“Fine hotel for Dulles travelers” 4 of 5 stars

Weekend Savings!
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Dulles
GreenLeadersGold level
Montreal
“Fine hotel for Dulles travelers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights in conjunction with a reservation I made through Priceline, which yielded a room rate about half of what I would pay as a USG traveler on per diem. It's located about 2 miles NE of the main exit for the airport. It's on a cul de sac with a couple of other hotels and a gas station; nothing scenic. The lobby, as others have written, is spacious and well-stocked with comfy chairs and a conspicuous large monitor. The staff greeted me promptly and were courteous and efficient throughout. I noticed that at least a quarter of the guests must be airline crew.

I found the room to be perfectly adequate, with newish bed linens and a comfy mattress. The room didn't have a fridge or microwave, but the housekeeping staff sent them over with no hesitation when I asked. I found that he room was clean and well-lit and very quiet, even though I was just 4 rooms away from the lobby. I appreciated the large and always-available luggage carts, as well as a serviceable business center, where I coul print paperwork for free.

There is free wifi in the rooms, but many times the signal was so weak that I couldn't use my iPad. The buffet breakfast isn't included in Priceline bookings, but my quick survey revealed it was a standard 3-star-esque buffet spread.

This property isn't super fancy, but just felt like a place you could happily stay in conjunction with travel through Dulles

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

This hotel was great. We stayed here for 1 week while working on our rental property in Sterling. Kids eat free, Great savings, Great wine selections in the Irish Pub on Site and great breakfast area with full buffet and cook to order. Service was a little slow
Hotel has ATM and gift shop on site and free parking. Very close to Dulles Airport and Dulles Town Centre Mall.

Has a pool and spa pool which our kids used and a small game room. Has a small gym which we did not use but looked good.
Overall a nice hotel

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

Lobby: Lobby is beautifully decorated. Lobby also has a flat screen that shows you all the airport flight departures. VERY HANDY. I would still check the screens at the airport again b/c our terminals changed when we got there.

Rooms: The rooms does need be refreshed, seemed outdated and old. A/C Unit is old and very loud and was hard to sleep.

Front Desk staff was extremely friendly and checked me in and out quickly. No hassle.

Airport shuttle: our driver was a female, Hispanic driver. She was unprofessional. Did not say hello just started the shuttle, walk to the back of the vehicle and started to load our luggage. Then she proceeds to say ...anyone that has their luggage stored in the back gets to go to the airport first. All guests stood quiet. I feel it was the way she said it that turned a lot of people off. If she would have said "I'm sorry sir, but it's procedure that all luggage is stored in the back for your safety." I think people would respond to her. I'm in the hospitality industry as well and it's all about how you gracefully speak to your customers. She will require some training.

Service was great with the exception of the driver. The hotel just needs to update their rooms.

Room Tip: B/c I'm a female traveler, traveling alone, request a non-connecting room, closer to the lobby...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

Just stayed here on business. The location is convenient to Dulles and Sterling area businesses. The hotel at first glance appears to be updated but really it was only cosmetically refreshed. A/C was old. The tub drained slowly. The matress was too soft and uncomfortable. The bed was obviously sagging. I can't say it was clean, like most hotels they do a decent job of making the room look clean, but that is different from actually clean. Upon check-in the room was obviously not vacuumed. The carpet and bathroom floor was sticky. Yuck! Good thing I always bring flip flops. There are plenty of other options in the area, so if I have to return, this will not be my first or second choice. Breakfast is available but for the selection, the price is too high. I only had it because the government rate includes breakfast. If I had to pay, I would have skipped it.

• Stayed July 2012
WashDCHotels, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington-Dulles Int'l Airport, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Dear passing_thru_4,

Thank you for your comments; we truly value the feedback from our guests as it helps us to improve our product and services.

I would like to start by assuring you that your experience is neither typical nor is it acceptable at our hotel. We will review the items mentioned and see what changes can be made to ensure our guests have an exceptional experience. We are specifically addressing the issues you mentioned in your room with our housekeeping staff and engineering team to make sure that everything is not only working properly but in tip top shape.

We are also reviewing our breakfast selection with the executive chef and the director of food and beverage to ensure our guests are receiving the highest quality and best value for their money. After all breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

If your travels ever bring you back to the Dulles area, we hope that you will give us another opportunity to make it right.

Zarar Ahmed
General Manager Holiday Inn Dulles Airport
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Older hotel, but fairly well maintained. Acceptable for an overnight flight in/out of IAD. No restaurants within walking distance; your walking options are the hotel's restaurant/pub or the mini-mart at the gas station across the street (which closes at 9:00PM). Hotel offers a continental buffet for $7.00 or a full buffet for $11.00.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Cape Town, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed here for 1 night as we missed a connection to South africa due to United delaying our flight from Orlando for 4 hours.
Close to Dulles airport and free shuttle to and from the airport.Pub available till 12 at night with usual Pub food

• Stayed June 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Had an opportunity to spend the night here recently. Must say, that for a Holiday Inn, it has certainly revamped itself. The bed was so comfortable - the sheets were noteworthy in terms of luxuriously soft and cool. The pillows were even tagged for soft or firm.. nice touch. The decor was definitely updated - not the same Holiday Inn I used to stay at with my parents. The bathroom was updated - marble, nice smelling toiletries, large shower and shower head... Overall, I must say it was a very pleasant experience. I would definitely stay there again. p.s. their restaurant/bar (O'Malley's) was also good - food good, portion size good, and service (per Joanie, the bartendress... great!!)...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Washington-Dulles Int'l Airport? Share your experiences!