“Very easy night” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 23 hotels in Fairfax
Charlottesville, Virginia, United States
“Very easy night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I am came in late and left early, but everything was simple, clean and quick. Which is really everything I was looking for, and amazing how often is messed up. Used the exercise room, and the coffee bar for a cup of joe and a muffin. Great night.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

174 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Itasca, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Let's start with the good stuff. The hotel room was spotless. The staff is friendly and accommodating and the exercise room has more equipment then most. Like the room it was very clean. I forgot to bring a toothbrush and the front desk didn’t have one on hand. However, they said they would ask someone to bring one up to my room. As promised, within 10 minutes I was brushing. Nicely done housekeeping and front desk.

The Nova Bar & Grill had the worst service I’ve experienced in quite a while. We at in the bar restaurant and though the server was friendly, she was utterly incompetent. She was extremely slow, didn’t check on us until we were done, didn’t ask if we wanted coffee or desert, didn’t bring the bill until we sat there for 20 minutes and didn’t pick up our payments for another 20 minutes. It would have been longer but we went to the bar to pay and it was at that time she “remembered” us. When we asked the bartender if we could pay at the bar she rolled her eyes and said yes. Not a stellar restaurant staff. To make matters worse my tablemates said the food was so-so. My pork loin was more like shoe leather so I’d call it less then so-so. The only redeeming quality to the restaurant was the time between ordering an getting our food was pretty quick. Pretty sad if that is the high point of a restaurant visit.

I ate breakfast on Friday and while the service was good, the food was simply average. I had the breakfast buffet. Not good, not bad. More like you would find at a lower end hotel.

When in the room the noise level in the hall and the room next door was louder then average. Not horrible, but not enough sound batting in the walls.

My recommendation: Stay at the hotel, eat elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Centennial, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

The Hyatt Fair Lakes provides just what a business traveler is seeking -- a spacious room with a sitting area suitable for work, a comfortable bed, friendly and accommodating staff, excellent location with plenty of nearby restaurants and shopping, and fairly easy access via shuttle to the DC Metro. I visited over the Inaugural period and was pleased with my stay. The place was filled to the brim with touring students from various states who were attending the Presidential Inauguration, and the hotel staff did an excellent job of keeping the aggravation for other guests to a minimum.

My suggestions would be to provide a blanket as an option through the winter months -- exterior freezing temps made my stay a bit uncomfortable, consider refinishing some of the furniture pieces, and make sure tubs drain effectively.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

I spent a week at this Hyatt in early January 2013.  For health reasons, I booked an ADA room.  My room was perfect for my current needs.  I didn't have a chance to take pictures, but my room was exactly as the photo Hyatt shows online:  well lit with a queen size bed, sofa bed, desk and a very comfy desk chair, a room divider with drawers and a flat screen TV viewable from the bed as well as from the living are, a good size closet with an ironing board and iron.  The bathroom was also very nice. The only criticism I could do of the room is maybe that the wooden furniture could use some refinishing.

The hotel's location is great, just a block or two from Fair Lakes shopping center, with lots of stores (among the largest Best Buy, Walmart, and Target) and a multitude or smaller stores and chain restaurants such as Olive Garden.  There is also an urgent care clinic in that shopping center.  Four to five blocks in the other direction, Whole Foods, Starbucks, etc.

I had a chance to eat at the hotel restaurants for breakfast, afternoon tea and dinner.  The food was pretty good and service excellent, not just at the restaurant but at The hotel in general.

Wi-Fi Internet is available at the lobby for free.  In room wi-fi (or broadband) costs $10 plus taxes or $13 plus taxes for more up to three devices, per room per day.

Shuttle service is offered to Vienna Metro, but you need to reserve.  The day I wanted to use it, it wasn't  available in the morning.   A cab to the metro costs about $23, so plan accordingly and reserve the shuttle!

