“Clean but NOT child-friendly” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Spa Package
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Fairfax
Newburgh, Indiana
“Clean but NOT child-friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

We stayed here for a week while my husband was working in Fairfax. First, the PROs: very clean (someone was always mopping, vacuuming, gardening, etc), location is good (easy drive or even walk to restaurants, groceries), there was a fridge in the room (no microwave); there is free laundry on the top floor; the internet is free & worked well for 'hotel internet.' The CONs: you have to arrange in advance to get breakfast in your room rate (call hotel directly), otherwise it costs $18 for adults and $9 for children; the pool does not open until 5pm most days and you may only swim when the lifeguard is there, and Mon-Thurs, the lifeguard pulled out a big box of pool noodles & toys for my three children, but a different lifeguard on Friday told my son they had no toys (which was clearly a lie and as we were the only guests using the pool, I'm not sure why he lied about this); the doors SLAM if you aren't very careful, and we could hear anytime someone on our floor came or went. Overall, fine for business travel but not at all good if you have children with you. Kids like to swim, and their parents like free breakfasts, especially when all a kid eats is a half of a bagel (not worth $9!).

• Stayed April 2014
Tamara B, Manager at Hyatt FairFax at Fair Lakes, responded to this review, May 3, 2014
Greetings from the Hyatt Fairfax!

I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Hyatt Fairfax and we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and let us know where we can make some improvements.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us but we are also disappointed to hear that you experienced some inconveniences. We offer an enhanced breakfast buffet which can be purchased as a package and may be included in your room rate. We also offer our child-friendly pool to all guests, however due to Fairfax County ordinance, a lifeguard must be present during pool hours. It is through guest’s feedback such as yours that we can improve our customer service.

Thank you again for taking the time to complete this TripAdvisor survey regarding your recent stay with us. On behalf of the entire staff, thank you for choosing to stay at Hyatt Fairfax. We hope you will think of us on your next visit to Fairfax and we look forward to being of service to you in the near future.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss your stay further.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Conway, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

I am staying at the Hyatt now. Room on floor 7. Room is a mini suite that is divided by a TV to a sitting area and desk. Great room layout, small bathroom. Coffee machine and brew needs to be upgraded. Great bed with a restful night. Walked a block to Jason's Deli. Great stay, nice hotel.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for going out of your way to share comments about your recent stay.

We are very happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay. We enjoyed having you as our guest and hope that you will visit us again.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a wedding and stayed in a block of rooms reserved for wedding guests. We thought that breakfast may be included so we went downstairs. As we walked towards the lobby, there were no signs indicating the price of breakfast. There were no signs ANYWHERE. We saw some friends of our sitting and as we approached the table, the waitress asked us if we would be joining our friends. She said nothing about the price, never showed us a menu. We said okay. We sat and got our food and realized that our friends had been given a check. We asked the waitress and she said, "You have to pay for breakfast unless it is included in your room stay." We said that we were in a wedding block so it probably was. She went to check. It wasn't and she said we had to pay $17 per person for breakfast. 20% gratuity was automatically added and the bill came out to about $100 for the four of us.

We went to the front desk to make sure this was right. We talked to the manager right away. She was rude, had NO people skills and basically told us that we had to pay. The waitress came over and said that she had asked us prior to seating whether or not we had the breakfast package. This NEVER happened. The manager basically said we were in the wrong and that we had to pay. Even though the waitress never said a thing about any package and there was not a single sign anywhere about the price of breakfast. And the spread looked like a normal, basic continental breakfast -- nothing special.

After packing, we decided to try again. We spoke to the manager again and she abruptly left in the middle of our conversation to go get the food and beverage manager. He was much more reasonable and said he was sorry that we were not informed and took off 50% of our bill. The manager came back while we were mid conversation and when the food and beverage manager informed her of his decision, she said, "They were told multiple times that their breakfast was not included by different people," and walked to the back.

This manager should not be in the hotel industry. I wish I got her name. I would call corporate and complain about her. She did not try to appease us in any way and was rude during the entire conversation. Not a single smile. I will NEVER be returning to this Hyatt again, let alone any other Hyatt. And I will not be recommending the Hyatt to any of my friends.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Tamara B, Manager at Hyatt FairFax at Fair Lakes, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Hyatt Fairfax and we appreciate you taking the time to complete this TripAdvisor survey to share your experience and letting us know where we can make some improvements.

I would like to sincerely apologize for your experience regarding breakfast. Breakfast is offered to all of our guests and may be included in your rate if it is booked with a package. We value you as our guest and your feedback is being used as a training and development tool so that our staff can provide outstanding customer service from this time forward.

Thank you again for taking the time to provide feedback through our TripAdvisor survey regarding your recent stay with us. It is through guest’s feedback such as yours that we can improve our customer service. On behalf of the entire staff, thank you for choosing to stay at Hyatt Fairfax. We hope you will think of us on your next visit to Fairfax and we look forward to being of service to you in the near future.

