“Wonderful stay in Horseshoe Valley” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Ski/ Snowboard Areas, Cross-country Ski Areas, Sports
Activities: Cross-country skiing, Horseback riding
Waterloo, Canada
“Wonderful stay in Horseshoe Valley”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

The lodging, amenities and activities were fabulous! The rooms were clean, comfortable and beyond our expectations as were the staff members. The hospitality was above and beyond, they couldn't do enough to satisfy you and your needs. The indoor/outdoor combined pool was fabulous as were the indoor/outdoor hot tubs. The sauna and exercise room were a nice addition. Our rooms consisted of a full kitchen and eating area, laundry facilities, gas firepace, TV in each room, jacuzzi bath, separate shower stall, generous size washrooms, fold out couches and comfortable large beds. The decor is warm and ample closet space. The room supplies all kitchen needs from utensils to dishsoap. Each room has a balcony with chairs, very attractive setting and scenery. Snowshoe lessons are free, and a great experience. Skiing, dogsled, horsedriven wagon ride, are just some of the activities available. I highly recommend this resort to anyone who wants a wonderful holiday experience.

Toronto
9 attraction reviews
“Ski Trip”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

This review is solely based on the ski hills. I did not stay at the resort.
We purchased a groupon which included skiing and tubing.
I'm a beginner skier and found this place very challenging for a beginnner. I've skied serval times at blue mountain and mt st louis. I only went on the green runs. But I found them very difficult. I took the lift to the top of ponytail run and boy was I intimidated!!! It was so scary up there. The intial drop was very steep. I had to conjure up enough strenght to go. I noticed 2 other guys kinda stuck on the top too. They were definitely more beginner than I was, and kept swearing at how scary it looked. I found the hills very icy, and very difficult to try to make s's down carving on ice. Also, I didn't like how the runs intertwined with the other runs. So in some portions I would have skiers zooming past me from the blue runs. Very scary for a beginner! I asked front desk, which beginner run is easier and they replied it's all the same. I would say donkey serenade was not as steep, but the inital drop is still intimidating.
I didn't like when you board the lifts, we had to move very quickly and we had to go right up behind the people in front of us. I feel like I might trip and fall. They need a longer platform. Line up's were not too bad. Didn't have to wait more than 10 min on Sunday. There was staff, grouping people at the quad lift to ensure max capacity.
We did not visit the cafe, it was on the 2nd floor and we didn't feel like hiking up. I was at another ski resort last weekend and trying to purchase food was crazy.(family day weekend). So based on that experience we just brought something to eat.
Everyone we meet there was very friendly. My kids loved the beaver tail stand.
We went over to the tubing and the kids had a blast. Was -15 by then, but kids didn't mind. I liked how there's a fire pit to warm up, and a warming station too. We made the kids take 10 min breaks to warm up. We only stayed about 1 hr, but the kids manage to come down 5 times.
Overall a good day, but we will stick to the other places for now until we improve.

Saint Thomas, Canada
“Great Skiing!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

Had a great day skiing with the fresh overnight snowfall. Got a great overnight WagJag deal for 1 night stay and skiing. But the resort should be able to offer another nights stay for a better price than what the deal was. Hard to pay the same price for a second night as was paid for the 1st night that included an all day ski pass for 2 and skiing even for the day of arrival from 4pm.

Kingston, Canada
“FAMILIES BEWARE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

Visited Horseshoe Valley for a day of skiing and snowboarding with our 4 children. My 8 year old wanted to try snowboarding for the first time, opted for the beginners group lesson package which included an hour and a half lesson, equipment and beginner hill pass. First of all instructor was late arriving at pickup location. We were told the instructor would drop off group at same location at the end of the lesson. Decided to walk to the beginner hill to watch the end of my 8 year old son's lesson, we were met at the bottom of the hill by my 8 year old after making his way down the hill. I asked him where the instructor was as the lesson should have been over at this point. My son said he didn't know and that he had just been going up and down the hill by himself. We walked up the hill to find the instructor and tell him that I was taking my son so as he would know his whereabouts (assuming the instructor would pay attention to a child in his group.) Couldn't find the instructor anywhere. Walked back to the drop off point for the lessons, still no instructor. Walked into the chalet to the service desk to advise I had my son incase the instructor was looking for him. Rep at the desk had no knowledge of an instructor looking for a child. I then proceeded to ask why my 8 year was seemingly left unattended for the duration of his group lesson and expressed my concern for his safety. What I'd he was injured or went missing? Was told there was no manager to speak with and offered a free lesson. My name and number was taken and was told a manager would be in touch. No one from Horseshoe has called. Incredibly disappointed with the experience given we trusted our 8 year old was in good hands and we paid for what we understood was a lesson and a certain level of supervision and instruction, which was not what we experienced.

3 attraction reviews
“Silks dining a real treat !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

Quality in service, atmosphere & food. Will not disappoint.
Friendly staff aim to please & succeed.
Food is a little pricey but treat yourself, you won't be disappointed.

Visited January 2014