“Watch out - the server tries to trick you on the "kids eat free"” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Dumfries
Charleston, SC
“Watch out - the server tries to trick you on the "kids eat free"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

My husband and I and our three children (ages 11, 9, and 6) had a lovely check-in with the nice lady up front, who gave us little check-in goodies; and the beds were nice (we had a cot rolled in for $10 extra); and the location was perfect for us. However, there is a horrible server in the attached restaurant who nearly ruined the trip for me. The advertising on the billboards says "Kids Eat Free," and we double checked that fact this morning at the front desk. My husband, before walking in to the restaurant with the kids, asked the front desk to confirm their "kids eat free" policy. They said "Yes, kids under 12 eat free," so we proceeded into the restaurant. My husband and I ordered eggs and french toast, and the kids ordered similarly, ordering french toast and eggs/bacon like us. The food was good. The server was not too friendly, but not too awful. She didn't say much, didn't smile much, but she was doing her job okay. Then, we got the bill. Well, we were surprised it was for 5 full meals. I got the server's attention, showed her the bill and said "Oh, but I think kids eat free, right? The bill charges the kids." The server then became very abrupt and rude. She said "Well, if you wanted THAT, then you have to order off the kids' menu." So I said, "But you didn't give us a kids' menu. How would we know that? We ordered from the menu you provided us, and all we know is, we were told that kids eat free." She then said "But they don't eat free off of THAT menu" (meaning the one she gave us) and continued to say "your daughter ordered off THAT menu." I replied "My daughter is 6 years old, and doesn't really read a menu. She ordered french toast because I ordered french toast. But anyway, so what if she ordered off of this menu? This was the only menu you provided the kids. How would we know there was another menu to ask for? Obviously we are a family with young children. Obviously, since your advertising is kids eat free, we are expecting that. How were we supposed to know there are two menus?" She rolled her eyes angrily said she would "try" to get it removed from the bill, but made us feel like we were trying to rob them or something. She did have the charges removed, but she was hostile and I felt almost in tears. I immediately went to the front desk and told the new lady there at the desk (different from the nice lady at last night's check-in) that the server needed to know that when families with young children were staying at the hotel and eating in the restaurant, that they would assume that kids eat free (without additional hurdles) unless explained to otherwise. We had done everything possible to get it right, including confirming with the front desk before eating, and that this server needed to be re-trained on how to approach families. The server needed to know it was her responsibility to provide children's menus and explain the program. The lady at the front desk wasn't interested in my stress at all, nor apologetic. She fliply handed me a card that read "How was your visit? When you get home, please share your opinion of Holiday Inn Quantico Center on tripadvisor.com/review it" and said to me "you can write a review." That was it. Such poor customer service. So here I am. I am sitting in the room of the hotel, reviewing this place, and I have to say, it is a mixed bag. The sweet blonde older last night was terrific, but today's server and the lady with the black hair at the front desk need to be re-trained in how to interact with their guests. Families with children should watch out!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dumfries - Quantico Center, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear KeoghTrio,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comprehensive review. I am pleased that you found our location convenient for your needs. I am deeply sorry for any inconvenience you may have experienced with the occurrence in the restaurant and service received from our staff. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and I hope that you can give us a chance to show you what we have done in the future.

Once again, thank you for your review. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask the Manager on Duty.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel three times in 2012. I have always found it clean and well maintained. The staff is friendly and professional. There is plenty of parking and it is well lite.

The last time I stayed at the hotel, December 2012, I did have an issue with the front desk staff. I arrived at the hotel around 4:00 p.m. and when I went to check in there was nobody at the front desk. I stood there for 3 to 4 minutes before someone from housekeeping walked through the lobby and found someone to help me. When the person arrived she told me she was faxing something. I did make the suggestion of moving the fax machine to the front desk area.

When there are OCS classes graduating at Quantico this hotel gets very full and can be a bit noisy but it is not terrible.

The hotel is about a 5 to 10 minute drive from Marine Corps Base Quantico which is why I selected it. My son was going through some training there and I also have a business reason to visit the base. There is an IHOP restaurant right across the parking lot from the hotel. Plus there are other decent places to eat within a few miles. There are drug stores and grocery stores nearby. They do offer some type of breakfast at the hotel but I have never participated.

The hotel is about a half mile from I-95 and Highway 1.

I will always stay at this hotel when I am in the area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Yokohama, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I spent a couple weeks at this Holiday Inn in December 2012 and found it to be a very comfortable home-away-from-home. The front desk service was outstanding, accentuated by Debbie, who I had several good laughs with during my stay (in addition to answering questions about the local area). Her insistence that I looked like an actor on a TV commercial was the beginning of a fun back-and-forth between us. It felt like we were old friends immediately, which is a nice feeling when you are on the road for long stretches of time.

My room on the fourth floor was quite spacious with a desk, TV stand (and TV), a small armchair and a good-sized mini-fridge and microwave, with two queen beds. I never heard any of my neighbors during my two week stay. I'm not a big fan of the tiny pillows that seem to be a signature of Holiday Inn hotels, but there were 4 for each bed so I compensated for size with quantity.

My only complaint about the property is the tiny laundry room - a single washer and dryer for four floors of guests. I had to be a little creative with my laundry times in order to ensure I got in when it was open. There is a laundromat about 5-10 minutes away that was well reviewed online, and a dry cleaner/laundry service in the strip mall across the street that is very reasonably priced and efficient.

If you plan on driving/commuting on I-95 from here, be warned the morning traffic going northbound into DC is insane, starting near the Dumfries road exit. In the afternoon, the southbound I-95 lanes seem to become a parking lot starting as early as 1 or 2 pm some days and continuing until 7 or 8 pm. You have to be ready to sit in traffic if you are trying to get back to the hotel from the north in the evenings - regardless of the route you choose. Welcome to northern Virginia gridlock!

Highly recommend this hotel if you have business or other events in the immediate area!

Room Tip: Fourth floor was quiet during my stay (front side, west end).
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Pittsfield, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed here for a familky weddng. The staff was very friendly. Everything was cleaned and well maintained. They had a breakfast buffet every morning that was quite good. Was close to the Marine Corps Museum and about 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour out of Washington, DC.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dumfries, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

We stayed here during Superstorm Sandy with our family to lessen the burden of the storms hectic creation. This was our first time here and it was very nice, big, clean, and comfortable (the rooms even have a decent size refrigerator that we could put in some of our perishables and not loose everything). The staff could not have been kinder and more helpful (especially Cathy). We will not hesitate to stay here again if we need to.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Georgetown, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Our Marine Basic School class booked this motel for our 45th reunion and could not have been happier with the service we received. Petra worked with us on setting up a buffet the first night and a Mess Night the second. The food was outstanding, especially the champagne chicken at the buffet and the prime rib on Mess Night. It was some of the best prime rib I have ever had. I can't say enough about Victor, his flexibility and overall supervision of the staff. I was Mr. Vice for Mess Night, a huge responsibility and everything had to be just so; he made it happen. All of the staff was attentive and professional. We will probably not return to Quantico for a few years but when we do, this Holiday Inn Express will be at the top of the list of places to have it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Kailua, HI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

I attended a business conference in the area and stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. It was very clean and comfortable. The 2 queen-sized beds in my room were cozy and the bathroom was spotless. I had no trouble with the wireless internet connection. The hotel appeared to be new, or newly renovated. I am a hotel snob, and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Dumfries - Quantico Center? Share your experiences!