“This hotel needs to be updated!” 3 of 5 stars

Weekend Savings!
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Dulles
GreenLeadersGold level
Richmond, Virginia
“This hotel needs to be updated!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

This hotel is showing its age. The rooms. Are on the small side and the heating unit in the room makes a terrible racket. The bathrooms are small and the towels thin. I attended a conference and the staff did a good job of handling the crowd. Parking for a large group is a problem as the lot is too small. I would never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2012
HolidayInnDulles, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington-Dulles Int'l Airport, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Hello Mickey O,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us. Your feedback helps us to increase our level of service and address any additional concerns.

We strive for customer excellence and want to ensure the satisfaction of all of our guests. If you are ever back in our area, I hope that you will give us another opportunity and stay with us again.

Zara Ahmed General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Bella Vista, Arkansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Room 1202. Recently renovated, but they didn't go far enough. Have to crawl on the floor to find power outlets (only one on desk). Exteremely noisy air conditioner, "rattles" before compressor comes on or off. WiFi doesn't work - front desk said they would reset, but no such luck. Mattress was lumpy, saggy. Pillows also felt extremely low quality and, unfortunately, that meant that I found myself wide awake and uncomfortable at 3 am. If a hotel isn't comfortable enough to offer a good night's sleep than they have failed at the very reason for their existence.

For what it's worth, I'm a fan of IHG - and platinum in Priority Club.

• Stayed October 2012
HolidayInnDulles, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington-Dulles Int'l Airport, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Hello Mike W,

I would like to start by saying thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience and it was a pleasure to speak with you yesterday, your feedback helps us to increase our level of service and address any additional concerns.

I have already informed our maintenance and housekeeping departments regarding your concerns with your guestroom and we are actively working to find a solution for them. I’m going to address the situation you had with the Internet. We work with a third party for our guest internet so it is important that our team knows what problems we can address on property and which we need the help of our service provider to ensure our guests can properly connect to a quick internet connection.

Zara Ahmed General Manager
Burnley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

When our flight back to the UK with United was cancelled, we stayed at this hotel for one night, until our re-arranged flight the following day.

Our luggage was still at the airport, but the hotel was very accomodating with shaving foam, razor, toothpaste, toothbrushes etc.

Although it was 3.am when we arrived the gentleman on reception was very friendly and welcoming. Our room was very well decorated, with all modern amenities.

Breakfast was excellent, fresh fruit, cakes, muffins, juice, hot dishes, tea, coffee, etc.

All in all a good relaxed stay, just what we needed after the stress at the airport the previous night.

Shuttle buses back to the airport every 30 minuntes, which we found very convenient.

Although our flight was cancelled at the last minute, just after 1.30am, so obviously the hotel did not have much prior notice, we were still accomodated in a professional manner.

We were happy to stay here for our one night stay and would like to say thank you to the hotel staff for coming to the rescue and being so friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Mobile, AL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

This hotel is clean, quiet and priced competitively. Hotel is solidly built, not like many that are constructed overnight and you can hear your neighbors having a quiet conversation.

Beds were very comfortable and had a great nights sleep. The staff was courteous and accomodating as well. Will stay again if Ifly out of Dulles.

Also another nice touch which I didn't use but they have two shuttles running to the Airport.

Room Tip: Hotel has two floors, would stay on the second floor to avoid occupants above you.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Germantown, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is nice and close to the airport and they have a complimentary shuttle. The rooms are clean and comfortable along with flat screen TVs and microwave mini fridge. Nothing spectacular with the beds. The staff are helpful and check in was quick and easy. The restaurant on site was well priced and the food was standard pub fair. Will stay here again as the price was a good deal found on priceline.

• Stayed September 2012
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

It's a long story for me, but in a nutshell... This hotel is poorly staffed and badly managed. The property needs a face lift and some serious air freshener. The unprofessional staff needs an attitude adjustment. I will not come back.

Now here's the long version: Our flight got delayed, so Scandinavian Airlines put my family and me in this hotel along with another 100+ passengers. I'm not sure how frequently this happens, but the hotel was clearly NOT PREPARED for us. (Just a brief background on the situation, the weather was rough in DC, so several flights had to be re-booked throughout the day. My airline in particular knew of this situation around 3 p.m. and had contacted the hotel at that time to let them know we'd be coming that night.)

