“They do try very hard and do some things well” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Dulles
Washington
“They do try very hard and do some things well”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

We had about 12 hours to unpack luggage from a three-week stint at a summer college program, do laundry, repack, get dinner, get some sleep, and get my kid on a plane to another college program, and all this after driving 8 hours (the last 1.5 on 270 and the Belway--yuck). Among many different hotels close to Dulles Airport, I had chosen the Dulles Airport Marriott because we had stayed there last Thanksgiving in the course of picking up friends from the airport, and it had an easy and peaceful air. We booked two rooms this time. Summertime can be not so easy and peaceful as Thanksgivng at this hotel, I discovered. Lots of families with kids on a Saturday afternoon and so many people sitting near the front desk complaining into their cell phones that it felt like a combination of day camp and disaster headquarters . Getting our voluminous luggage in from car to room was a bit chaotic (the desk clerk did it for us when he got back from delivering someone else's--there did not seem to be a bell captain or staff). I was impressed to see the shuttle bus driver jump out to help him (in order to expedite the moving of my car from the roundabout I imagine) as the luggage cart became overloaded. Our rooms were quite a shlep from the front desk, it turned out, and after all the luggage was in our rooms, I had to go back and stand in line again and ask a clerk if there was perhaps a place to park the car by an exit nearer our rooms so that we would not have to make the long trek back to the car with all our luggage the next morning. There was, but I wish someone had given me the pertinent information during my first go-round at the front desk. I returned to my room, read the hotel guide, found no mention of the coin laundry the existence of which I had relied on when I booked the rooms, and called the front desk to ask where it was. The clerk told me (the other side of the hotel from my room) but somehow failed to mention that the washer was broken. This I found out only after I had carried the laundry across the hotel to the appointed location. So again I stood on line at the front desk. The clerk said he knew the washer was broken and offered to make a call to the engineer to see what time it might be fixed. (This was the same person who had carried my luggage to my room--he was wearing a lot of hats and with lots of grace). But when he then turned and asked the other desk clerk if the engineer in fact had been notified about the washer at all, I started to imagine myself on the Dulles toll road at midnight looking for a local laundromat, so I asked him if the hotel laundry could, as an exception, wash a load of laundry so that we could pack and,long story short, he ARRANGED FOR IT and saved the evening for us. So, on the basis of his action and the bus driver's cooperative spirit, I give staff top marks. Also top marks should go to the computer/printer set-up located just off the front lobby to allow for the printing of boarding passes. It would be great if the front desk could provide guests with maps not just of the hotel parking lot set-up but also the route to and, more important, BACK FROM the airport.
The rooms were fine, clean, no fridge (I probably could have asked for one), an okay bathroom, nice beds, and a serviceable coffee maker. Warmest water I could get in shower was tepid. Free wi-fi is available in the lobby and restaurant only. After my early morning airport drop-off, I was able to return to the hotel before check-out and get an hour's swim in the very nice peaceful indoor pool (there is also an outdoor pool) and de-stress before returning home (for more laundry and unpacking)!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Turkish first
Wilmington, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

We stayed here the night before our early flight to Cancun, with our children, and it was great! Very close to the airport and the shuttle service was great! I did my research online prior to booking & the one thing that definitely sold us was their good reviews for their shuttle service. We really didn't want to worry about waiting around w/2 young children, and we only had to wait about 10-15 minutes. We did eat dinner there, which wasn't too over priced, the food was good and the service was good as well. Would definitely stay there again if catching a flight out of Dulles Airport.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Acton, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

Beautiful room, helpful staff, great price. For that same price in downtown DC, you'd pay a lot more. Better to stay by the airport. The restaurant is not great, but you can be assured a good night's sleep here.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Surrey, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

Hotel was close to IAD, with a shuttle that ran every 15 minutes. Check in was fast, rooms were clean, although a little small. Restaurant and bar area open late, however found them both expensive, but such is life when its the only game in town around the airport.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2010

Flight cancellation meant finding a quick, close and clean room. Marriott Dulles fills the bill. Check-in was efficient, bar open late (with good food choices) and room (while a bit small and cramped) was spotless and very quiet. Good for an overnight!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2010

Good location, but for a quick overnighter on business, I didn't think this was particularly good value. Airport shuttle has efficient and all other features of a typical Marriott hotel were well presented. No wireless internet in the rooms!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

Anticipating a winter storm that would ground us and cancel our flight, my wife and I stayed at the Dulles Marriott for two nights in December, 09. We were both pleasantly surprised and pleased by the experience.

We selected the Marriott because we knew that the hotel was basically on the property of Dulles Airport. The hotel itself was not inspiring. It is a late 1950s/60s modern building. It is very large and is built around a courtyard. Indeed, when she first saw the Hotel, my wife thought I was crazy to want to camp out there during a snow storm to await the airport reopening.

However, on seeing our room, we both were quite pleased. Clearly, the rooms and the bathrooms have been updated sometime in the last few years. They were clean, well appointed and comfortable. The bed was very comfortable.

In addition, we ordered room service which was good (though nothing special) as well as having two meals in the hotel restaurant. The hotel was packed because of the storm and our meals were under “snow” conditions so the menu was limited, but they were both good. It was great to hangout in the bar with stranded travelers from around the world.

We used the gym facilities which were good.

If I’ve one complaint, it was that they didn’t have WiFi in our room and we had to go to the bar to get free WiFi for our computer.

On the other hand, the staff was great. Many of the staff members we dealt with were doing double and triple shifts because they couldn’t get home and their replacements couldn’t get into work. However, everyone was pleasant, courteous and helpful. There was a nice air of camaraderie.

We took advantage of the stay and park to leave our car at the hotel for the duration of our trip. The vans to the terminal ran constantly even during the storm. Parking was good and our car was easy to get to (and had thawed-out by the time we got back). In addition, the cost was better than the cost of round-trip cab fare into D.C.

In the end, we had a little mini-vacation at the hotel waiting for the storm to blow through. We were happy that we went to this Marriott.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dulles
The Westin Washington Dulles Airport
Hyatt Dulles at Dulles International Airport
Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon
Fairfield Inn & Suites Dulles Airport
Holiday Inn Washington-Dulles Int'l Airport
Courtyard by Marriott Dulles Town Center

Been to Washington Dulles Airport Marriott? Share your experiences!