“Good Hotel, Restaurant Not So Good” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Comfortable Day Rooms
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Dulles
A TripAdvisor Member
“Good Hotel, Restaurant Not So Good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2005

Let me start off by saying that I'm a corporate pilot, and I stay the night on the road 100+ nights a year, so I don't give one-time, biased views of hotels. I stay in a lot of them, all chains, and I understand the importance of staying in good places when you travel.

I stayed at this particular Mariott for three days recently. Overall it was a good hotel, but there were a few issues I'd like to list.

First off location. There is nothing around the hotel to do or eat. The only option you have is to eat at one of the two restaurant's inside the hotel. These left a lot to be desired!

When I say two restaurant's, don't let that fool you. They're actually one and the same, even including the same menu, they're just located in two different places. Very poor selection, and even poorer food quality. I tried their breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and the only thing I found that was even decent was the Spinach/Artichoke Dip, and the Bacon Cheeseburger. The food defintely wasn't worth the price. I paid $12 for Fish and Chips, and I got two pieces of meat that would hardly qualify as fish, and a smal handful of fries. The guy I was travelling with got the Chicken Tenders, and he had the same experience. Personally I think the meat was one in the same!

The restaurant service was absolutely horrible. I didn't go down and visit once where I didn't wait any less then 15 minutes for a waiter to come over to my table to introduce himself and take our drink order, you wait atleast 20-30 minutes for your food, then once your done, you can wait up to 20-30 minutes for them to come over and take your plates and give you the bill. And needless to say, you're getting great service if the waiter comes over once while your eating to refill your drinks or ask if you need anything. It gets very frustrating after awhile. And what's even more frustrating is that it's your only option of places to eat. There's no where else around the hotel to go. I couldn't even find a vending machine in the hotel to eat out of instead. Just pop and ice machines everywhere.

Now to be fair, the hotel rooms were nice, and very comfortable. One thing I love about the Mariott chains is the comfortable down comforters and pillows. Always get a great nights sleep when I stay there. The rooms were overall clean, and the house keepers were always very friendly and accomodating. The rooms were by far my favorite part of this stay.

Mariott is typically a great chain and I try to stay at them every chance I get, however this one is a far exception of your typical Mariott hotel, and I would highly discourage anyone from staying at this particular hotel!

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2005

I stayed here 7/29, the night before I had a 6am flight. The parking was $30 for a week, MUCH cheaper than the Dulles facilities. The only catch is that you stay here one night. Not an issue! The room service was adequate, the rooms are a bit small, but this isn't a place you come for luxury, but for convenience. The airport shuttle runs every 15 minutes starting at 5am, and runs every 10 minutes up until midnight (after that, call and they will come and get you). The shuttle drivers are SO nice and helpful! There is even a TV monitor in the lobby by the phones that show flight departures over at the airport! Great little sundry shop off of the lobby as well. I plan on using this hotel from now on when I have an early morning flight!

• Stayed July 2005
virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2005

Recently stayed just one night at the Dulles Marriott. The room was above average, though the carpeting by the door was worn so bad the color had completely faded away from it. The hotel is rather spread out, so if you know you have a lot of luggage, you might want to request a room close to the lobby. My room was actually as far as one could be from the lobby and it was a bit of a pain to schlep my bags with. The best reason to stay here is their unadvertised airport parking charge - $30 for 7 days, $ 40 for up to two weeks. I really didn't do anything else beyond sleep there, so I can't pass judgement on other aspects of the hotel.

• Stayed July 2005
Florence, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2004

I stayed here end of June as my husband had a company weekend meeting. Location right next to airport but in resort type setting. Free shuttle every 15mins (I think) to Dulles. Staff concerned about you and are hard workers, all of them. Outdoor very clean large pool adjacent indoor pool by exercise room. Wish we could have stayed a little longer. He went to his meetings and was very satisfied with the food and service and setups. They have free van service daily to Chantilly Va. Hazy Air Space museum where there is IMAX and Air France Concord, Enterprise, all kinds of airplanes, 3D space simulator etc. Very nice. And alternating days to either Reston or Dulles Shopping area. But the best thing were the beds, down pillows and comforters and nice linens for a bed made properly. We slept really well. I was glad to see airline stewards and pilots staying there too. Food was good in restaurant and they knew I was alone as I couldn't attend the events of my husbands company. And they were all so kind.. We had a small room but I am sure there were larger rooms but it did not matter as the king bed was so comfortable. Very clean. The van driver told me they spent a lot of money buying all new pillows and comforters. Nice stopover before or after DC next to airport and for sure a great place for an international company to host a meeting for associates coming in from direct locations.

• Stayed June 2004, traveled on business

Been to Washington Dulles Airport Marriott? Share your experiences!