New Haven, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

I like Hyatts and stay at them when I can so was a little surprised when the room weren't quite what I was used to and laid out a bit awkwardly. I was also surprised that most of the very few available TV channels were not HD (which may sound petty, but as a high volume traveler, it's the little things that make the difference). Bed was excellent and there was plenty of storage for my clothing. The biggest downside was that the kitchen was constantly out of menu and bar items, and that you had to wait in the front desk check-in line in order to pay for anything out of the coffee bar in the morning. I expected more from Hyatt.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to complete this TripAdvisor survey. We are very happy to hear that the beds and the spacious closets were to your liking. I would also like to take this time to apologize for the deficiencies you experienced with food service during your stay.

We do appreciate your feedback and will certainly use it to improve the experience for our future guests. On behalf of everyone at Hyatt Fairfax, thank you for choosing to stay with us. We hope to host your next visit to Fairfax.
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

My husband and I arrived on 4/12 to celebrate our son's 10th birthday and departed on 4/14. On 4/13, we left the hotel to go to the Maryland Science Center. We came back to our room later that evening to find that Housekeeping had not made the beds or emptied the trash. I called the front desk and was informed that a Housekeeper would be sent immediately. After an hour wait, the housekeeper arrived and I asked if she could come in ten minutes as we were preparing to leave. She replied, "I leave at 10:30, would you like clean towels and no new linen?" Seriously!!

I have stayed at various hotel chains ranging from Holiday Inn to the Fairmont and have never experienced such poor housekeeping. This will be my first and last stay at the Hyatt Fairfax at Fair Lakes!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Tamara B, Manager at Hyatt FairFax at Fair Lakes, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
We would like to thank you for taking the time to complete this TripAdvisor survey. We do appreciate your feedback and will certainly use it to improve the experience for our future guests.

I am deeply disappointed to hear that you had a less than ideal stay at our property. I have forwarded your comments to our housekeeping department. Please rest assured that we take all of our guests’ feedback very seriously and that we will address these issues with your room immediately.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Hyatt Fairfax at Fair Lakes. If you would like to discuss these issues further please do not hesitate to contact us. We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back to Hyatt in the future and give us another chance to provide you with the kind of exceptional experience most of our guests enjoy.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

The room you see is not what you get. Wanted two full beds with sitting area to relax. Got a king and another full size bed as mentioned by other visitors comment. There is nowhere to sit and watch tv. Also to change. Also no breakfast included. Breakfast can be found in the restaurant but for 18 dollars and overpriced. Very disappointed. The carpet and walls are outdated. Looked like a dorm and beat up wallpaper.

Stayed April 2014
Tamara B, Manager at Hyatt FairFax at Fair Lakes, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to complete this TripAdvisor survey and your feedback is much appreciated. I sincerely regret to learn that your expectations at our hotel were not met. Our hotel does offer multiple room types to meet the needs of our varying guests, including rooms with sitting areas. A lavish breakfast buffet is offered and may be included in your rate, if purchased as a package. And finally, we are excited to announce that our hotel is in the planning stages of a full guest room renovation.

On behalf of everyone at Hyatt Fairfax, thank you for choosing to stay with us. We hope that next time you are in Fairfax, you will give us another chance to provide you with the kind of exceptional experience most of our guests enjoy.
Virginia Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Recently stayed here for two nights and had an exceptional stay for a few reasons. This was my first time using any Hyatt branded hotel, so I wasn't sure what I was getting into. I'll definitely stay with Hyatt again.

The reasons it was so good: One, the staff is superb. Everyone has a smile on there face and is quick to greet you with a genuine "good morning" or 'hello". This goes from the front desk staff, to the restaurants to the housekeeping. Second, this hotel and rooms are ridiculously clean. I couldn't even find dust on the windowsills behind the curtains in the room! Third, it's a great location, close to a bunch of restaurants and shopping. Like within a 3 minute drive in either direction. It's easy to get to off 66, if you are coming from there.

A few cons, however. It is tricky to find. I'm not sure if we came a "back" way or something, but the "Hyatt" sign letting you know you're at the hotel only faces one way. We drove right past it because we didn't see it and had to turn around. The second con (along with a suggestion) is that the entrance from the parking lot is as bad of an "entrance" to a hotel as I've seen. It really does make you think you're walking thru a back door or service door. Now, as soon as you get to the lobby, it's immaculate, but the hallway and entrance could use some work. Put some fake plants up, maybe some pictures or DC/area on the walls?

The Nova Grill was great for breakfast. Exceeded my expectations in quality of food.

Bottom line: Stay here, you'll love it. Beds are comfortable, service is fantastic and the hotel is super clean.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Hyatt FairFax at Fair Lakes? Share your experiences!