“I thought it had a wet dog smell” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #4 of 7 hotels in Dumfries
Dumfries, Virginia
“I thought it had a wet dog smell”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times. I thought it was okay; but, after staying at some other hotels in stafford, VA why stay at this place? I felt that the hotel smelt like a wet dog. It didn't smell so much in the room but in the lobby and the hallways it had an odd smell. The only real good part is that it is very close to Quantico Marine Corps base.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

31 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Hillsboro, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

It wasn't our first choice but the a/c went out in our first hotel. The Sleep Inn had plenty of available rooms and was still close to my husbands conference. He was there to two weeks (poor guy), I flew in for a long weekend. The place had been refurbished, which was interesting since it looked like it was about due again. We changed rooms twice due to maintenance issues. They staff was very accommodating and willing to work with us. One room had no door jam mechanism so the lock could easily be opened with a card. So we sure to check this on your room. Nearly all the a/c units front venting was broken and some hanging off. We were told this happened during the remodel by the contractors and they just left them. Nice. At least they work. Funny thing, we didn't realize how bad our shower head was in the 2nd room until we were moved again and man what a difference the new one made.

The rooms were all clean and pretty spacious for two people and all our stuff. Small sink area so had to keep my toiletries on the microwave next to the coffee maker, which was fine. There was also a small refrigerator. The breakfast was nice, with coffee & juice, cereals (hot & cold), yogurts, breads, pastries and hard boiled eggs (which I liked). There is a McDonalds around the corner which I walked to one morning for a latte. It's a very busy area traffic-wise, but I felt perfectly safe. There is also a Dunkin Donuts down the hill at Triangle - it's called that because the shape of the intersection I'm guessing. It's about 2 miles maybe, so a good walk if you like. I'm not big on pastries, but the coffee is the best in my book!

I cannot say enough about the staff I met while there. They were all very nice and very helpful when asked. They really seemed to want you to have a nice stay while there. Even after changing rooms twice, they offered to move us again when my husband mentioned the broken a/c vent. We didn't move again, but just the fact that they were completely fine with it. The woman didn't even hesitate, just wanting us to be comfortable. We really appreciated that.

Room Tip: Check out the door jam locking mechanism and shower head flow before unpacking. Nothing worse then...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Columbia, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2011

Nothing fancy here, but cozy enough for a short stay. Breakfast was good with waffles, cereal, bagels, fruit and yogurt. Staff was minimally nice..nothing extravagant. Would be a good stay for DC travel or just a pit stop!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
East Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

I needed a motel near the National Museum of the Marine Corps. Just 2.4 miles away. Check in time is 3:00 P.M., I arrived just after 12 noon. A room was avialable so no problem. Room has a micowave and small refrigerator.. Also a cooffe maker.

Bathrrom only has a shower. Sink area is a tad small, but enough space. Two beds with four pillows each. a iron and board are under a area for hanging cloths.

a Philips flat screen tv has about 75 channels. There is a coin laundry, but the washer unit was down, was able to use the facilities washer. Dryer was operable. Cost for each is $2.00.

Each room is smoke free.

The cleaning staff starts soon after 8:00 A.M. Use your Do Not Disturb sign if sleeping in.

For breakfast, the doors open 7:00. to 10:00 A.M. You will have a choice of two dry cereals, donuts, apple/orange juice and coffee. Oranges and apples for fresh fruit. A waffle maker also avialable.

In the lobby is a P.C., with a 20 minute limit.

A Mexicam restaurant is across Jeffderson Davis Hwy, but traffic makes for a difficult crossing. There is a Ruby Tuesdays .4 mile north of Sleep Inn. With an Applebees north of Ruby Tuesdays.

I could have stayed stayed at a lesser expensive motel. The Sleep Inn had good reviews. Also there no foreign accents to deal with. I would stay again without hesitation.

Jack. Syracuse, New York

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
west ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

We had been driving for 8 hours so it was time to stop for the night. Very sketchy area, didnt feel safe so didnt venture out. Staff at reception very nice, breakfast was average, room was clean but basic, and walls were very thin. A/C worked but noisy so very hot at night. But it was fine for one night at €77 including parking, wifi and breakfast

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
amykeen, General Manager at Sleep Inn, responded to this review, October 8, 2011
I wanted to thank you very much for your review. I first wanted to assure you that this area is extremely safe. We are extremely proud to have high profile government agencies as clients therefore our hotel guidelines to safety on a very high level. As for your noisey air conditioning. I do apologize, once it was reported with a problem, we repaired it right away and is quiet again. Thank you so much for staying with us and hope you come back again.
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

We stopped at the sleep on the way to DC at around 2am as we could not go any further. We were fortunate to rent the last room that day. The property was in very great condition. It looked like it was recently renovated with more updated furnishings.
The room was very nice. The furniture was efficient, and the space was adequet. I especially liked the standing shower that only a few properties in the industry offer.

The breakfast was adequet to get our day going for further travel north.

Overall, very nice property that is kept well, and the service was very good. I believe we got a good value for our $99 rate event though we only stayed for 6 hours.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your kind words. We have worked extremely hard to provide the best hotel experience our guests can have. We hope to see you back soon.
Portland, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

I stayed here last night, no recommendations for it- just had to get off the road, very bad storms/flash flooding. Worst conditions I have ever driven in. I had hoped to make it to NYC on way to New England from NC but just had to stop for night. The price was great ($85 w/AAA discount) and the room was beautiful for a budget hotel. I highly recommend this place- the bed was so comfy, with nice comforter, awesome pillows and all. Plush towels, Friendly staff.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
I wanted to thank you very much for taking the time to compliment the hotel. Trip Advisor is extremely important to travelers, and after all the hard work of renovating the property, it feels great to hear such a positive review. We hope to see you back real soon.

Been to Sleep Inn? Share your experiences!