“Great for a trip to the Capitol” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Double Your Points
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Fairfax
Ashland, Alabama
“Great for a trip to the Capitol”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

We stayed here on a recent visit to DC and found it to be just right. It is about 20 miles from downtown DC but if you time your drive, the traffic is not that bad. We had a deluxe double room and were very pleased. The room was spacious and modern. the hotel is located close to lots of restaurants and shops. The service was quick and courteous.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Parking is easy and check-in was quick and cordial. The room size is great and feels almost like a suite. Our room on the 10th floor had lots of windows and light. The carpet had definitely seen better days, but the furniture was comfortable and the bed was great. The bathroom seemed clean and I didn't notice a lot of mildew as was mentioned in some other reviews. All in all, we didn't see anything besides our room, but we were satisfied. Definitely not luxurious feeling, but totally adequate.

Lots of great shopping and eating nearby.

Huntsville, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel just a night but was a little dissapointed. The lobby is decorated very nicely but once I made it upstairs, that wasn't the case. The hotel had obviously seen better days. The rooms were extremely spacious and, although a little dated, made up for the cons of the hotel. A minor thing, the bathroom was tiny and the light switch was outside of it which got me everytime. The biggest complaint I have is that the wifi was not free. This hotel was ok for a night but if I needed to stay here much longer than that and I would look for an alternative.

• Stayed July 2012
Fairfax Station, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Like many in our area my husband and I had experienced several days of no power from the recent storm so we were looking for shelter. Hyatt had a room available so we jumped at the chance to get away from the sauna that was our home. The rate at $79.00 was unbelieveably cheap. We were able to get a room on a high floor that was very quiet and had a pretty treed view. We were happy to be here but there were a few drawbacks. The towels were thin and there were not many of them, our air conditioning was very noisy, the bathroom was incredibly tiny, the room and hallway were worn and needed freshening up, and no free internet. If you are looking for a basic place to stay at a great price this is a good one, but if you are looking for something a little upscale this isn't it.

Room Tip: Request a high room away from the elevators and ice machine for a quiet stay.
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

I stayed at this hotel while attending a conference in the DC area. Overall, my stay was great, but the hotel could improve on a few things. My check-in was fairly quick, and I was given an e-upgrade to a higher floor. Parking was complimentary. I have to agree with some of the other reviews regarding the decor of the hallways - it does look worn down and somewhat institutional. My room was nice and spaceous, though the furniture could use an upgrade (there were chips and scratches on the tables). The bed was okay for comfort and the room temperature system worked well. I decided against ordering room service since the menu was quite small and they charged both a $3 delivery fee and 19% gratuity. The food was only okay, nothing exceptional. Internet and the lobby computers were not free. The pool was okay, though it did have some very wierd hours (5-10 pm Monday-Thursday, 2-10 pm Friday, closes at 9 pm Saturday, and 6 pm Sunday). Would have expected better hours since most people like to soak in the hot tub in the evening (including on the weekend). In-room coffee/tea was provided, but the bottle of water they provide costed $5 (which was written in microscopic print on the label so you couldn't see it at a distance). I'm not sure if this hotel lives up to the Hyatt name - I expected better in a few areas which I have seen in some lower-end hotels. Price was fairly good - $150/night during the week and $78/night on the weekend. I recommend this hotel to others with some reservations - especially if you want consistent access to the pool and free internet.

Room Tip: Higher tree-line rooms provide a nice view.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Stay was okay. Not the best Hyatt I've ever been to. Check-in was simple enough. The room itself was a nice size with both a sitting area and a sleeping area divided by a half wall that had a swivel tv for viewing on either side. The AC was on when I got to the room, but even knocking it down to 60 degrees, it took 24 hours to get it to a level where I felt it was cool enough... and I'm guessing that was more like 72 degrees at that point than 60. I had a west facing room and the sun coming in most of the afternoon was brutal - even with the curtains drawn.

While the rooms are big, the bathrooms seem to be almost an afterthought in these rooms. The single sink is located outside the actual bathroom beside a mirrored closet. The bathroom itself is just big enough for the tub and toilet. I haven't been in a hotel with a bathroom this small in a long time. And I honestly thought that it was state law that any bathroom in a public building such as a hotel had to have either a fan or a window but these bathrooms have neither which leads to - you guessed it - mold and mildew. There was some mold or mildew accumulated above the door inside the bathroom and the paint on the bathroom door was beginning to chip away. Additionally, you could see mildew in the grout of the floor which discolored it around the tub and then gradually faded the farther away you got from what would be the wettest areas.

Also, there was no hair dryer apparent in my room so I called down to the front desk to inquire. After being put on hold for 2 minutes, I hung up and dialed housekeeping instead - which went to the front desk and I was put on hold again. After another 2 minutes, I hung up and waited about 10 before trying back. Was finally told that the hairdryer should be by the sink - nope. In the closet - nope. I got the feeling they felt like I was a little crazy for not being able to find the hair dryer, but they said they'd send someone up with one. It arrived in about 10 minutes. Not sure if the guest before me stole it or if housekeeping had removed it for some reason, but was annoying to have to hunt one down. It should be on the standard checklist that it's there when the room is serviced.

After going out the first day, I returned back to the room about 4pm to find it hadn't been serviced. Since most of my hotel stays have been one night recently, I thought this might be some new thing where you had to specifically request service if you're staying over two nights, so I called down to ask for fresh towels. They asked if I wanted the room serviced and I said no, that the fresh towels would suffice. They arrived in about 10 minutes. I took a shower and laid down to nap....at about which time housekeeping knocked on the door and was in the process of opening it by the time I got to it, wrapped in a towel to say "no, thank you." Guess I should have put up the chain, but I figured if my room hadn't been serviced by 4pm, it wasn't going to be.

The rooms aren't really well insulated, so if you're a light sleeper, plan to be woken up by noises of water running in the room above yours or slamming doors in the hallway.

Overall, the stay was fine and these were minor annoyances, but a few did make me kind of scratch my head. Just not what I expect from the Hyatt name. But, the room was also only $79/night which is a steal around the DC area so I guess that explains it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

My husband & I stayed here during a week in early spring. We enjoyed, however it didn’t start off that great. The lady who checked my husband in forgot to add my name to the reservation. He wasn’t there once I arrived at the hotel so I couldn’t get a key to our room. The manager on duty was who was checking me in at my time of arrival, he was very understanding as he explained the room key policy, he offered to give me a room to stay in being I had drove several hours, until my husband’s return. Overall the hotel is beautiful, doesn’t look like the pictures online, but would definitely return if the need ever presented itself.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt FairFax at Fair Lakes? Share your experiences!