“Review of Holiday Inn Washington-Dulles & O'Malley's” 5 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #5 of 5 hotels in Dulles
GreenLeadersGold level
Lake Mary, Florida
“Review of Holiday Inn Washington-Dulles & O'Malley's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

Holiday Inn Washington-Dulles is a great hotel that I have stayed at on more than 40 occasions. During each stay, the staff was not only considerate but also adaptable to the parameters of my stay. Regardless of my request, whether it be a late checkout or complimentary toiletries, the hotel staff was ready and willing to comply with my every need. In addition, Holiday Inn-Dulles boats one of the best in-hotel restaurants I have ever visited. For lunches and dinners, O'Malley's Sports Pub and Grill is open between 11:30AM and Midnight every night of the week. Though not open for late night drinking, this restaurant/bar is a good eating and drinking location for both individuals, groups of friends and families alike; sporting more than 20 tables as well as a respectably sized bar. Service here is fantastic. Each and every server attends to you as a client within less than five minutes, and returns to your seat or table frequently to ensure your satisfaction. Additionally, they are all personable and fun spirited people who care about you more as a person than as a customer. These ideal qualities in a server are embodied most notably by Joanie, a regular bartender, who takes the time to remember your name, where you come from, and what you like to eat and drink. I recommend anybody who overnights in Washington DC or Sterling, VA to spend their evening at this location. Happy Travels!

Room Tip: I prefer ground floor rooms close to the lobby for quick access to the hotel shuttle which convenien...

197 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Harrisonburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

We had never worked one of these packages in reverse before so were a little concerned that everything would go right. We shouldn't have been. Arriving about 4 PM, we went to the reception desk and were given a form to fill out and a decal for the car. The car is parked outside in the back area of the hotel, but the lot is fenced. We then got right on a shuttle provided by the hotel for the airport. Everything worked perfectly. Shuttles on our return were picked up with only a short wait and when we arrived at the hotel, they seemed to be expecting us and there was no wait to check in and get our room. This being in spite of a rather large group that was holding a convention at the hotel. Our room was clean, comfortable and had just what we needed for a good night's sleep after a long day of travel. When we woke up the next morning, we had a paper at our door, our bill had been slipped under the door for check out, and we went down to their restaurant for breakfast. The breakfast was either a small a la carte menu or a buffet (possibly due to the group staying there) which worked fine for us. The food was delicious and the price was very reasonable. Our car was in great shape and luckily for us it had warmed up prior to our return - 9 inches of snow from several days earlier had melted away. We will definitely use this hotel as our park and fly option in the future. It's great that it works both ways - park fly stay or park stay fly. Thank you Holiday Inn for getting our vacation off to a good start and ending it on a good note!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

I stay at this hotel every couple of months when I work at Dulles. It is a very comfortable place when one works "on the road". The staff is welcoming and accommodating. The shuttle service and drivers are terrific. Nothing worse than arriving at the airport tired and having to wait a long time for a shuttle! Their's is so good, it arrives like clockwork with a short wait and no call to the hotel necessary. O'Malley's Pub is great. It has a varied menu which provides a lot of choices. The staff is both warm and professional. A great mix! Joni is so so good, she even remembers my name each time I arrive. I actually look forward to staying at this hotel!

Grimsby, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

We got a discount from UA for this hotel because our flight was delayed so we figured we would try it out. It is 5 minutes from the Dulles airport and there was a free shuttle to and from the hotel. There was a big indoor pool which looked clean and there is hot tub. There was a sign in the washroom that said if you forgot toiletries you could ask the front desk for complimentary ones; we didn't have our luggage so asked for toothbrushes and toothpaste and there were no problems. There were lots of pillows on the beds but they all had small grey hairs on them. The alarm clock did not have a buzzer setting, only radio. The hotel restaurant was very good and great service.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

As a member of a flight crew, hotel staff often treat us for granted. Not here! The front desk staff has always been most courteous and accomodating. I have seen them going above and beyond for our arriving passengers as well.
The rooms are spacious and nicelly furnished, with all the expected furnishings. High speed internet with no issues. A nice restaurant/bar on site... not fast food, but you will get your money's worth with great service. Of course, free coffee in the morning.
The van service to Washington/Dulles (IAD) is on time and reliable. But if you are leaving at 6 AM, remember that the van doors will close and the wheels are turning at.... 6AM!
A good stay at IAD.

