to have the front desk reset my card but the way the employee spoke to me it sounded like I should have known that would happen. Bottom line is stay here if it's very close to where you want to be or you have a car. If not, it's not very conveniently located and you may end up paying a lot in taxi fares.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Fairfax Fair Oaks? Share your experiences!