“A bad situation made worse by this stay!” 2 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #5 of 5 hotels in Dulles
GreenLeadersGold level
Virginia Beach, VA
“A bad situation made worse by this stay!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We had a long/bad day. Our first flight was delayed then we missed our connecting flight and the last flight was cancelled so we were forced to make arrangements for a place to stay for the night and it was very late. I thought Holiday Inn would be a good choice because I always good experiences at other ones. When we got there the staff was very short and unfriendly but, I was so tired I didn't care that much. The room was left dirty from the previous guest and for some reason they didn't completely clean the room. In the bathroom, there was a dirty towel and a used shampoo bottle like somebody just used the shower and on the desk there was writing on a notepad. We asked for a crib on the phone but, when we got there the front staff said they were out but, maybe they just didn't want to get us one. Either way, we didn't get it. Lastly, as we were trying to get ready to go bed (because that was the only thing we really wanted to do). The staff came to the door and said they heard yelling from the room. We arrived very late and I could see where the noise could wake someone up (we have small children) but, there was no yelling. I didn't like the way it was handled because they knew we just checked-in and there are nice ways to say keep the noise down. Sadly, they decided the rude and unfriendly option was better. This was one the worst stays I've ever had at any hotel and with so many hotel options around dulles airport why choose a dirty room and unfriendly staff.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
HolidayInnDulles, Manager at Holiday Inn Washington-Dulles Int'l Airport, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
I’m so sorry to hear about your experience at the Holiday Inn Dulles. We take great pride in our staff, so needless to say, it is very disheartening to hear that you weren’t treated as a valued guest during your stay with us. I can imagine that it was already a frustrating day when your flight was cancelled. Holiday Inn Team members failed to build upon this opportunity to turn everything around for you. I can assure you that this is not typical of our hotel. We always strive to exceed all our guest’s expectations and make sure that they have a comfortable stay with us. I can also assure you that re-training of both our housekeeping and front office staff will be taking place to prevent situations like this from happening again. I hope you give us a chance to make it up to you if you are ever in the DC area again. Please feel free to contact me directly so I can make sure your next stay is perfect!

Heather Williams
Rooms Division Manager

172 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Aurora, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The transportation pickup from the airport was fast. The bus ride was about 10 minutes. It was a short wait at the front counter but check-in was quick once the ball started rolling. I like the fact that we were offered to have breakfast or receive 500 bonus reward points. Unfortunately, they were only able to offer free breakfast to me and not my companion because she did not have a reward number.

The room was adequate. The shower and tub faucet took some figuring out. The beds were comfortable and had a selection of pillows. The coffee maker was located in the bathroom. This is not the best place to prepare coffee.

Overall, this is a good hotel to stay at when you're between flights. It's clean and offers some basic amenities. The Internet connection could have been better. It was good for checking email but not too much else. The gift shop was open when we arrived at 10pm. It's an ordinary gift shop. I didn't use their business center but it was located just past the front desk. There was also an ATM located in the building but I can't remember from which company.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Overall, the hotel is very good. The location is very convenient. There is an on-site bar/restaurant. The pool and fitness area are quite nice. The staff is friendly. I would stay here again.

The one downside is that some things could use updating in the hotel rooms. The bathroom was particularly concerning. The bath/shower nozzle was extremely loose and moved around easily when you adjusted it, and the shower head was similarly not adequately fastened to the wall. The heater was also a bit old and loud, but it functioned. The flat-screen TV was nice, though.

The on-site restaurant/bar (O'Malley's) is a nice feature. There are tons of TVs around the room (one at each booth as well) showing sports, and the atmosphere is very good. The food was also good (not great, but good), and the servers were friendly. However, the kitchen was slow and the servers weren't around enough (very nice when there, but not visible enough). The kids meals are a great value, but the other food seemed a bit expensive. The convenience of having the pub IN the hotel, though, is great.