Room Tip: No traffic noise issues. All good.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Molokai, Hawaii
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

I stayed a week at this hotel on business and did not sleep well a single night. From the first moments of the morning until late into the evening, the events in their meeting rooms kept me awake. These were typical meeting room events--speakers with presentations. Unfortunately, the sound insulation is SO poor that I could hear literally every word in every presentation in my room. Laundry service was slow. Restaurants mediocre. And on that topic: Once you are at this hotel, without a car you are stuck. There are no other places to eat within walking distance. The hotel is typical of a Holiday Inn in terms of facilities. And it was clean and the staff friendly. Those things are not enough to make up for the poor sleep quality.

Room Tip: Get as far away from the conference rooms as possible.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
HolidayInnDulles, Manager at Holiday Inn Washington-Dulles Int'l Airport, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear wandering_bob231,

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I apologize that your experience wasn't what you expected. I am sure it was very frustrating to not get a good night's rest during your stay. I have shared your comments with our management staff, so we can address the noise issues, as well as, the food quality. We do offer a nightly shuttle from the hotel to the local shopping mall and restaurants from 6pm-10pm. We have found that our guest's enjoy this service. I hope you will give us another chance, please consider staying with us if your travels bring you back to the Dulles area.

Heather Williams
Rooms Division Manager
Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

After previous wonderful stays at this property (see previous review) this time was my last. I did not get any sleep either night of my stay.

At check in I was told that they had a "nice quiet room" for me. Great. However I found that to not be true at all. The first night I was awakened twice. The first around 11pm as my new neighbors checked in I guess. This was a pain but understandable, checking in, getting settled in and it was before midnight on a Friday night. The noise didn't last long as I assumed they went out. A little before 2am I was awakened again. The neighbors were back and screaming, cackling, etc. I figured they were returning from a night out and it would die back down once they settled in again. Not the case. After this noise went on for over 30 minutes I called the front desk. They said they would come by the room and speak to them. 30 minutes after that the noise was still continuing so I called the front desk again. They said they would speak to the room again. Now around 3am the screaming and cackling stopped by VERY LOUD conversations continued until about 4:30 am. From the gist of their conversations (I could hear them all) they seemed to be locals and possibly even employees.

Night 2 there was a convention going on and many of the attendees were in rooms around mine, with their dogs. The room next to me had some sort of small dog that yapped non stop form the time they left the room until they returned. A couple doors down was a a bigger dog with a nice loud bark that would go off every so often perhaps when it heard or sensed people moving in the hall by the room. Then around 2 am I started getting weird phone calls. It seemed like convention goers trying to call fellow convention goers but had the wrong room number.

After having great experiences here in the past it was a no brainer to book here when I knew I had to be in the area. I took advantage of an internet rate that gave a discount for full payment in advance with a nonrefundable rate. I guess my discounted rate got me in a less than stellar part of the hotel. The part where they put people with pets and locals/employees.

The room itself (besides too thin walls) was fine, clean and comfy. The issues here are with room blocking. I expressed my concerns at check out. In tears by that point from sleep deprivation. I was told a manager would contact me.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
HolidayInnDulles, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington-Dulles Int'l Airport, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I’m so sorry that this stay did not meet your expectations. I can imagine how frustrating it was not to get a good night’s sleep while you were here. We always try our best to block all groups/conventions together away from our other guest’s. Unfortunately, there are times when the amount of rooms are so large that it is hard to keep them in one area. I apologize that you did not have a relaxing stay with us. I can assure you that this is not typical of the hotel, we are always proactive with our room blocking to ensure that all of our guest’s have a good experience while they are here. I have shared your comments with our management team, so that we can come up with ideas to improve the quality of our product and service. Please feel free to contact me directly with any questions. I hope that you will consider staying with us again.

Zarar Ahmed

Been to Holiday Inn Washington-Dulles Int'l Airport? Share your experiences!