“Fantastic Training” 5 of 5 stars

Activities: Cross-country skiing, Horseback riding
Sudbury, Canada
“Fantastic Training”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

I attended the rider training facility for the BMW Off-Road Skill Rider Training. I did levels one and two on two separate occasions. I found the courses to be a fantastic way to build my skills with my GS motorcycle. The instruction is nothing less than superb. Clinton Smout is a fantastic instructor who teaches with a great sense of humour and patience. He is encouraging and extremely helpful. My goal in taking these sessions was to get more comfortable on dirt and gravel roads and tracks. I have been able to apply what I have learned in these courses to my riding at home and have even been practicing the basic skills to stay sharp. I heartily recommend this training to riders of any sort of GS or "Adventure" styled motorcycles. You will truly appreciate your ride knowing what you are capable of doing with it. It is said that over 90% of the world's roads are not paved. Taking a course like this allows you to access those roads with a greater degree of skill and confidence. Thank you to Clinton and his entire staff. I am grateful for the training I received.

Visited August 2011

Toronto
15 attraction reviews
“Hidden Gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

We found this place after getting lift tickets through a friend as a gift. We just started off snowboarding during the 2011 season and fell in love with it. After learning/practicing on several local hills in Toronto, we headed to Horseshoe. We fell in love with it. No it's not as big as Blue Mountain, but we felt that the runs were much more fun. Although we didn't venture into the tricks park, it looked much more fun that the other trick parks we saw. We also liked that the ski patrol was always around but never "in the way". We saw them help out a young guy who fell really hard. Very attentive and careful. We barely saw ski patrol at Blue (where it was very crowded).

We ended up going here about 5 times, with always enough parking, no long line ups at the lifts...ever.

It's just under an hour drive from Toronto, well worth it for a full day (and night) of snowboarding.

Some tips:
store on site for goggles, gloves, etc
Food: coffee shop, Crazy Horse restaurant for food (Yummy food).
Lift tickets: cheaper if purchased online
Lodging: available, although we never stayed overnight since we were only an hour away, but convenient locations to the lifts, including ski in/out options

Visited March 2011
Oakville, ontario
230 attraction reviews
“Good Downhill Sking and Cross-Country Sking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

Each time I pass this place while driving on Horseshoe Valley Road it reminds of the times I was here twice. Once in the 1970's with some Scouting friends who wanted to go downhill sking. One friend commented that he nearly "killed himself" by going down oen of the more dangerous ski runs but he didn't hufrt himself at all. I remained in the chalet all day to keep warm and even remember dooing a survey for the Pepsi Cola Company on their product line. I didn't even get a free sample despite spending ten minutes doing their survey. Secondly, I remember going here in the 1980's to do some Cross-counttry sking. They have numerous miles of well groomed trails and even patrolled by the Canadiaan Ski Patrol. I wasn't planning in hurting myself at all but it is nice to know that they are around in case of any emergency situation. Over the last couple of years, this resort has expanded with Time Share Condos. Based on a bad experience with a Time Share Condo during our honeyone in 1988 while in the West Indias I personally will have nothing to do with this method of lodging again. This resort maybe fee with their Time Share Condo, I personally would ask around if people who have used their Time Share Condos at this resort are upfront about their maintenance fees. Recommend their sking but be cautious about their their lodging if staying overnight based on my own experience as stated within this written review.

Visited November 2010
Peterborough, Ontario
28 attraction reviews
“Golf Courses”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

There are two different courses at Horseshoe Valley in Barrie. The lower course or the Valley course is not worth the price. The golf carts are in horrible shape and jerked you forward every time you had to start. The front nine is a disgrace - tee blocks chewed up and greens choppy - ball marks galore. This is probably what you can expect from a resort golf course. There is no marshall so groups play three off the tee and throw down balls whenever they want. The upper course is is far better condition with the front nine is far better shape then the back nine. You could make one excellent course if you combined the back nine of the valley and the front nine of the highland course. Again no marshall on the course for the Highland so we would watch incredulously as the twosome in front just kept throwing down balls and re shooting. We did stop in and tell them about it but were meet with blank stares.

We stopped into the Crazyhorse for dinner but quickly left. The fine dining was not open and the place was packed with screaming kids and harried waitresses. The prices were too high for simple pub fare and after waiting 10 minutes for service we simply left. When you add on the Resort Amenties tax (3%) we could just not justify the prices.

I cannot comment on the Adventure park but it was full. The pools were crowded and when my husband and I went down at 7 am the next morning for a quiet swim the pool area was filthy dirty with towels and life jackets being strewn about.

We had booked two nights but left early.

Visited August 2011
London, Canada
“The Segways were the best part”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

It is well worth the money and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to try something new and exciting. Learning to ride the segway was very easy took me only a few minutes to get very comfortable. Within minutes I wanted to see how fast it would go.The trails are very nice and it was beautiful to ride through the forest on the segway. The segways make almost no noise and doesn't scare the animals so we saw a few chipmunks and even a deer! The tour guides were excellent- very knowledgeable and helpful. They took the time to make sure we all felt comfortable and could answer every question we asked about the area and about the segways. I recommend a tour from Sapphire and Kyle because they were funny and clearly loved their job. They made the experience very enjoyable. This is one of the best deals on the resort (especially considering the "adventure park" is VERY overpriced!) and I would definitely do it again. It was tons of fun and worth every penny!! My girlfriend and I can't wait to go on the one in Toronto with beer samples!

On the other hand the Adventure park was really overpriced. The Ogo's were great fun and they were worth the money by themselves. I would recommend just buying the all you can Ogo ticket for $15 and not wasting your money on the rest of it. The Zip Flyer, while fun, was not at all worth $29 per ride! They give you a flight time, but we ended up standing at the top of the metal tower for almost 45 minutes in the hot sun with no shade. On the good side, the staff at the Adventure park were great and actually seemed like they enjoyed their jobs. They wanted to help and were knowledgeable about the resort. I wanted to try the Hummer Tour but we didn't have time to do it. The ridgetop mini golf was pretty good and the view from the top was awesome. The hotel was pretty nice- nothing special. It was clean and the staff were friendly and helpful. The soap they give you in the rooms smelled amazing. The area is beautiful and I would go back to the resort just to be able to hike the trails, try the Hummer tour and go on the segways again.

Visited July 2011