The pool area is very nice. They have an Olympic size pool and a small hot-tub. There is also a lifeguard on duty. Those are the pluses. The minuses include that the lifeguards are a bit harsh and strict, and they also asked the kids to leave the pool on several occasions for 10-15 minutes so that chemicals could be added to the pool. Numerous kids in our group ended up with a rash after swimming in the pool as well. I'm not sure if this was a short-term problem or an ongoing issue, but it's something of which to be wary.

The fitness room was very nice. There were multiple treadmills, bikes and elliptical machines as well as some weight machines as well. A big plus (and not common at hotels), they had dumbells up to 50 lb. The one issue that I'd note is that the overhead bulbs are very hot because the ceiling is low. When on the elliptical, you can feel the heat radiating down onto you as you exercise, which is quite uncomfortable. I had to stop after 15 min from the heat. Other than that, it's a top-notch hotel fitness room.

The lobby area is quite nice, and there are lots of places to sit. The staff was very friendly as well. Overall, it's a very good hotel. With a few improvements in the areas which I noted, it could be great, though.

Room Tip: Rooms right by the elevator on the first floor may be noisy as guests come in/out or sit in the lobb...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Niagara Falls, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Mary at the Front Desk made our stay a very pleasant one. Upon checking in she informed us that the bar was still open for dinner and we took advantage of their late night dining. She also offered to set a wake up call for us which was nice considering I usually have to call to the front desk after I get to my room to set a wake up call. I had a test in the early morning and she continuously asked me if there was anything she could do to make my stay more enjoyable. I was very impressed by the hotel overall, and by the professionalism and exceptional customer service that I received by Mary. Will be visiting this Hotel again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Middletown, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We have stayed there twice. The pool and hot tub are very nice, although not open early enough on a weekend. The bed was comfortable but a bit too soft. The breakfast is good but the dinner and lunch food quality in the restaurant is average. There is no free continental breakfast.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Unlike other travelers who chose this hotel for its proximity to the airport, I was here for a weekend conference. So I didn't leave the hotel from check-in to check-out.
Thankfully, this property makes a very comfortable weekend sojourn.
Everything works well. It has just two floors so it feels cosy - you aren't far from anything.
The rooms are just right - comfortable beds, easily adjusted heating and cooling, a desk with an adjustable office chair at the right height, bathrooms that appear to be newly refurbished.
The Chantilly restaurant served a hot breakfast buffet, while lunches and dinners were available in O'Malley's Irish pub, which suited me just fine.

My particular event could be thought of as a joke - a bagpipe convention - where you expect to be assaulted by loud music everywhere, but this wasn't the case. Somehow this hotel has the soundproofing right. I could not hear any music at all in my hotel room, and the hallways outside the conference rooms were quiet as well. How did they do this?
Inside the conference rooms I use earplugs, out in the hallways you don't need them.

All in all, I really enjoyed by stay here. It wasn't big and sterile, it wasn't cramped, it wasn't overly modern; it was just right.

If this is what Holiday Inn is serving nowadays, I need to put Holiday Inn on my check list of hotels again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I had the fortune of staying at this property while on a work trip. The frint desk was superb. The room was spotless with oh so comfy beds. The shower/bathroom just as nice. The complimentary airport shuttle was a huge help.

The restaurant/bar was great. I was pleasantly surprised they had a Pizza Hut oven. The pizza was delicious, as were te breadsticks I went back for later for a snack. My friend traveling wth me had the burger and was pleased as well.

From top to bottom everyone I came across at this property was fantastic.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
HolidayInnDulles, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington-Dulles Int'l Airport, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Hello AmbersM0mmy,

Thank you so much for the positive feedback. Our team strives on a daily basis to insure that this is not just a place to sleep but a home away from home. We are so happy that our product and service exceeded your expectations. Please visit us again if your travels bring you to the DC metro area in the future.

Marisol Rodriguez, CHRE
Asst. General Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Washington-Dulles Int'l Airport? Share your experiences!