“Convenient, Comfortable, Flight Crews Use” 4 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #5 of 5 hotels in Dulles
GreenLeadersGold level
Pequea, Pennsylvania
“Convenient, Comfortable, Flight Crews Use”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We were looking for reasonably priced lodging close to Dulles, with breakfast and an early morning shuttle. This hotel worked great for us. Check in was prompt, pleasant and professional. We got the a.m. shuttle information we needed right away. The lobby,stairs,halls and room were all very clean. The towels were nice and fluffy. A little thing but nice - the shower head was easy to adjust and was actually positioned to the side to not hit you with the first blast of cold water. The bed was comfortable with plenty of good pillows. The shuttle driver was efficient and no nonsense. She knew the airline crew that rode with us; they were clearly regulars. We had the option in the morning for breakfast for 1 or points -- we chose the former. After dropping me off at the airport, my husband came back for breakfast.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

191 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Schenectady, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

First don't expect that the 'airport' hotel is anywhere near the airport! There is a shuttle but make sure you get on the correct Holiday Inn shuttle as there are different ones for the various Holiday Inns near the airport. They are marked but check before getting on! I waited a good 20 minutes for the right shuttle to arrive. Thankfully the weather was warm. Go to the far end of the hotel shuttle area. You do need to look out for the right shuttle as the place is too small for them all to park so often double park.

Check in was swift and front desk staff polite. The hotel only has 2 floors so don't try and book an higher floor room. The room was large, with the usual fridge, microwave and coffee machine. There was a desk and office chair as well as a comfortable single chair with ottoman. Everything was clean and I was impressed with the overall good state of the hotel. There s a lounge area with comfortable chairs, an open area business center as well as a large TV listing departure information from Dulles with updates every 2 minutes. Very useful!

There is a pub offering food but I did not use it. Breakfast was standard hotel buffet with overall good range of options. Breakfast service was good. I had complimentary breakfast but prices seemed more than reasonable for all that was offered.

The hotel is about an hour from DC with traffic, so don't expect to hop into the city unless you have a car.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Arlington, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I stayed at the hotel and was disappointed in the service and the front desk. I was part of a United flight that was bumped and so stayed on the United Airlines account. Francis during check in said that even though I was a Platinum member, I would not get any privileges. He showed no consideration and was very curt. He said I could talk to the manager Heather the next day, who I later found out was not even on duty. He just used her name to blow me off.

Aziz the bus driver was insolent and knowing I was in a hurry to check in made sure that he gave me my back last - and had the guts to give me his name and say that I could go an complain for all he cared. I was the first off the bus and having been at the airport for over 6 hours was in a rush to check in and get to bed.

The only shining star was Idiana (spelling?) who was polite, organized and efficient. She is great. The internet was super fast and easy to get. The room was clean and comfortable.

Service during breakfast was nothing to talk about. I spilled some scrambled egg on the floor and apologized to the staff and suggested that they clean it up. The did not care and left it there, with unknowing customers walking all over it while they served themselves from the buffet.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
HolidayInnDulles, Manager at Holiday Inn Washington-Dulles Int'l Airport, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Keshavg,

Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I’m sorry that the service you received did not meet your expectations. All of our guest’s are very valuable to us and I apologize that you were not made to feel that way during your time here. We know that our Priority Club members, especially our Platinum guests, spend a lot of time and money in our IHG properties and it is disheartening to hear that our staff did not make you feel as important as you are. I can assure you that re-training will be taking place for our entire staff to ensure that this does not happen again. I’m glad that Idania was able to end your experience on a positive note at check out. This situation is not one that is typical of our staff and I hope you will give us another opportunity to show you how much we appreciate you and your business. Please consider us again if your travels bring you to the DC metro area in the future. Thank you again for your feedback.

Heather Williams
Rooms Division Manager
Western Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

This hotel is 4 miles from Wash/Dulles, so it's a good place if you have an early flight ( although I'd rather have a root canal than fly out of Dulles - but I digress). The room was clean, quiet, bathroom was updated and clean. Internet access worked fine. The bar attached to the hotel was nice enough, food was good, too.

The manager's happy hour was great - free wine or beer, and awesome hors d'ouvres.

Overall a nice place, and convenient with regards to the airport. Price was reasonable as well. I'd stay here again.

