“Good stay” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Germantown, Tennessee
“Good stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is nice and close to the airport and they have a complimentary shuttle. The rooms are clean and comfortable along with flat screen TVs and microwave mini fridge. Nothing spectacular with the beds. The staff are helpful and check in was quick and easy. The restaurant on site was well priced and the food was standard pub fair. Will stay here again as the price was a good deal found on priceline.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

It's a long story for me, but in a nutshell... This hotel is poorly staffed and badly managed. The property needs a face lift and some serious air freshener. The unprofessional staff needs an attitude adjustment. I will not come back.

Now here's the long version: Our flight got delayed, so Scandinavian Airlines put my family and me in this hotel along with another 100+ passengers. I'm not sure how frequently this happens, but the hotel was clearly NOT PREPARED for us. (Just a brief background on the situation, the weather was rough in DC, so several flights had to be re-booked throughout the day. My airline in particular knew of this situation around 3 p.m. and had contacted the hotel at that time to let them know we'd be coming that night.)

The complimentary Holiday Inn airport shuttles were scarce, and we waited for more than an hour. They only fit about 15 people max. I don't know why they didn't call for more shuttles given our situation.

Only two people worked the front desk, so the lines were long. Why not bring in more staff? We didn't get checked in until 11 p.m. We asked for a NON-smoking double with two queens, and instead got a smoking room with two fulls. After seeing it, we asked to change. They made it seem as if was a burden to get the non-smoking room we had originally reserved. One was available, but she didn't want to put us on a second floor for some reason. I had to plead with her that we were only going to sleep there for five hours, all the while my mother is coughing up a storm in the lobby.

The restaurant had only three servers. Again, I was shocked they didn't call in more employees for the night. It took more than 30 minutes for the server to take our drink orders. We would have left, but it was the only place open. We didn't get our food until about 12:45 a.m. On top of all that, the waitress was complaining to us that SHE was stressed out. (Listen, I was just on a 10 hour transatlantic flight, was sent to the Baltimore airport because of the bad weather, missed my connecting flight, had to take a 1.5 hour shuttle bus to Dulles, then waited an hour and a half for another shuttle to take me to the hotel. The last thing I want is to hear about the server's problems. I just want my iced tea.)

I'm rating it two stars instead of one because it could have honestly just been a bad night for them. At the same time, I think the property suffers from poor management.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
HolidayInnDulles, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington-Dulles Int'l Airport, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Hello imanahan,

First, please let us start by apologizing for the stress and inconvenience you experienced while traveling. Traveling across the world is never easy and when it gets complicated by delays it can be even worse. I deeply regret that you didn’t find comfort and peace of mind at our hotel.

Having said that, I want to assure you that the experience that you had at our hotel is not typical of the Holiday Inn Dulles. Unfortunately, when there are these types of unforeseen weather delays the airlines do not always notify the accommodating hotels with very much lead time, so needless to say we were not as prepared for the influx of distressed passengers as we would have like to have been.

In addition, as a result of the weather, there were many other flights that were canceled at the last minute, as well; your flight was not the only one we tried accommodate that night.

Regarding the shuttle situation, we actually had a total of 3 shuttles running continuously to the airport throughout the evening. In fact, we had to take one of our three front desk agents away from the desk to use an additional shuttle driver. That is why you only saw the two behind the desk. However, after the shuttle runs were over the shuttle drivers also helped check in guests. It was truly an ‘all-hands-on-deck’ effort.

I deeply apologize about the confusion surrounding your room request; however due to the last minute arrival of distressed passengers it is impossible for us to guarantee room types. After all, there are no reservations. Regarding the bed situation, there must have been some confusion, because we do not have any rooms on property that have two queens; we only have rooms with 2 doubles and one king. And with respect to your smoking room, none of the rooms with two beds are smoking rooms; all 6 of our smoking rooms are kings.

