“A Marriott Failure” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Dulles
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A Marriott Failure”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We are Marriott Silver Elite members. I've never reviewed a Marriott hotel before, since we always had a good experience. Except this time. We stayed there on the evening of July 7, 2014. We had landed at Dulles Airport after a 14 hour flight and just wanted a place to shower and sleep until our flight out the next morning. When we got to the room and tried to take a shower, there was no hot water. We were exhausted, had a quick meal, and went to sleep. The next morning we had to get up early for an 8AM flight. And once again there was not hot water. Both times we had let the water run for 30 minutes! When we checked out, I complained to the desk clerk about the situation, and he asked for my cell phone number. He said that the manager would call me as soon as he came in. The Manager NEVER called. (By the way, I had not bothered to complain about the room, and the numerous gross stains on the furniture.)
There is sign outside the hotel, apologizing for the work going on to refresh the outside of the note. It's too bad they don't spend that money on the inside of the place. It is tired, worn and dinghy; plus, its management should be replaced at the same time.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
GM_Dulles_Marriott, Director of Operations at Washington Dulles Airport Marriott, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Dear greg a,

It is with great disappointment that we read this review about your recent experience at our hotel. Clearly this is not an example of Marriott's high standards of hospitality. We apologize for our evident communication failure and also the lack of delivery of services to you during your stay. This is, in no way, acceptable to us, and it is a guest interaction failure that we need to address immediately. Thank you for caring enough to share your experience with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Turkish first
Malta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I only spent 14 hours at this hotel since I had my longest layover ever and didn't even technically spend one night there as I left in the evening.

When I arrived (at 8AM) I was told the room wasn't ready yet however the nice front desk receptionist worked her magic and gave me a room anyway. It was much appreciated and things like this make me go back to the same hotel next time.

There's nothing around this hotel obviously but it's literally 2 minutes away from IAD with a free shuttle every 15 minutes. Good rest, good shower, and you'll be set for your next flight. I know where I'll be next time I will have another long layover at IAD.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
GM_Dulles_Marriott, Director of Operations at Washington Dulles Airport Marriott, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear Wrestling-Online,

We are happy to hear that your brief, 14 hour stay with us was to your liking. Thank you for letting us know that our staff was quick to accommodate you and that you found our location very convenient. We are glad we were able to help you get rested and refreshed for the next part of your journey. We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are traveling.
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I spent a night here because of a cancelled flight and found the hotel to be conveniently located with a shuttle that runs from the airport every 15 minutes. A number of airline personnel checked in when I did. The room was nicely appointed with a comfortable bed. I always appreciate having a coffeemaker in the room. Nice indoor pool, quiet atmosphere, great front desk staff. Although the only reason I ever stay at an airport hotel is a flight problem, I'd stay here again. A very pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Bottom floor was very quiet even with conventioneers. Although the back side overlooks the parking l...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
GM_Dulles_Marriott, Director of Operations at Washington Dulles Airport Marriott, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear voljo,

We are pleased to know your quick overnight stay with us was a pleasant experience for you. It makes us happy to learn that our shuttle service to and from the airport, comfortable rooms and helpful staff all helped take a bit of the stress out of your travel day. We do hope you will stay with us again next time you are in the area.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

The only reason for a **** is because limited access to restaurants. But great for late night arrival or getting to airport. Just renovated. Highly recommended for value and location to airport if you don't want to taxi it. The restaurant and bar are pretty good there

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
GM_Dulles_Marriott, Director of Operations at Washington Dulles Airport Marriott, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Dear david s,

Thank you for taking the time to review our newly renovated hotel with other TripAdvisor members. We are glad you found us a good value and that our location made it easy to get to and from the airport quickly, no matter what time you arrive. We look forward to welcoming you back next time you come to the area.
Kalispell, Montana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Let's face it, people stay here due to its location and probably not any other reason. I think at least 80% of the folks staying here, maybe more, are flight crews or chronic business travelers. They are there do to the easy in and out access to the airport. There is a shuttle that runs about every 14 minutes for most of the day beginning at 3 or 3:30 AM to get folks to the airport in time for the early flights. The food was average but cost a lot = poor value. The front desk staff were short and curt with their customer service and I didn't look forward to interacting with them at all, coming or going. The view from our room was nice enough for an airport hotel as they do have a nice pond outside one side of the hotel but that doesn't do much for me or others I imagine. One of my pet peeves are when the housekeepers leave the shower curtain hooks undone (see picture). I view this as simply lazy!!! Take the extra 30 seconds to hook up the curtain so I don't have to re-hook the ones that have come undone before I take my shower. I also think this is indicative of the quality of the house keeping taking place in the rooms in general. Marriott should take a hint and implement a policy to properly hook their shower curtains. All in all I would stay here again for the convenience but only if it was a business trip where I was hard pressed for time in the morning to get to the airport. Otherwise, for a full-featured Marriott it's a poor one and I would stay away.

Travelbrainstorm[dot]com

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a pond view if you enjoy a water view.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear TravelBrainStorm,

We are glad to know you would declare our hotel the "Best Airport Hotel location" and that you found our extensive airport shuttle hours and frequency back and forth to the airport so convenient and helpful to your travel plans. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced with your shower curtain and housekeeping staff, it is never our intention to disappoint our guests in any way. We do appreciate your feedback regarding your room as it helps us to identify areas in our hotel that we need to focus on and you can rest assured that your feedback is being discussed with all relevant management. We hope to welcome you back one day soon.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

It was a few years back but I thought I had written a review of this airport hotel. After crossing from west to east across the country I booked this hotel while swapping aircraft in Atlanta. This was our last night in the U.S.A and I have to say it was an inspired booking (this was the 1st time I had stayed in a Marriott hotel that then gave us the bug for staying in them.) Close to the airport but easy to get into the city via transfer back to airport then a bus in the heart of the city. Outstanding service, room, breakfast, pool and staff were exceptional. Not much more to say really
10/10 all day long . . . . .

Room Tip: Book in advance as the turn up price costs a lot more
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_Dulles_Marriott, Director of Operations at Washington Dulles Airport Marriott, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Dear ChrisKim22,

It is never too late to hear from our guests, especially when they rate the hotel a "10/10!" We are happy to hear that you had a great overnight stay with us before returning to the Unite Kingdom and that you found the service "outstanding" and our location so convenient. We hope we can welcome you back next time you visit the United States!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Stayed here one night due to flight out of Dulles being cancelled. King room with lake view was a large, clean, and comfortable space. The lake view rooms are a good distance from the lobby but well worth the extra steps. Friendly and helpful staff. The fruit water in the lobby was a thoughtful touch. Shuttle to and from airport was a great help and ran every 15 minutes.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear NCinWV,

We are so happy that you had a great overnight stay with us. Traveling can be stressful and we are glad that our convenient shuttle service and a few "special touches" helped to make your stay more enjoyable. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Been to Washington Dulles Airport Marriott? Share your experiences!