“Airport Overnight Stopover” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Boston
“Airport Overnight Stopover”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

I have stayed a few times in this hotel. It is a functional hotel that handles passengers who have missed connections and aircrews from nearby Dulles Airport. The shuttle bus to and from the airport is key to its success. I was in the hotel only six hours, from midnight to six am. The hotel has free internet and the bed was comfortable.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

193 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

We stayed one night on our way to an early flight at Dulles. We only chose this hotel because of the price and free shuttle to the airport - one of the cheapest for a Sunday night. The hotel is appx 40 years old and it shows. It has been remodeled in recent years, but the wallpaper in our room was already peeling away, the carpet worn and dirty, and several white "fixes" to the wallpaper throughout the room. The ceiling was dingy as well. There were dead bugs in the light fixtures and live bugs that crawled up the bathtub. It smelled musty throughout the entire hotel. The bed was slightly comfortable. The pool was a very long walk away, past most of the rooms as well as the restaurant and conference rooms. We decided not to use it because of the long walk. The restaurant was decent, good service and food was standard fare, though a little pricey. Overall, it was old, smelled musty and had it not only been for one night and about $70 I would not have stayed the night.

Room Tip: If you have children and want easy pool access ask for a room near the pool.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
HolidayInnDulles, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington-Dulles Int'l Airport, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear Jen W,

Thank you for the feedback regarding your stay with us at the Holiday Inn Dulles. I apologize that your experience did not meet expectations. I have spoken with our Executive Housekeeper and Chief Engineer regarding the cleanliness and condition of our rooms. I can assure you that re-training will be taking place to ensure that all guestrooms are in perfect condition before we check our guests in. I’m glad that you enjoyed the food in our restaurant and have passed on your concerns regarding pricing to our Food and Beverage Director. I hope that you will consider staying with us again if your travels bring you back to our area. Your experience is not typical of our hotel and I would like to make your next stay perfect.

Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Pool great for kids. Restaurant was good. Reasonable rates. Front desk and restaurant workers very friendly. Saw lots of airline workers when I stayed for the weekend. Ask for room by pool if needed. Big hotel, lots of rooms on 2 floors. Long hallways and lots of meeting rooms can make for long walk to pool.

Room Tip: Ask for room by pool if needed. Big hotel, lots of rooms on 2 floors. Long hallways and lots of mee...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Kings Park, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Stayed here in early October for my sons hockey tournament at a nearby rink.

Rooms were clean, beds comfortable, staff helpful and location desirable.

I don't usually stay in Holiday Inns, but this one far exceeded my expectations and will cause me to reconsider my general bias against this chain.

And the on-premises pub/restaurant was also very good and convenient.

If you have a need to be in the area, you can't go wrong with this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

The carpet around my bed was incredibly sticky. I complained and it was wet when I returned, heat on to 82, but the stickiness was still there. At the same time no extra toilet paper and few towels.

My teammate wanted to stay there for the pool which was much smaller than advertised.

Horrible food - totally messed up on my allergies - twice!

The people are nice, but the facility not so much

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
HolidayInnDulles, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington-Dulles Int'l Airport, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear PeripatetiPat,

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations. I have forwarded your comments to our Executive Housekeeper and Chief Engineer to ensure that rooms are properly inspected for any issues prior to guest’s arriving. They have assured me that re-training for their staff will be taking place so our team members know what they should be looking for and reporting to management. I have also talked to our Food and Beverage Director regarding the issues you had with your meals and the special accommodations that were not made as requested. I can assure you that these issues are not typical of our hotel. Please consider staying with us again if your travels ever bring you back to the area. I would like the opportunity to make your next stay perfect. Thank you.

Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

I couldn't disagree more with Wandering Turtles. I couldn't believe they were talking about the same Holiday Inn as I stayed at - they must have been talking about someplace else! We've been staying at this Holiday Inn now for three years in connection with a meeting and all our stays have been exceptional. This is a very suitable and comfortable property.

And the service is fantastic! Everyone is so helpful and friendly. I really enjoy the complementary breakfast buffet - and if you don't feel like that much food, you can get 500 points instead! But, I go for the buffet every time. It is very good - all the excellent coffee and juice you can drink.

As for the rooms, they are well appointed and very comfortable. Beds are nice and soft with nice linens. I got stuck with the "firm" pillows (my wife hogged the two "soft" pillows), but I'm sure that had I requested another "soft" they would have gladly brought me one. I was just too tired to fool with it - only one night. Rooms are tastefully appointed and updated; very comfortable. Everything you need. And I really enjoy the free Wi-Fi! I think every place should provide that everywhere, not just the Lobby.

The only negative: (and this is really nit-picking) the nightstand lamps are so light that to turn them on and off it's a two-hand operation, one to hold the lamp and the other to push the stiff button in. Perhaps, some WD-40 on the buttons and some "Grab & Stay" on the base of the lamps would help.

All in all this Holiday Inn is a great stay and so close to IAD with complementary shuttle to the airport. And they have some nice meeting space to boot.

Room Tip: We enjoyed a first floor room, so convenient to lobby, restaurant, store, etc.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We used this hotel as part of a stay and park package for a vacation out of IAD. The concept is a nice one, but is not unique to this hotel. Find another option if you want to do the stay and park.

The rooms (both before and after the trip) had an unpleasant smell and were not well appointed at all. The pillows and beds were not very comfortable and my wife got some sort of bites from the bed on the return leg of our trip.

The hotel does not offer any sort of breakfast option (even if they claim to). In actuality you would need to drive to the nearby Chantilly Holiday Inn to get breakfast. We definitely would not stay here again and certainly recommend you find another alternative.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
HolidayInnDulles, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington-Dulles Int'l Airport, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear WanderingTurtles,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I apologize that your experience with us did not meet your expectations. I have given your comments to our Executive Housekeeper to ensure that all rooms are inspected properly before we check our guest's into them. I'm sorry that the beds and pillows were so uncomfortable. We put brand new pillows in all of our rooms about two weeks ago and have received very positive feedback.

We do have a full service restaurant on property that serves a full American Buffet breakfast and an a la carte option, as well. I'm sorry that you were not able to take advantage of that. The issues that you experienced are not typical of our hotel. I hope that you will consider staying with us if your travels ever bring you back to the area. I would love the opportunity to make your next stay perfect. Thank you!

Zarar Ahmed

Been to Holiday Inn Washington-Dulles Int'l Airport? Share your experiences!