“Excellent Stay - Close to Quantico” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #2 of 7 hotels in Dumfries
Huntingtown, MD
“Excellent Stay - Close to Quantico”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2009

As the other reviewers noted, the Holiday Inn Dumfries - Quantico Center is an excellent new property that is, as the title denotes, close to Quantico, with abundant shopping and dining options near by. Parking and check-in were a breeze. They offered a $95 rate for a standard double with two queen beds, provided you have a Government ID. I've not been on base yet, but Google Maps, MapQuest, and some of the locals have indicated that its about 15 minutes away, even with morning base traffic factored in.

Holiday Inn really did an excellent job with the decor in this hotel. Everything is upscale, from marble everywhere - both on the floors of the lobby, the check-in desk, the bathrooms, and of course, the business center where I'm writing this review.

As other reviewers noted, the rooms are very spacious. The beds are very comfortable. The flat screen television is very nice and works well with basic cable plus all the premium channels and pay-per-view offered. My room has a well appointed work desk with connection for high-speed internet and a nice reading chair and lamp to read by. My room also has a refrigerator and microwave for leftovers or that extra bottle of water.

As with the bedroom, the bathroom area is spotless. Very clean. Plumbing all works well.

Having had a long day and a long drive, I didn't feel like going out for dinner or kibutzing in the Quantico Cafe & Bar restaurant. I ordered a club sandwich off the room service menu. While a club sandwich is a no-brainer, they did it well. It was delivered to me in under 15 minutes with a smile for $8.95 plus tip.

As a priority club member, I received a bottle of water at check in along with a ton of what appear to be Easter candies. With Easter approaching this coming Sunday, its nice to see that the hotel staff are creatively thinking about the how to take care of their guests.

All in all, I give the Holiday Inn Dumfries - Quantico Center very high marks - its an excellent place to stay, a good value and affordable, and close to Quantico.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

111 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
brunswick, me
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2009

This was a great hotel, just one exit north of base gates. Nice place to stay, with large common area in lobby and restaurant/bar. We did not eat at restaurant, but did have a few nightcaps with those in our party after a full day at Marine Corps base for a commisioning ceremony. I think the bar closed at 10 p.m. but the area is adjoining the common area and we were able to finish up rather lesiurely. The rooms were a nice size and clean. We had 3 between our party. The staff terrific and made all attempts at requests for early check in, room locations, and directions around town. There is not much to do at this exit, but again, it is close to base, which makes for limited traffic on 95 South to worry about. Three exits north (easy to do) there is an IKEA and a mall and any of the chain restaurants you could want. We ate at Macaroni Grill one night (terrific food but unusally strange service experience). At the hotel exit there is a Crackel Barrel and a Waffle House across the street. We tried both on our last day for breakfast. Both had incredibly long waits. We ended up trying The Montclair Family Restaurant (also across street from hotel) and were delighted to have the best breakfast, probably better than either of the others would have provided. The service was great. The food was terrific and very reasonable. We waited about 6 mintues compared to 45+ for a table at Crackle Barrel. There were 6 in our party and everyone agreed that it was top notch. As I said, we were in town for a a ceremony and graduation from OSC. After family day event on base we found enough time to go into Quantico center and have a bite of lunch. I can't remember what the name of the place is but it is in an old brick building on the right side coming from base onto the main street. Something "pub." In any case, the food was good and very reasonably priced. Large servings of soup or chili. The place is decorated with Marines Corps stuff, but be warned until December this is a smoking establishment.
After parade and ceremony day we had reservation at the Globe and Laurel restaurant. It is right outside the gate a few miles past the National Marine Corps Museum. Has a bar area and also lots of other dinner seating. Again, nice Marine Corps decor and owned by a retired Marine. Service was great for our party of 13. The food was fantastic all the way through dessert. I did not hear a single complaint from our large group. Overall, it was a nice place and fit nicely with the day's theme as a whole.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2008

I was in Quantico for my sons OCS commissioning and stayed 3 nights here. The hotel was very close to the base and to the Marine Corp Museum but traffic was a huge problem. The hotel was very clean and the front desk was helpful. Never tried the restaurant so cannot comment on that. The room was comfortable. There are several restaurants nearby.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
columbus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2008

I went to visit my fiance at the Quantico Marine Corps base twice in Feb and March of 2008, and I stayed at the Holiday Inn both times. This is an excellent hotel. It is brand new. The rooms are clean and comfy. They have flat screen TVs in all the rooms and free internet access. The pool/hot tub area is nice. The staff was very polite and accommodaing. The hotel is very convenient to Quantico (just one exit up I-95) and also the Potomac Mills shopping center. I highly recommend this hotel, it's a great value.

• Liked — Clean and new
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Phoenix, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2007

I was in the Virginia area as I had a committment at the nearby marine base, and while there are a great many hotels to choose from, this one was a great deal, not to mention it was brand new. I stayed from a Thursday to Sunday. The main foyer is beautiful - adorned in marble and contemporary furniture. There is also a bar and a small restaurant in the lobby, albeit, they appear to be relatively unused as far as I could tell over the course of the 4 days we stayed there.

Our room was a very decent size, with 2 queen beds and a very large flat screen TV. There was also a microwave, coffee maker and good sized fridge for our use.

The staff at the hotel are very friendly and very accomodating. For instance, we made tea out of the coffee maker and the water appeared to come out a little dirty (likely it wasn't properly cleaned upon it's last use - no big deal) and we called the front desk to ask for some hot water. They were wonderfully accomodating and got us a lovely flask of hot water for our room.

There is a business center which we were able to access to print out maps of the area, as well as our bording passes, all free of charge. There was also free wireless available in our room and we encountered absolutely no problems in using it.

The hotel also offered a menu of pillows, and if you had a specific pillow preference, they would bring that one right up to you - nice touch! There was no complimentary breakfast at this hotel, although you could get free coffee in the lobby. Since we were staying there so cheaply that wasn't a big deal whatsoever. The restaurant in the lobby did, however, offer breakfast, although we never tried it out.

My only 2 beefs with the room were the fact that the bathroom door always shut on it's own. The fans in the bathroom didn't work very well and so the bathroom really stayed steamed up upon taking a shower. It was a real hassle to air out the bathroom as we could never prop open the door to help the steam escape. Eventually we had to use a suitcase to hold the door open. My other beef was the fact that the smoke alarm above one of the beds was left open and battery-less, which seemed a little careless and likely an oversight (in rushing to open the hotel..did I mention it was brand-new?), but this very obvious safety violation bothers me a quite a bit.

Overall, a very clean, comfortable and affordable stay. Great location and very accomodating staff. They just need to dot their i's a little with respect to some aspects of the room, but other than that, I would highly recommend staying here.

• Liked — Good location, clean
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2007

New property which was having all kinds of problems during my stay. Water was literally running through the ceiling causing a closure of elevators and resulting in quite a mess. Unlike other local hotels, no free breakfast although a restaurant is on the premises. Room was large with nice large flat screen TV. Cleanliness and maintenance were so-so for such a new property. Staff was not the friendliest but they had problems to deal with.

Stayed October 2007
Plymouth Meeting PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2007

This was an attractive new Holiday Inn, and we were in town for an orienteering event (running in the nearby park). The room was very nice and everything was brand new, but the beautiful hot tub was empty and they closed the restaurant after we sat down, at only 8pm. We had some good food across the street at the Mayfair Family Restaurant. The staff was very nice.

Stayed November 2007

Been to Holiday Inn Dumfries - Quantico Center? Share your experiences!