“Awesome!! Excellent!! Superb!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Fair Lakes Fairfax

You added Residence Inn Fair Lakes Fairfax to your Saves list
Residence Inn Fair Lakes Fairfax
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   12815 Fair Lakes Parkway, Gps Address: 12700 Shoppes Lane, Fairfax, Fairfax, VA 22033   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Fairfax
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Awesome!! Excellent!! Superb!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

WARNING!! Awesome, but lengthy and detailed review alert :)!!

All I can say is there are not enough adjectives to describe how great this place and it's staff were during my stay, but I'll try. I wanted a quiet place to celebrate my birthday weekend "for one" and the staff managed to make me feel as if I was surrounded by family and friends I'd known for years. This hotel delivered!! The staff (Karla, Isaac, Sara, Edgar and Griselda) offered exemplary service.

Karla-who spoke so highly of the property that I chose it based primarily based on our conversation alone (I never do that-I research to the hilt!!) Once I arrived, her hospitality only increased. She met my every need and exceeded my expectations; she was so attentive and a true representative of the Marriott brand!!

Next, Issac-my "upgrade" angel. Being a member of the Rewards Club, the Marriott agent told me she'd ask for an upgrade for me, but it wasn't guaranteed. When I called to ask a question, Issac, wished me a pre-happy birthday AND informed me that I'd been upgraded!! I was thrilled!! I would have been happy in my studio room, but the one-bedroom was a delightful "pre-birthday present". Both Karla and Issac took the time to listen to my needs and accommodate my desire for a quiet, high floor, away from traffic and the elevator (not that noise was an issue-the property was SO quiet, it was amazing). I mean it, it was extremely quiet and this was a Friday-Sunday stay. No loud parties or noisy "neighbors", no children/teens running through the halls; even with a major highway behind the property, it was still very quiet (my room faced the main building away from the highway) and all I heard was slight generator noise, which after a while become pure, white noise). Just plain quiet.

Next, Sara, who obliged me in my requests for a photographer to help me remember my stay and also offered me headphones for my workout when I didn't have a pair. She was just so nice and pleasing.

Finally, Edgar and Griselda, also were so nice and patient. Edgar escorted me to see a two-room suite for a future stay and Griselda made sure my room was ready and superbly clean. She also took pictures of and with me with the staff during my special day. I didn't meet one person who didn't treat me as if I was the most special guest at the hotel!!

I travel a great deal for business and I can honestly say this is now my favorite property and I will definitely return as often as I possibly can!! The accommodations-that bed-I wanted to take it with me (and I have a Sleep Number bed at home, but boy, I think I'd trade for this one); free breakfast (can you ever go wrong with waffles with fruit and whipped cream and yogurt??) and atmosphere met and exceeded my expectations!! Plus, I can honestly say it was the cleanest property I've even had the pleasure to stay (and I'm a hotel "snob" in the nicest way-I like the best :). If you're looking for a hotel with a "view" look elsewhere, but if you want the best staff, clean accommodations and a quiet atmosphere at a nice rate, consider staying here!! Kudos on an awesome staff and property!!

The photos are a little out of sync, but you get the idea.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, away from highway and the elevator for the quietest experience.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

best Residence Inn I have found in DC area. The difference? This property is "owned" & operated by Marriott. When Marriott switched to a franchise business model the experience started declining…. not matching promise of the brand. It makes all the difference…. franchise owned Marriott properties can be hit and miss. So suggest when making a reservation- ask if it is company owned or franchise owned.

Some of the franchise Marriotts I have recently stayed in:
"not clean"
"old 1980's"
"poor service- apathy"
"reservations screwed up at check-in"
"no air conditioning in room- 80 degrees (Chicago)"
"sundries market not restocked"
"TV didn't work- none could fix it- only one person running property"
"No luggage carts around- 'don't know where they are'
and on and on-
FIND A MARRIOTT OWNED property- they are getting scarce.

From a Marriott Platinum "Road Warrior"

Room Tip: ask for first deck
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Chanhassen, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Had a good stay at this Residence Inn, with location very convenient to work and restaurants. Several choices of fast food are within walking distance, with many choices a short drive away.
Note that my GPS (and apparently others) had a very difficult time finding this hotel. I'd suggest maybe programming in the Crab Shack which is near by and driving past it to get to this hotel.
Very friendly staff. Room was clean. No problems encountered while there. There is a small pool and nice patio area.

