“Don't bother with "Concierge" room” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Comfortable Day Rooms
Ranked #4 of 5 hotels in Dulles
British Virgin Islands
“Don't bother with "Concierge" room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2010

We stayed here the night before a 6 am flight. We booked a concierge room as we probably wouldn't be having a big dinner and usually the concierge room has "heavy" hors d'oeuvres. At first we given a room that was in another wing of the hotel and to get to the concierge room (very small for the size of the hotel) we had to take the elevator down, walk across the main floor, past the restaurant, lobby and front desk then take another elevator to the 2nd floor, a good 8 minute walk. We asked to be moved closer as I was recovering from surgery - this was done but with a bit of an attitude.
With a concierge room you are supposed to get bathrobes (there was only one) and better amenities - however we got the same ones we had in a Courtyard a few weeks before. We had the feeling that the "concierge" rooms are the same as regular ones and they just give you access to the lounge - not worth the difference in price unless you need the room for a meeting.
There is free WiFi in the lobby but you have to pay for it in the rooms.
Even though we have stayed at many Marriott Hotels this is the first time I have had such bad bed linens. The bed itself was fine, but the sheets on the bed were so small that they didn't even tuck in. We had to move to the other double bed in the middle of the night as the sheets had pulled completely out of the top and bottom of the bed. The 2nd bed was the same, but at least we had a couple of hours before those eventually pulled out.
We would not stay here again as it was much more expensive than other hotels just outside of the airport and the advantage of the location is not worth the price. We also were not made to feel very welcome, this is definitely a hotel that acts more like a revolving door than a place of hospitality.

343 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Turkish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2010

We stayed here overnight after arriving from the UK, as we didn't want to pick the hire car up until the morning, and it suited our needs perfectly.
The free shuttle bus from the terminal runs every 10-15 minutes and it is only a short journey to the hotel. The hotel is large with nearly 400 rooms, it seems bigger because it is only 3 storeys high, so covers a lot of area.
We got a nice corner room on the third floor - very well appointed and very clean. It was quite a trek to the concierge lounge, but once there the lounge was very nice - it served a nice pasta meal in the evening and a very nice breakfast in the morning.
We got a good nights sleep in the great Marriott bed, and weren't bothered by aircraft noise at all.
If I have any niggles, they are that the indoor pool was COLD! and that there isn't much else around the hotel - the latter is completely unsurprising, given its proximity to the airport. I understand that they do offer a comp shuttle to nearby shopping facilities, but we were only the the one night, so didn't take them up on it.

dayton,nv
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

We spent 2 weeks driving the east coast. Rented a car from Dulles airport and returned it to Enterprise the night before flying home. Got a shuttle that took us right to the hotel. And a shuttle from the hotel took us right to the airport-it was very easy and relaxing after a lot of driving. Everyone at the hotel was very helpful and friendly. Wonderful restful place to stay. Nice little lagoon to relax by. Only problem,some very noisy people in the halls late at night.

Etna, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

I booked this hotel because it offered a shuttle from Dulles Airport and the price was very reasonable. ($99/night for 3 people with breakfast in the restaurant included). Our stay was very good. The rooms were clean. The staff were all very helpful and courteous. The pool was a big hit with my 11 and 22 year olds.--The only complaint I have is the location. The hotel is not within walking distance to anything. We were on a trip to visit our son who is in the Army stationed at Ft. Meyer (40 mins away). The nearest shopping or food or ANY attraction is at least 10 miles away. DC is a 45 minute ride on the freeway. He had a car so we were able to do things but it would be very difficult and expensive to have to take a cab literally EVERYWHERE except the airport. So it would be beneficial to add the cost of a rental car to your budget if you plan to stay in the area more than overnight.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

I was thoroughly disappointed with this hotel.

It was a 10 or 15 minute walk to my room, the cielings were extremely low, the only plus was that was it cheaper than the other hotels....

I would stay away

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

We had about 12 hours to unpack luggage from a three-week stint at a summer college program, do laundry, repack, get dinner, get some sleep, and get my kid on a plane to another college program, and all this after driving 8 hours (the last 1.5 on 270 and the Belway--yuck). Among many different hotels close to Dulles Airport, I had chosen the Dulles Airport Marriott because we had stayed there last Thanksgiving in the course of picking up friends from the airport, and it had an easy and peaceful air. We booked two rooms this time. Summertime can be not so easy and peaceful as Thanksgivng at this hotel, I discovered. Lots of families with kids on a Saturday afternoon and so many people sitting near the front desk complaining into their cell phones that it felt like a combination of day camp and disaster headquarters . Getting our voluminous luggage in from car to room was a bit chaotic (the desk clerk did it for us when he got back from delivering someone else's--there did not seem to be a bell captain or staff). I was impressed to see the shuttle bus driver jump out to help him (in order to expedite the moving of my car from the roundabout I imagine) as the luggage cart became overloaded. Our rooms were quite a shlep from the front desk, it turned out, and after all the luggage was in our rooms, I had to go back and stand in line again and ask a clerk if there was perhaps a place to park the car by an exit nearer our rooms so that we would not have to make the long trek back to the car with all our luggage the next morning. There was, but I wish someone had given me the pertinent information during my first go-round at the front desk. I returned to my room, read the hotel guide, found no mention of the coin laundry the existence of which I had relied on when I booked the rooms, and called the front desk to ask where it was. The clerk told me (the other side of the hotel from my room) but somehow failed to mention that the washer was broken. This I found out only after I had carried the laundry across the hotel to the appointed location. So again I stood on line at the front desk. The clerk said he knew the washer was broken and offered to make a call to the engineer to see what time it might be fixed. (This was the same person who had carried my luggage to my room--he was wearing a lot of hats and with lots of grace). But when he then turned and asked the other desk clerk if the engineer in fact had been notified about the washer at all, I started to imagine myself on the Dulles toll road at midnight looking for a local laundromat, so I asked him if the hotel laundry could, as an exception, wash a load of laundry so that we could pack and,long story short, he ARRANGED FOR IT and saved the evening for us. So, on the basis of his action and the bus driver's cooperative spirit, I give staff top marks. Also top marks should go to the computer/printer set-up located just off the front lobby to allow for the printing of boarding passes. It would be great if the front desk could provide guests with maps not just of the hotel parking lot set-up but also the route to and, more important, BACK FROM the airport.
The rooms were fine, clean, no fridge (I probably could have asked for one), an okay bathroom, nice beds, and a serviceable coffee maker. Warmest water I could get in shower was tepid. Free wi-fi is available in the lobby and restaurant only. After my early morning airport drop-off, I was able to return to the hotel before check-out and get an hour's swim in the very nice peaceful indoor pool (there is also an outdoor pool) and de-stress before returning home (for more laundry and unpacking)!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Wilmington, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

We stayed here the night before our early flight to Cancun, with our children, and it was great! Very close to the airport and the shuttle service was great! I did my research online prior to booking & the one thing that definitely sold us was their good reviews for their shuttle service. We really didn't want to worry about waiting around w/2 young children, and we only had to wait about 10-15 minutes. We did eat dinner there, which wasn't too over priced, the food was good and the service was good as well. Would definitely stay there again if catching a flight out of Dulles Airport.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Been to Washington Dulles Airport Marriott? Share your experiences!