Virginia Beach, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We had a long/bad day. Our first flight was delayed then we missed our connecting flight and the last flight was cancelled so we were forced to make arrangements for a place to stay for the night and it was very late. I thought Holiday Inn would be a good choice because I always good experiences at other ones. When we got there the staff was very short and unfriendly but, I was so tired I didn't care that much. The room was left dirty from the previous guest and for some reason they didn't completely clean the room. In the bathroom, there was a dirty towel and a used shampoo bottle like somebody just used the shower and on the desk there was writing on a notepad. We asked for a crib on the phone but, when we got there the front staff said they were out but, maybe they just didn't want to get us one. Either way, we didn't get it. Lastly, as we were trying to get ready to go bed (because that was the only thing we really wanted to do). The staff came to the door and said they heard yelling from the room. We arrived very late and I could see where the noise could wake someone up (we have small children) but, there was no yelling. I didn't like the way it was handled because they knew we just checked-in and there are nice ways to say keep the noise down. Sadly, they decided the rude and unfriendly option was better. This was one the worst stays I've ever had at any hotel and with so many hotel options around dulles airport why choose a dirty room and unfriendly staff.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
HolidayInnDulles, Manager at Holiday Inn Washington-Dulles Int'l Airport, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
I’m so sorry to hear about your experience at the Holiday Inn Dulles. We take great pride in our staff, so needless to say, it is very disheartening to hear that you weren’t treated as a valued guest during your stay with us. I can imagine that it was already a frustrating day when your flight was cancelled. Holiday Inn Team members failed to build upon this opportunity to turn everything around for you. I can assure you that this is not typical of our hotel. We always strive to exceed all our guest’s expectations and make sure that they have a comfortable stay with us. I can also assure you that re-training of both our housekeeping and front office staff will be taking place to prevent situations like this from happening again. I hope you give us a chance to make it up to you if you are ever in the DC area again. Please feel free to contact me directly so I can make sure your next stay is perfect!

Heather Williams
Rooms Division Manager
Aurora, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The transportation pickup from the airport was fast. The bus ride was about 10 minutes. It was a short wait at the front counter but check-in was quick once the ball started rolling. I like the fact that we were offered to have breakfast or receive 500 bonus reward points. Unfortunately, they were only able to offer free breakfast to me and not my companion because she did not have a reward number.

The room was adequate. The shower and tub faucet took some figuring out. The beds were comfortable and had a selection of pillows. The coffee maker was located in the bathroom. This is not the best place to prepare coffee.

Overall, this is a good hotel to stay at when you're between flights. It's clean and offers some basic amenities. The Internet connection could have been better. It was good for checking email but not too much else. The gift shop was open when we arrived at 10pm. It's an ordinary gift shop. I didn't use their business center but it was located just past the front desk. There was also an ATM located in the building but I can't remember from which company.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Overall, the hotel is very good. The location is very convenient. There is an on-site bar/restaurant. The pool and fitness area are quite nice. The staff is friendly. I would stay here again.

The one downside is that some things could use updating in the hotel rooms. The bathroom was particularly concerning. The bath/shower nozzle was extremely loose and moved around easily when you adjusted it, and the shower head was similarly not adequately fastened to the wall. The heater was also a bit old and loud, but it functioned. The flat-screen TV was nice, though.

The on-site restaurant/bar (O'Malley's) is a nice feature. There are tons of TVs around the room (one at each booth as well) showing sports, and the atmosphere is very good. The food was also good (not great, but good), and the servers were friendly. However, the kitchen was slow and the servers weren't around enough (very nice when there, but not visible enough). The kids meals are a great value, but the other food seemed a bit expensive. The convenience of having the pub IN the hotel, though, is great.

The pool area is very nice. They have an Olympic size pool and a small hot-tub. There is also a lifeguard on duty. Those are the pluses. The minuses include that the lifeguards are a bit harsh and strict, and they also asked the kids to leave the pool on several occasions for 10-15 minutes so that chemicals could be added to the pool. Numerous kids in our group ended up with a rash after swimming in the pool as well. I'm not sure if this was a short-term problem or an ongoing issue, but it's something of which to be wary.

The fitness room was very nice. There were multiple treadmills, bikes and elliptical machines as well as some weight machines as well. A big plus (and not common at hotels), they had dumbells up to 50 lb. The one issue that I'd note is that the overhead bulbs are very hot because the ceiling is low. When on the elliptical, you can feel the heat radiating down onto you as you exercise, which is quite uncomfortable. I had to stop after 15 min from the heat. Other than that, it's a top-notch hotel fitness room.

The lobby area is quite nice, and there are lots of places to sit. The staff was very friendly as well. Overall, it's a very good hotel. With a few improvements in the areas which I noted, it could be great, though.

Room Tip: Rooms right by the elevator on the first floor may be noisy as guests come in/out or sit in the lobb...