Overall, an excellent experience.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt FairFax at Fair Lakes, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Expat-in-Cabarete:

Thank you for going out of your way to share feedback about your recent stay at our Hyatt Fair Lakes. It's great to hear our employees could provide a room perfect for your needs. Your comments with regards to the excellent customer service will be given to our Management team. Our staff will be recognized based on your comments. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to the area!

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

a mixture of business and pleasure on different occasions. This is a great friendly hotel that really tries to make your stay what you want! From a business point of view the staff were flexible and always tried to meet what was sometimes a changing requirement. As a holiday destination, it has a great location foir Blue Ridge Mountains, DC, Civil War battlefields and great shopping locations - Tyson's Corner, Fairlakes MAll, Fairoaks Mall etc - albeit you do need to have a car.

NB Review is from before January 2012

Room Tip: Avoid rooms next to lift shaft or Ice machine point! If possible get an end of hotel panoramic room.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt FairFax at Fair Lakes, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide such wonderful feedback in regards to your recent stay at our property. I’m thrilled that you found the staff to be very friendly and accommodating. It sounds like you had a great business and leisure stay with us. Your kind words are greatly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hyatt in the future!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Outstanding, very comfortable rooms with iPod dock and plenty of outlets for laptops, etc. Free internet access in the room would have been a nice-to-have; free internet access is available in the restaurant, bar/grill, lobby and meeting room areas on the first floor. I enjoyed a great meal in the bar / grill. The staff went above and beyond to make sure guests were satisfied, always asking if there was anything they could do to make my stay more comfortable. The pool and jacuzzi are well-kept and handicapped-accessible (lifts and staff on duty). Include the usually-heavy DC traffic in your travel plans. I-66 can be a parking lot during drive times. Easy access to IAD by taking the Fairfax County Parkway (Rt 286) north to the Dulles Toll Road, then crossing over to the free Dulles Airport Access Road.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt FairFax at Fair Lakes, responded to this review, December 25, 2012
Dear refunp:

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your recent stay at our Hyatt Fairfax at Fair Lakes It's great to hear how much your stay exceeded your expectations. Your comments with regards to the services offered by our employees are greatly appreciated. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time you're in the area!

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate
High Point
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

My stay was from Nov 21-24. Based on the reviews I read about staff being prejudice, hotel noisy, dated. First I was treated well by all Hyatt employees. I'm a black man with a butter almond complexion and I didn't feel like anyone was prejudice against me. Everybody was nice and friendly.

I thought the room King size bed was exactly like the one in the photo, as a matter of fact I asked for 3 nights stay and increased it to a 6 night stay. The hotel really is B-u-tay-full. I really just needed to get away and sleep late each day, and this was pour-fect.

Yes I did hear a loud noise in the hotel and my wife and I asked, what was that loud noise. Later that day I walked out and let my door close by itself and it slammed close. I guess because of that someone in another room will probably write a review and say the hotel was noisy. After that day I grabbed the handle and gently close the door. I was on the fourth floor and thought we were the only ones on the floor because it was so quiet.

The food I ordered at the bar was delicious. The gentleman at the bar was kind and helpful as he explained the different dishes on the menu. The list of foods to choose from are longer at the bar.

They spent a bundle in the Life Fitness work out equipment. My wife was in there at least an hour every day. I had a good work out with a 3 mile speed and a 15% incline. Then return to the room and got into the shower with those jet stream shower heads. Almost feel like a massage. Afterward, to sit in the beautiful lobby and read the Wall Street Journal was truly wonderful.

Don't take my word for it, try it for yourself.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms higer up.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, guest relations associate at Hyatt FairFax at Fair Lakes, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for sharing your review. We're thrilled to hear your stay went above and beyond expectations. We work hard to ensure that all of our guests have a wonderful time and we're glad to hear we succeeded. Please feel free to contact us if you need any future assistance. We look forward to your next stay.

Chrissi B.- A Guest Relations Associate

Been to Hyatt FairFax at Fair Lakes? Share your experiences!