“RODENT POOP IN MY BED LINENS.” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Comfortable Day Rooms
Ranked #4 of 5 hotels in Dulles
Forest Hills, New York
“RODENT POOP IN MY BED LINENS.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Give this facility a point for meaning well. Checked in very late on Wed., April 9, 2014 for 3 nights of Washington D.C. sightseeing; with my fiancé and her 11 year-old son. Even though we called from the road for a late check-in, no rooms available. Other travelers getting “walk letters.” Night manager took pity on tired us and ran and checked a closed room -- # 2402 -- and pronounced it available for us.

Also, we had reserved a room with 2 full beds and only got 1 queen bed and a roll-away cot. So we were given comped buffet breakfasts and free room wi-fi. Neat, huh?

Next morning I went to breakfast and noodled around on the lobby computer. Came back to room to find my fiancé freaking out. She was straightening up (which she does) and found rodent droppings in the sheets. She called some supervisor in and I went to the front desk and dragged back the available manager. We took lots of pictures, which you don't really want to see.

I can guess why the room had been closed.

I’m an attorney for 30+ years and have traveled extensively. NEVER saw the likes of this.

After some pushing back-and-forth got 2 of my 3 nights comped. So this hotel doesn’t get the very lowest grade. But this shouldn’t have been so difficult. And comp should have been for 3 nights. Of course we got a room change to another queen-size bed room + cot.

Do I have to mention that I was nauseated, etc.? I mean, I slept in this mess. In case you’re wondering, my fiancé has for years ALWAYS told me never to sleep under hotel linens, which I’ve pooh-poohed. That night she slept on top of the linens, as she always does. So now she also has a lifetime “I told you so” to use on me.

Still. Trash overflowing in outdoors bins by the smoking area when we came back from a casino excursion in the wee hours.

Also, concierge area is sad. It should either be upgraded with decent snacks and munchies and stuff or eliminated. And there ain’t no concierge that I could see.

The overpriced buffet breakfast at $14.95 should at least have a tray of assorted cheeses.

This hotel is not at the top of its game, although it looks pretty from the outside.

As I’m typing this I’m wondering, if there’s rodent poop is there not also rodent urine? (Time for me to take yet another shower.)

Room Tip: Check the bed linens when you first get to your room.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
GM_Dulles_Marriott, Director of Operations at Washington Dulles Airport Marriott, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear GER108,

We take this type of situation very seriously and, as such, had an outside company come in to conduct a full inspection of your room within hours of your departure. This specialist found no such evidence of any kind of which you are reporting and provided us with a full report documenting his findings. We apologize if our property did not live up to your personal expectations and we tried to the best of our ability to compensate you for any inconvenience that you may have experienced as a result of not getting the type of room you wanted during a sold-out situation.

301 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Turkish first
Juneau, Alaska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We arrived very tired after traveling from Alaska through Seattle. Hence, many hours. We had made reservations months before, had a printout of the "reservation Confirmation" with name and number. It couldn't be found. The clerk, Ratika, gave us a really hard time that she had no such reservation, even with our paperwork. I finally asked her, "Is the hotel full?" She said, "no". I said, "then, what is all this hassle about then? Just book us a room!" Room was possibly smoked in, and we were moved promptly to another. Complimentary breakfasts were really good. Nice lounge.
Returning through Washington a couple weeks later, the front desk staff, Usman, couldn't have been nicer!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
GM_Dulles_Marriott, Director of Operations at Washington Dulles Airport Marriott, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Springdog,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback on your hotel experience. We are glad that you gave us a second chance on the way back and apologize for any confusion you may have had with your initial arrival here. This is not exemplary of our hotel's service and we are reviewing this feedback to ensure that it does not happen again. We hope to welcome you back again if your travels bring you through Dulles in the future.
Santa Rosa, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Let's start with the conclusion. It took us 25 minutes from the moment the shuttle bus--which leaves every 15 minutes--departed the Marriott to when we arrived at our GATE at Dulles. In the past we would drive the 2 1/2 hours from Virginia to catch our mid-morning flight, exhausted even before the day started. No more. We dropped off our Hertz rental off and walked to the hotel, which is right next to it. Had room service. Slept. Had the breakfast buffet. Caught the hotel limo. Caught our flight. It couldn't have been easier.

Room Tip: The only downside is that our room was near the pool, where a bunch of kids got rowdy. No harm. Ju...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Brian E,

You've exactly captured why travelers love our hotel at Dulles Airport so much! It is a clean, comfortable, quiet place to stay so you don't arrive so harried and exhausted at the airport. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Smithfield, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The staff was very friendly and helpful. Even the cleaning staff said hello in the halls (very refreshing!!!!!). We were attending a conference and the meeting facilities were great. Beds were comfy and fresh with no airplane noise. However, the cleanliness wasn't the best. There was mold in the shower ceiling and I kept finding black long hairs. And there was an old candy wrapper in the desk drawer. There was also a small fridge stuck in the room that was not working. Might have been because it was plugged into a desk lap - which I found odd. Loved the location and people but they need to a bit more tidy for me to return again.

Stayed April 2014
Dear Dialady,

Thank you for sharing your review with us. We are happy that you found our staff very friendly and helpful, but we are very sorry that your housekeeping experience was so unacceptable. We will be reviewing this feedback immediately with our head of housekeeping to ensure this does not happen again. We hope that you will give us another chance on your next stay in the area.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Attended conference . The "special" conference rate was $10 off rack rate which is the exact same rate as AAA/senior etc. Big whoop!

Breakfast buffet was $20 and ok but very limited selection.

Room was clean but the beds were horrible. They felt like they have been here since the hotel was new. I think the Wright Brothers stayed here. Both nights I slept poorly and I tried both beds. Instead of refreshed, I'm feeling like I need to find my massage threapist for a session.

The single serving coffee pot was hidden in the dresser? No mini fridge.

Internet access is wireless and not free to guests. Won't stay here again if i can help it.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Richard C,

We are incredibly sorry that you felt our hotel did not live up to Marriott's high standards of hospitality. We have taken note of your feedback and will be reviewing it at our next meeting. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Had an early flight out of Dulles Airport, and did not want to risk getting caught on route 66, so booked a room at the Marriott. Parking is provided, so that sealed the deal. Hotel staff was very helpful and accomodating, even kept a bag with my winter coat in storage, for the almost two weeks i was away.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
GM_Dulles_Marriott, Director Of Operations at Washington Dulles Airport Marriott, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear mas47,

Our associates work very hard to accommodate travelers in and out of the airport as we know that is the main reason people stay here. We are so glad to hear that it worked out well for you and hope to welcome you back again one day soon.
Brunswick, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We were traveling for 8 days, and reserved a room that came with 7 days free parking for $114. That came out to about -$6 for the room, and $120 for parking in the airport lot. Our room was clean and comfortable. The lounge, for breakfast, was popular but had plenty of room, and breakfast at 6 AM was a full buffet with eggs, toast, muffins, juices, and fruits. We were given a free extra day of parking, thanks to a kindly front desk agent, saving $30 for the extension to 8 days, and the courtesy bus driver handled a couple of hundred pounds of dive gear without complaint. On our return today, the bus happened to be right at the airport as we walked out, so I can't comment on how long it takes for them to arrive when called, but since the hotel is so VERY close to the airport, I suspect the answer is 'not long". overall, a great stay, and a great deal for parking!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Kennon W,

We are so glad that everything worked out well and convenient for you. Our parking package does provide a great value for travelers. We hope to welcome you again one day!

Been to Washington Dulles Airport Marriott? Share your experiences!