“Great Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I was there for two nights this past July. It is a great location - you can take the metro from National Airport and then either call the Hyatt for their pick up or take the free Fairfax bus that will drop you off as well. Then take the metro back to the city easily.

Found the bar service to be great, the breakfasts the same as all buffett breakfasts, but the help courteous and prompt. My only knock was their snack area closed down earlier than what I needed.

Front desk folks more than willing to help with anything - and the room was beautiful with beautiful windows. Not that much to look at, but that's ok. We did have a great thunderstorm roll through - that was great. ;)

I would definately stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Indonesian first
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed for two nights and the hotel staff was friendly and helpful. The hotel is convenient to Fair Oaks mall and in walking distance to other restaurants and other shops. Convenient to 66, for trips in town.. The decor was a bit dated and the lobby chairs are showing wear. When sitting in the lobby you do get that eighties early 90's feel. The beds are not comfortable and the rooms are very generic and a bit dated. The hallways have a subway tile wallpaper, and reminded me of a long conrete wall. The "snack bar" was overpriced ($3 water). While the staff does make it a pleasant stay, the hotel is average to above average, but a makeover would improve the overall experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Convenient location right of 66 if you need to stay in the Fair Lakes/ Fair Oaks area. Good neighborhood. Plenty of shopping (Fair Oaks Mall) and restaurants nearby(Olive Garden, Logans Steakhouse, Joes Crabhouse, Cheesecake Factory, Starbucks). The hotel has undergone a renovation in the lobby and the rooms/ bathrooms but the hallways do give away the hotels age. Splurge on the king suite if you want quiet and privacy as it is off by itself at the end of a hallway, spacious and gives you 180 views.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
McGaheysville, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I have been a Hyatt Customer for many years. There are a number of reasons I continue to come back to Hyatt. Their properties have always impressed me with your facilities, whether on a resort, or a Hyatt Place. They are always clean and nice.

However, the greatest reason has been the people. I have had exceptional service all over the country. However, none compares to the Hyatt Fairfax.

I have stayed at the Hyatt Fairfax for many years, and want to comment on your exceptional staff. The week prior to vacationing at the Hyatt Clearwater Resort, I had stayed at the Hyatt Fairfax, and in a conversation with Theresa King, let her know we would be staying in Clearwater. Upon arrival to our rooms at the Hyatt Clearwater we had a card from the Sales Team at the Hyatt Fairfax, a bottle of wine and a cheese plate waiting in our room. In our teenagers' room we found a desert plate. This exceptional service and gratitude for my stays has earned my continual loyalty, and why I make Hyatt my number One Hotel Choice.

I want to especially recognize Theresa King, Brady Colson, and Anya Moyler of the Hyatt Fairfax, who have taken exceptional care of me over the years as a customer at the Fairfax facility. I view Theresa King as an exceptional Hyatt Representative, but more than that, I view her as a friend.

As a business traveler who spends more than one hundred nights in a hotel room a year, I want to say thank you to Hyatt for their properties, but most of all for the winning culture, and the people who make it a success.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt FairFax at Fair Lakes, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Hello Wayne S!

Thank you for going out of your way to share such detailed feedback about your stays at our Hyatt Fairfax at Fair Lakes. Hyatt takes great pride with hearing about our associates offering the best customer service in the hospitality industry. We will recognize Theresa King for going above & beyond her level of service. We hope to have the opportunity to continue to welcome you back with us.

Safe travels!

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I stayed there for just one night (thankfully) the week before Christmas. My problem started with check-in. The clerk caused my account to be double-charged! She later admitted that she really didn't know what she was doing. When I found my room, there was an odor in the hallway, and trash in the hallway - including a used cotton swab right next to my door. The room had a foul odor too. The bathroom was filthy, and the linens were old and tired. Response to complaints was indifference. The only good thing about my stay there was it's proximity to Whole Foods.

• Stayed December 2011
HyattGuestRelations, guest relations associate at Hyatt FairFax at Fair Lakes, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us. We apologize for a less than great stay. It is our intention to deliver a great experience and on this occasion we failed. We will share your feedback with our housekeeping department so that these lapses do not occur in the future. Please feel free to contact us if you would like to discuss your stay further.

Chrissi R.- A Guest Relations Associate
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I was happy with the staff they were so nice and check in and out was easy. The room looked nice but I am all about comfort and relaxing. So if my bed at home is more comfortable (softer) than a hotel bed that's a problem for me. If you like your bed more towards the harder side than maybe that's good for you. Also the movies in the room were so expensive like over fifteen dollars and there's no way to plug in a cd or laptop etc. The breakfast buffet was overpriced but good and the staff once again were awesome. I would have been happier with this hotel if the bed was comfortable and the bathroom was a little more updated/nice.

Room Tip: IF you want to get to the pool you have to make sure to plan it in, and you must like a harder bed.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

So my boyfriend and I were basically living at this hotel for about 8-12 months for work. One night, I come out to my car and both of my side mirrors are completely ripped off. There is a wire barely holding them to the car itself. I go to the front desk to ask about the security cameras. They don't have any. I could've sworn I saw them outside but I guess they are fake. Since they have signs saying they are not responsible for damage to cars, the manager said there was nothing he could do. I don't consider it damage, I consider it vandalism and I was pissed they would not do anything about it.

This is not a bad area. This is an area full of government contractors and commercial and retail. So I know it was one of the guests or friends of guests staying at the hotel. This was a brand new car so replacing the mirrors cost me over $800 USD.

The hotel is okay but for the location, it's a bit outdated and could use some work.

Giant busloads of children on field trips, cross country tours, religious tours and etc are ALWAYS here. I'm serious. ALWAYS. I basically lived here for almost a year so trust me when I say I almost never went a week without running into kids who were completely devoid of how to act in public. This is not the hotels fault but I think they should've done something about it. It really angered me after working a 12 hour shift and going back to change for a dinner with clients to walk into an elevator where kids have pressed EVERY SINGLE BUTTON in the elevator. Aggravating...but I guess it's more the parents fault than the hotels. But I think the Hotel should probably have a limit as to how many busloads of children they should accept in a week.

I will say though that the housekeeping staff and the front desk man named Boris were just about the best people in that hotel. They were absolutely wonderful and Boris was probably the most professional and accommodating person I've ever encountered. So that earned them the 2nd star alone. Also, one of the women who worked at the restaurant was absolutely a gem. As were the people who worked the coffee bar. It's obvious to me that housekeeping, restaurant servers and Boris are the ones who keep this place running. Upper management obviously needs a change. As well as their lack of security and hotel policy when it comes to not just damage, but vandalism. Would even let me use their phone to call the police for a report...

My advice? You're better off spending less and staying at the Marriott next to the mall.

Room Tip: The panoramic rooms are nice but not worth the extra price. Especially in the winter or summer beca...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt FairFax at Fair Lakes, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Dear Abernathy5:

Thank you for coming on TripAdvisor to explain your recent experience at our hotel. Boris, at the front desk, and our house keeping staff will be recognized for the great customer service they provided. We're sorry to hear what happened with your car while you were with us. We would be grateful if you would contact us directly, so we could look into this further for you. This is not the typical Hyatt experience and we would like to see what can be done. We look forward to speaking with you directly!

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate

Been to Hyatt FairFax at Fair Lakes? Share your experiences!