It's a long story for me, but in a nutshell... This hotel is poorly staffed and badly managed. The property needs a face lift and some serious air freshener. The unprofessional staff needs an attitude adjustment. I will not come back.
Now here's the long version: Our flight got delayed, so Scandinavian Airlines put my family and me in this hotel along with another 100+ passengers. I'm not sure how frequently this happens, but the hotel was clearly NOT PREPARED for us. (Just a brief background on the situation, the weather was rough in DC, so several flights had to be re-booked throughout the day. My airline in particular knew of this situation around 3 p.m. and had contacted the hotel at that time to let them know we'd be coming that night.)
The complimentary Holiday Inn airport shuttles were scarce, and we waited for more than an hour. They only fit about 15 people max. I don't know why they didn't call for more shuttles given our situation.
Only two people worked the front desk, so the lines were long. Why not bring in more staff? We didn't get checked in until 11 p.m. We asked for a NON-smoking double with two queens, and instead got a smoking room with two fulls. After seeing it, we asked to change. They made it seem as if was a burden to get the non-smoking room we had originally reserved. One was available, but she didn't want to put us on a second floor for some reason. I had to plead with her that we were only going to sleep there for five hours, all the while my mother is coughing up a storm in the lobby.
The restaurant had only three servers. Again, I was shocked they didn't call in more employees for the night. It took more than 30 minutes for the server to take our drink orders. We would have left, but it was the only place open. We didn't get our food until about 12:45 a.m. On top of all that, the waitress was complaining to us that SHE was stressed out. (Listen, I was just on a 10 hour transatlantic flight, was sent to the Baltimore airport because of the bad weather, missed my connecting flight, had to take a 1.5 hour shuttle bus to Dulles, then waited an hour and a half for another shuttle to take me to the hotel. The last thing I want is to hear about the server's problems. I just want my iced tea.)
I'm rating it two stars instead of one because it could have honestly just been a bad night for them. At the same time, I think the property suffers from poor management.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Washington-Dulles Int`l Airport Hotel Dulles
- Holiday Inn Washington-Dulles Int`l Airport Hotel
- Holiday Inn Dulles
- Dulles Holiday Inn
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- One of Washington’s best hotels, the Holiday Inn Washington Dulles International Airport provides lodging accommodations in Northern Virginia near Washington Dulles International Airport and 25 miles from Washington D.C. Holiday Inn Dulles Airport is convenient to Dulles 28 Centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, IHG, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Venere and HotelsClick so you can book your Holiday Inn Washington-Dulles Int'l Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.