Regardless, again, I deeply apologize and hope you do not think that your experience is indicative our normal service. We understand that this must have been very frustrating especially in the middle of a long trip but we hope that you will give us a second chance when we are running normal service. We want to show you how much pride we take in providing an excellent experience for all our guests.

Zarar Ahmed
General Manager Holiday Inn Dulles
Hinesville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

The lobby was very fresh and updated but as you proceed to your room you can see the wear and tear of the building. The smell of cigarette smoke was everywhere but much worse by the exit doors. Noticed lots of trays by doors that were not picked up till the next day. I have to give room service credit for a wonderful meal and great quick service. Towels were thin and worn, but beds were comfortable. AC was loud and hard to control. Friendly staff but time for some updates.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Washington-Dulles Int'l Airport, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Dear kjaussies,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. I was pleased to read that you found the lobby very fresh, the staff friendly and you enjoyed room service. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused you and for falling short of your expectations. We do value the comments we receive from our guests as these help us improve the quality and service that we offer.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
West Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We had to make last-minute reservations after getting re-routed to Dulles airport. Service at the restaurant was tasty: we had Guinness beef stew in a boule and fish & chips. The service throughout the meal and our stay was good and very friendly. Shuttle to/from airport a must for us, and the 4 A.M. shuttle got us their in time for that 6 A.M. flight (ugh!). We didn'tt use any amenities, just dinner and a short nap before our next flight.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights in conjunction with a reservation I made through Priceline, which yielded a room rate about half of what I would pay as a USG traveler on per diem. It's located about 2 miles NE of the main exit for the airport. It's on a cul de sac with a couple of other hotels and a gas station; nothing scenic. The lobby, as others have written, is spacious and well-stocked with comfy chairs and a conspicuous large monitor. The staff greeted me promptly and were courteous and efficient throughout. I noticed that at least a quarter of the guests must be airline crew.

I found the room to be perfectly adequate, with newish bed linens and a comfy mattress. The room didn't have a fridge or microwave, but the housekeeping staff sent them over with no hesitation when I asked. I found that he room was clean and well-lit and very quiet, even though I was just 4 rooms away from the lobby. I appreciated the large and always-available luggage carts, as well as a serviceable business center, where I coul print paperwork for free.

There is free wifi in the rooms, but many times the signal was so weak that I couldn't use my iPad. The buffet breakfast isn't included in Priceline bookings, but my quick survey revealed it was a standard 3-star-esque buffet spread.

This property isn't super fancy, but just felt like a place you could happily stay in conjunction with travel through Dulles

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

This hotel was great. We stayed here for 1 week while working on our rental property in Sterling. Kids eat free, Great savings, Great wine selections in the Irish Pub on Site and great breakfast area with full buffet and cook to order. Service was a little slow
Hotel has ATM and gift shop on site and free parking. Very close to Dulles Airport and Dulles Town Centre Mall.

Has a pool and spa pool which our kids used and a small game room. Has a small gym which we did not use but looked good.
Overall a nice hotel

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

Lobby: Lobby is beautifully decorated. Lobby also has a flat screen that shows you all the airport flight departures. VERY HANDY. I would still check the screens at the airport again b/c our terminals changed when we got there.

Rooms: The rooms does need be refreshed, seemed outdated and old. A/C Unit is old and very loud and was hard to sleep.

Front Desk staff was extremely friendly and checked me in and out quickly. No hassle.

Airport shuttle: our driver was a female, Hispanic driver. She was unprofessional. Did not say hello just started the shuttle, walk to the back of the vehicle and started to load our luggage. Then she proceeds to say ...anyone that has their luggage stored in the back gets to go to the airport first. All guests stood quiet. I feel it was the way she said it that turned a lot of people off. If she would have said "I'm sorry sir, but it's procedure that all luggage is stored in the back for your safety." I think people would respond to her. I'm in the hospitality industry as well and it's all about how you gracefully speak to your customers. She will require some training.

Service was great with the exception of the driver. The hotel just needs to update their rooms.

Room Tip: B/c I'm a female traveler, traveling alone, request a non-connecting room, closer to the lobby...