The complimentary Holiday Inn airport shuttles were scarce, and we waited for more than an hour. They only fit about 15 people max. I don't know why they didn't call for more shuttles given our situation.

Only two people worked the front desk, so the lines were long. Why not bring in more staff? We didn't get checked in until 11 p.m. We asked for a NON-smoking double with two queens, and instead got a smoking room with two fulls. After seeing it, we asked to change. They made it seem as if was a burden to get the non-smoking room we had originally reserved. One was available, but she didn't want to put us on a second floor for some reason. I had to plead with her that we were only going to sleep there for five hours, all the while my mother is coughing up a storm in the lobby.

The restaurant had only three servers. Again, I was shocked they didn't call in more employees for the night. It took more than 30 minutes for the server to take our drink orders. We would have left, but it was the only place open. We didn't get our food until about 12:45 a.m. On top of all that, the waitress was complaining to us that SHE was stressed out. (Listen, I was just on a 10 hour transatlantic flight, was sent to the Baltimore airport because of the bad weather, missed my connecting flight, had to take a 1.5 hour shuttle bus to Dulles, then waited an hour and a half for another shuttle to take me to the hotel. The last thing I want is to hear about the server's problems. I just want my iced tea.)

I'm rating it two stars instead of one because it could have honestly just been a bad night for them. At the same time, I think the property suffers from poor management.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
HolidayInnDulles, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington-Dulles Int'l Airport, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Hello imanahan,

First, please let us start by apologizing for the stress and inconvenience you experienced while traveling. Traveling across the world is never easy and when it gets complicated by delays it can be even worse. I deeply regret that you didn’t find comfort and peace of mind at our hotel.

Having said that, I want to assure you that the experience that you had at our hotel is not typical of the Holiday Inn Dulles. Unfortunately, when there are these types of unforeseen weather delays the airlines do not always notify the accommodating hotels with very much lead time, so needless to say we were not as prepared for the influx of distressed passengers as we would have like to have been.

In addition, as a result of the weather, there were many other flights that were canceled at the last minute, as well; your flight was not the only one we tried accommodate that night.

Regarding the shuttle situation, we actually had a total of 3 shuttles running continuously to the airport throughout the evening. In fact, we had to take one of our three front desk agents away from the desk to use an additional shuttle driver. That is why you only saw the two behind the desk. However, after the shuttle runs were over the shuttle drivers also helped check in guests. It was truly an ‘all-hands-on-deck’ effort.

I deeply apologize about the confusion surrounding your room request; however due to the last minute arrival of distressed passengers it is impossible for us to guarantee room types. After all, there are no reservations. Regarding the bed situation, there must have been some confusion, because we do not have any rooms on property that have two queens; we only have rooms with 2 doubles and one king. And with respect to your smoking room, none of the rooms with two beds are smoking rooms; all 6 of our smoking rooms are kings.

Regardless, again, I deeply apologize and hope you do not think that your experience is indicative our normal service. We understand that this must have been very frustrating especially in the middle of a long trip but we hope that you will give us a second chance when we are running normal service. We want to show you how much pride we take in providing an excellent experience for all our guests.

Zarar Ahmed
General Manager Holiday Inn Dulles
Hinesville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

The lobby was very fresh and updated but as you proceed to your room you can see the wear and tear of the building. The smell of cigarette smoke was everywhere but much worse by the exit doors. Noticed lots of trays by doors that were not picked up till the next day. I have to give room service credit for a wonderful meal and great quick service. Towels were thin and worn, but beds were comfortable. AC was loud and hard to control. Friendly staff but time for some updates.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Washington-Dulles Int'l Airport, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Dear kjaussies,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. I was pleased to read that you found the lobby very fresh, the staff friendly and you enjoyed room service. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused you and for falling short of your expectations. We do value the comments we receive from our guests as these help us improve the quality and service that we offer.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Washington-Dulles Int'l Airport? Share your experiences!