“Relaxing Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Fairfax
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Relaxing Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My wife and I stayed at the Hyatt at Fair Lakes this past Friday. Our stay was enjoyable. The room rate was cheap and there are a lot of great things to do in the area. The lobby looks relatively new. Elevators are scary. Hallways are decent. Rooms are nice and clean. There is nothing really special about this hotel, but that is not a bad thing. If you are looking for a comfortable place to sleep at a good rate, this hotel will do the job.

When we checked in, we had asked about a room upgrade. They had upgrades available, but the price was $40 more. If you booked the room online, you could get the panoramic room for $139. So you can save $19 by waiting till check in. The room we stayed in faced the West. If you do not have the blinds closed and the AC at 60, you will bake.

Bathroom was nice and water pressure was strong.

Our room has a king bed and a sitting area with a couch and a desk. The TV was in the middle and could swivel to either face the bed or the couch. You cannot watch TV from both locations.

There is ample parking at this hotel. Staff are friendly.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Good location to get to an event at GMU campus. Plenty of chain restaurants within short drive. Check in was a short wait- only one clerk and a trainee were juggling multiple check-ins, phone calls, and guest problems. Cleanliness and comfort were fine, but room furnishings, towels, and linens were rather shabby (some holes and stains). Very noisy plumbing and thin walls. Willing to overlook this for good price deal - included in package was very nice buffet breakfast in the hotel restaurant. Odd layout of rooms with a king and a double bed on separate walls. Counter/TV cabinet filled space between the ends of the beds, so you could only swivel the tv to watch from one bed. Seems like the room was maybe a suite converted to a double and 2nd bed was where the suite living room couch would usually be. Bed was comfortable. Slow elevators-I would have used stairs from second floor room if an option, but they were only on an alarmed fire door. Was grateful to staff that took us in service elevator when lobby and elevators were busy with a busload of students. There were 4 motorcoaches and at least 2 different student groups staying there (fortunately not on my floor). Lobby and restaurant looked newer. Definitely time to rehab the rooms. Overall experience was more like a budget motel and was convenient and decent for one night, but I would not recommend a long stay.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This Hyatt is a mid level hotel, with a modern décor and professional feel. I stayed only one night on a business trip, and found the room comfortable and clean. The bathroom was dated, but functional, but the bed and furniture appeared to be new and were comfortable. The hotel charges for internet which I find absurd, the daily cost was around $15. I was there less than 12 hours, so I opted to work from my phone. The restaurant and breakfast seemed nice, but I didn't partake in the complimentary breakfast. As I grabbed a coffee there appeared to be many choices and the food seemed fresh. Certainly a value there. The gym was also nice, small but had multiple treadmills, elliptical, and plenty of nautilus equipment. I would probably stay again, but there was nothing special to bring me back to this hotel specifically.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Stayed here for one night for business. I travel often around the world and have stayed at many different hotels. This hotel has by far the most amazing and hospitable front desk staff. I had the pleasure of speaking with Rani and Eileen at check in. They were extremely professional and courteous and went out of their way to make sure I was having a pleasant stay. Rooms were clean but could use a facelift. I am looking forward to staying here again. Service is exceptional!

• Stayed August 2014
Tamara B, Manager at Hyatt FairFax at Fair Lakes, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Raj K,

We are pleased that you enjoyed a wonderful stay at our hotel while in town for business. We are delighted to hear that you had a chance to interact with our amazing front desk staff. We will be sure to recognize Rani and Eileen for their excellent service they provide. Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback through TripAdvisor and look forward to seeing you again very soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I love this hotel ,
I got the room through priceline. I asked that my room to be on the floor 14
bacause there is a washing machine and a drier in that floor which is so convinient..

The breakfast buffet is not included but I advice you to try it once... you wont regret it..
it is a 5 star breakfast..never so something similar in the area

parking is next to the door, and is free

in the area if you love walking walking right and left will take you to good shopping destinations..
use google maps to discover them,,

also you can request a shattle to take you to Fair oaks mall.

I got a free wireless... ask for the code when you check in

hangout in the lobby in the weekends to see weddings :)

again and again I always enjoy this hotel

there is no microwave in the room but there is a 24 hours grab and go grocery center down with a microwave , you can use it for free..

one thing ... the room was not that clean...but you can always ask for them to clean it again

Room Tip: the 14th floor is good to wash your cloths... but there is some noise because it seems that there ar...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Dear Eiman A,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. It is terrific to hear that you had a wonderful stay and had the opportunity to experience all of our wonderful amenities our hotel offers. We hope to see you again very soon.
Niceville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I’ve stayed here a couple of times while in the area on business. The lobby has been renovated since my last stay and looks great. The rooms are clean, comfortable and provide a relaxing environment. The staff are great and very helpful. On this most recent trip, I had some down time between meetings and got great advice from Rani at the front desk on some places to check out in the area. Turned what would have been just another business trip into a really enjoyable one. Will definitely be back on my next trip.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for going out of your way to write this review. We are thrilled to hear that you had an enjoyable stay and had a chance to interact with our wonderful front desk. We will be sure to recognize our staff for the fabulous service they provide.

We are looking forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Fairfax.
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

They have done a lot of work on this Hyatt recently. The lobby is more open, bright and inviting. The lobby bar area is a great place to hang out with friends, family and colleagues. The rooms are comfortable and include a desk and a couch. Plenty of room. My only complaint is the hotel wi-fi was a bit spotty. It needs some more power.

Great hotel and will stay again.

Dear Joe F,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on TripAdvisor. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our newly renovated lobby. We are excited to announce that we are in the planning stages of our multi-million dollar room and meeting space renovation. We are looking forward to you welcoming you back to our hotel on your next trip.

Been to Hyatt FairFax at Fair Lakes? Share your experiences!