“Fine” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bay Shore, New York
“Fine”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

After checking in, I wasn't sure why this hotel received so many positive reviews. It was a fine hotel for the price I paid. However, I was not sure of its cleanliness. I travel with Lysol wipes and made sure to give it a good wipe down at the start. The random hair and stickers/tags were a little unsettling. The couch had stains. It also looked like it needed updating and refurbishment. Many areas of the walls/wall paper needed to be fixed.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Glencoe, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I stayed here twice before and the only thing different now is that they have limited free Wi-Fi. I booked this room with Hotwire instead of Priceline.

When I booked with Priceline I could get two beds but they told me that with Hotwire they only give you one bed and you can't change it. I might would understand if it was full but there are literally 10 cars in the parking lot and this place probably has 12 floors with 50 rooms to the floor.

The last time I use Hotwire or this hotel, not really sure which I will do.

Room Tip: Don't use Hotwire.
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This is a very nice hotel. Only had a couple of negative experiences which is why I did not give it a 5 star. The room was great and quite comfortable. The front desk staff was very pleasant and helpful. The negatives are that on my first night I ordered room service and it never came. After a hour and half I called down and it appeared that my order was never entered into the system or that it got lost. The next night around 9 pm, I was contacted bu room service to see if I was interested in dinner (on them).Was a little to late to be offered a free dinner. The only other negative I had was that my shower on the first morning there was barely luke warm. I realize the hotel was busy but it there is nothing more than I hate than a not hot shower in the morning. I hold nothing against this property and would definitely stay there again and I recommend this hotel.

Plesant Prairie, WI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Is it clean? Does everything work as it should? No and no. This is a Hyatt but maintenance and housekeeping leave a lot to be desired. The first room stank. They bombed the room with a cover up spray to mask some smoke odor. One piece of furniture had at least 18 places where they used a brown magic marker (sloppily, I might add) to cover up gouges. There were chunks off the end that were not repaired. Sofa stained. The second room was slightly better -- at least the furniture was intact -- but there were strange pieces of gunk on the bathroom walls that I cleaned off, stains on the sofa and a refrigerator that took forever to work well. Plus, the room key crapped out mid-stay at the end of a long and tiring day. To top it all off, on the second day of my stay housekeeping didn't do anything to the room, period. Heater/AC seemed to be a little off as well.

This place could be much better if the employees, management and owners put in more effort to keep things up to snuff. It is a busy hotel in a good location but that doesn't excuse failing to take care of the basics. There are better hotels nearby.

One good thing: free in-room wifi.

I rated this place a bit lower because there isn't a 2.5 rating. It could easily be better if more effort was made to clean up and fix up and keep it that way.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Tamara B, Manager at Hyatt FairFax at Fair Lakes, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear 6530bx4,

I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Hyatt Fairfax and we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and let us know where we can make some improvements. We are deeply disappointed to hear that you had a less than ideal stay with us. We are excited to announce that we are in the planning stages of our multi-million dollar room renovation. Renovation will address all of the room deficiencies including furniture, carpet, bedding and wall vinyl just to name a few things. Please know that we have shared your comments and concerns with our leadership team and are working rapidly to resolve the issues addressed. We appreciate your feedback and hope you will visit us again in the near future on your next visit to Fairfax.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed for four nights in March 2015. Appreciated the price point (about $72 USD per night, via a third party discount website). Free parking was great. Room was a really good size, comfortable bed. Separate living area and bedroom. Bathroom was to be expected. While some other reviewers have suggested that the hotel needs updating (which I agree with) it wasn't as bad as I expected. Very comfortable stay. Couch was not comfortable at all. Local dining options abound, through all price points.

Hotel offers a shuttle to Vienna Metro, which runs about every half hour during rush hour only. Last departure back was just after 6:00 p.m. Be forewarned that this is the community shuttle, so it covers the back 9 and then some before picking you up or dropping you off. We only took it one day. The directions from the hotel about using the shuttle are incorrect and need to be updated (i.e. the bus will drop you off on the north side of the station and pick you up on the south). It picks you up from the same spot it drops you off. But a free shuttle.

Took about 20 minutes to get to the metro during the rush hour... be forewarned. About 32 minutes from Vienna Metro to Smithsonian.

Would stay again, no problem.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Ttaylo3,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the comfort of our suite sized rooms. We are excited to announce that we are in the planning stages of our multi-million dollar room renovation. Renovation will address all of the room deficiencies including furniture, carpet, bedding and wall vinyl just to name a few things. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback through TripAdvisor. We hope to see you again on your next trip to the DC metropolitan area.
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Have stayed at this property many times over a great number of years and have always found it to be a consistently enjoyable, though not overwhelming property. If you need lodging in the Fairfax area, this hotel has great access to a number of restaurants and shopping options. The rooms are a mini-suite style, offering a sitting area in addition to a bed in the room. As a Diamond member, I've often received an upgrade to a panoramic room that offers more space than the standard rooms and enjoy a really nice view with multiple wrap-around windows.

The staff at the hotel have always been particularly nice and thoughtful. On a recent visit, Eren at the front desk even sent cookies and milk up for our girls, which was an exceptionally thoughtful touch. It's gestures like these that go such a long way into creating brand loyalty and to a specific property.

The indoor pool area is very nice, especially in the winter. If you're on leisure, however, please keep in mind that the pool is only open in the evening during weekdays. Virginia law requires a lifeguard on duty, which is an extra cost to the hotel, hence closed during period of less demand during the week as a predominantly business hotel.

Overall an enjoyable place to stay and my personal choice in Fairfax.

Room Tip: Panoramic room on a high floor is nice for the view. Lower floors at the height of the treetops is...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Dear TheAviator2,

We are thrilled to hear that you had an overall enjoyable experience here at the Hyatt Fairfax and also had the opportunity to stay in one of our upgraded panoramic suite rooms. Our friendly staff is always at your service to provide the most authentic hospitality to meet all of our guests' needs. We value your loyalty as a Diamond member and greatly appreciate your feedback. We look forward to being of service to you again in the near future.
Athens, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This hotel was clean and the rooms were large. You could see the hotel has tried hard to keep up, but it's getting a little worn around the edges. Make sure to ask for the bed and breakfast option. It's $10 more a night, but you get breakfast, which is about $18 retail. Worth it if you're a breakfast eater. Staff was super, especially in the restaurants.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Dear Leigh H,

We are delighted to have you as our guest during this busy season. We are also glad to hear that you had a chance to enjoy our lavish breakfast buffet. We are excited to announce that we are in the planning stages of our multi-million dollar renovation that will address all of the room deficiencies. Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback through our TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay with us. We hope to see you again soon the next time you are traveling to Fairfax.

Been to Hyatt FairFax at Fair Lakes? Share your experiences!