Breakfast is a standard Marriott one - plenty of choices and cereals, etc.
The happy hour, once standard with Residence Inns in DC, can not be counted on. Tuesday was a large hot dog, Wednesday turned into only a waffle sundae - which was served much latter that night, and nothing on Thursday. Mostly don't count on it - while other local Res. Inn happy hours have been going down hill lately, this one gets an incomplete.

This hotel did not follow their environmentally friendly "re-use towel" rules. They always replaced the towels every day even when I hid them behind the door.
Another minor complaint was the amount of bleach used with all the linens, which did not get properly rinsed out. This left a very strong chlorine odor that may keep you awake if you're sensitive.

I will stay here again when working in the area because of it's convenience.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Hannah A, General Manager at Residence Inn Fair Lakes Fairfax, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Thank you for choosing the Residence Inn Fair Lakes and for writing a review following your stay. Your feedback is valuable to us and will help us to improve. I will certainly share it with the rest of the team here and make efforts to correct any errors on our part.

We look forward to welcming you back on our next visit to the Fairfax area.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2015

This Residence Inn is particularly in a great location. It’s right next to a huge shopping mall, which makes your stay extra convenient. The staff is friendly and the rooms are clean. If you are looking for a large pool, you won’t find it here. Also, the hotel sits on a sloped hill in which a major freeway runs behind. Yes, you do hear the freeway noise. Also, there is a “basketball court” but if you don’t make the basket, the ball will run down to the fence by the freeway. On another note, the property is open with 3 separate buildings. Anyone can wander through but you need your room key to enter any of the buildings. Also, keep in mind this is an extended stay hotel. One positive thing to note is that there is a nice outdoor patio.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Hannah A, General Manager at Residence Inn Fair Lakes Fairfax, responded to this review, February 20, 2015
Thank you for your feedback and for choosing the Fair Lakes Residence Inn. I was so pleased to hear that you enjoyed the location and the service at the hotel. We look forward to an opportunity to serve you again!

Jakarta, Indonesia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2015

We stayed there for two nights right after the new year. The first thing that hit us when we walked into the room was that the room at some point had been a smoking room. When we questioned them they assured us it was not. There was not a door in the room including the bathroom, bedroom, and main door that was fitted well. There was a major air gap around the doors where you could see the light from the other side. My last complaint was that we asked about breakfast and were told it lasted until 10:30. When we showed up at 10 we were told that it was over at 9:30. We will not be returning.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Hannah A, General Manager at Residence Inn Fair Lakes Fairfax, responded to this review, January 28, 2015
Thank you so much for taking the time to review and provide feedback following your stay with us. I enjoy hearing for all our guests and know that your comments will help us to improve. We do hope to have the opportunity to serve you again next time you are in the Fair Lakes area and to share with you the level of service and product that we pride ourselves on.

Hazlehurst, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2014

Have stayed here before and will stay here again. Have family in the area so we visit as often as we can. Everything is as you would expect at these properties. My wife especially appreciates the well lite bathroom area. She can do her make-up without the need of a makeup mirror, which may sound minor, but important to her and not often found in most hotels. Rooms are always exceptionally clean and comfortable. They are located in good area and within walking distance of several restaurants. Their breakfast is always good and on time. I have nothing bad to say about this hotel.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your review Randy!

We look forward to your next trip to the area and hope to have an opportunity to meet you. I started here at the property at the beginning of January as the new General Manager and I look forward to meeting all our regular guests. Until next time!

Charlottesville, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2014

This complex consists of several detached buildings. The building that housed our hotel room absolutely reeked and the room itself was way over sanitized to mask the nasty smell. Had we not checked-in late and exhausted, we would've demanded another room. Also, we were charged a hefty charge for 1 dog…this was neither explained during the reservation or check-in process. We've stayed in a number of Residence Inns throughout the country and have never been charged such a steep fee. Perhaps this should be a refundable deposit instead of a steep surcharge for responsible dog owners? Clearly, we should've stayed at a fresh 4-5 star hotel that doesn't charge a pet fee.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
IADFL, General Manager at Residence Inn Fair Lakes Fairfax, responded to this review, October 28, 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your feedback regarding your previous stay. We would like to address your concerns with our staff to ensure that we are doing all that we can to ensure that our product and service is at its best. At your convenience, please reach out to the management team here at the hotel so that we may gather additional details. Thank you again.

Been to Residence Inn Fair Lakes Fairfax? Share your experiences!