“Do not stay on the East Side of the hotel if you aren't an early riser!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt FairFax at Fair Lakes

Double Your Points
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Fairfax
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Leesburg, Virginia
“Do not stay on the East Side of the hotel if you aren't an early riser!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We attended a wedding this weekend at the Hyatt and the wedding itself was lovely, very well planned and coordinated despite a very grumpy bartender! My review is really for our room itself though, not the event.

We requested a King room and were given one on the east side of the hotel on the 8th floor. The room was much warmer than the 70 degrees being displayed on the thermostat, but was very nice. You walk into a sitting room with a desk, sofa, and coffee table and then can walk further into the bedroom and the bath areas. There is a cabinet with drawers that has a tv on a swivel on top so that you can watch from any of the three areas of the room, the sofa, the bed, or even while getting ready in the bath area. The room was nicely appointed, although I would have loved there to be a mini-fridge. I was also impressed by the card that described a long list of items that the hotel would bring directly to you in your room, free of charge, to keep or to borrow, the usual items like basic toiletries, but also slippers, wine bottle openers, make-up remover, etc. I ordered the foam pillows and some make-up remover and they arrived very quickly by a friendly member of the maid staff.

The room itself was nice, well laid out, comfortable, great water pressure in the shower, I was very happy with the accommodations... that was until about 6:30am the following morning...

As I mentioned, we were attending a wedding, so we had been out quite late and since checkout was not until noon, we had plans to sleep in until around 9:30am. Sadly, those plans were changed by the rising sun. Around 6:30am I was awoken by a loud popping noise, which was followed by more popping noises, some creepy elongated creaks, and some other interesting and pretty loud noises. I laid there being annoyed and wondering what on earth that noise could be, maybe window washers? Their ropes hitting the glass again and again... No... after looking out the window, it finally dawned on me that with the dawn comes heat, and with that heat apparently comes some lovely growing pains for the hotel itself. It was fairly impossible to get any more rest after that, the popping and creaking continued on for the next two hours at least and even though we had the thermostat set to 60 degrees, the lowest possible setting, the heat expanding our side of the hotel also made our room terrifically warm and pretty uncomfortable overall.

When I stay in a hotel, I always hope to get lovely uninterrupted sleep in a room in which I can turn down the air so that it is nice and chilly and I have to bundle up under the covers. While normal guest noises were non-existent, an unusual and much appreciated occurrence in my experience, the hotel itself decided that I could not enjoy the cool or the silence once it began to wake up with the sun.

I would definitely try this hotel again, but would choose to stay on the West side of the hotel, hoping to get a couple more hours of sleep in... regardless, the A/C needs to be fixed, it was an issue throughout the hotel and was mentioned by all the guests we spoke to during our stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Indonesian first
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

If you don't mind battling traffic into the city, this is a great option for a hotel outside of the city to save some money. The lobby and bar area were recently remodeled and look great. The rooms are nice and decently appointed though could use some freshening up eventually. Overall a good choice.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

The staff here make this hotel one of the best in the NoVA area.

Friendly bartenders if you drink, Bryan and Elida make great drinks.

The restaurant has a great menu, priced reasonably for the quality of the food.

The front desk staff, Erin and Roni were fabulous. I arrived around noon and was allowed to check in immediately.

I have stayed in several hotels in the area but this is the one I always come back to trip after trip.

• Stayed January 2013
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt FairFax at Fair Lakes, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Hi Cheyenne1988,

Thank you for taking a moment to share comments about your recent stay at our Hyatt FairFax at Fair Lakes. Your comments about our helpful employees are greatly appreciated. Hyatt takes great pride with feedback such as yours. Bryan, Elida, Erin & Roni will be recognized for their excellent service provided during your stay with us. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to welcome you back.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Little dated but clean rooms. Nice flat TV with many channels. No minibar in the room, just water and coffee.
From the nearby highway constant buzzing is audible.
Free WIFI is now included in the room price. Breakfast is plenty and delicious, however quite expensive.

Room Tip: Choose rooms facing not the highway.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Our weekend stay at the Fairfax Hyatt was an exceptional experience for my family and me. What stood out the most was the hospitality we received from the GM and his staff. They went out of their way to make us feel at home from the day we arrived to the day we left. From the staff providing activities for the kids (egg hunt, coloring etc) to having the GM share many ideas for things to do and offering different dining places to experience in the area. We also enjoyed the Easter brunch at the hotel which catered to both adults and children. We look forward to our next stay!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt FairFax at Fair Lakes, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Hello Cecile S,

Thank you for taking a quick moment to share comments about your recent stay at our Hyatt Fairfax at Fair Lakes. I am glad the General Manager and the employees made you feel welcomed as our guest. Our Executive Chef will also be recognized for the delicious holiday brunch you enjoyed with your family. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to welcome you back as our guest.

Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I travel quite often for business, and am accustomed to a certain sense of familiarity and friendliness in hotels that I frequent regularly. I was pleasantly surprised to recieve the same sense of comfort at the Hyatt Fairfax at Fair Lakes during my 5-day stay. This was an unusual trip, as I was also traveling with my 11 year-old son. I felt as though the staff (Particularly Theresa King) genuinely had an earnest interest in our enjoyment of our stay and were vying for our return. This will absolutely be a "Regular" spot when my travels bring me to Northern VA.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt FairFax at Fair Lakes, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Hi Itzyourmove2,

Thank you for taking the time to share comments about your recent visit to our Hyatt Fairfax at Fairlakes. I am delighted to hear how much you enjoyed the personalized service during your stay. Our employees will be recognized for the excellent service. Hyatt takes great pride with this. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit.

Safe travels,

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This Hyatt is a hidden Gem in the Fairfax area, has recently been upgraded in the Bar and Lounge area The Staff and GM are very great in taking care of their visitors, location is great if you are doing business in D.C , Fairfax or Chantilly .

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt FairFax at Fair Lakes, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Thank you for such thoughtful feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and found the staff and GM to be great. Thank you for choosing Hyatt Fairfax at Fair Lakes. I look forward to welcoming you back to our property in the near future!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate

Been to Hyatt FairFax at Fair Lakes? Share your experiences!