“Chance encounter” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Dulles
Syracuse
“Chance encounter”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Like many other reviewers of this property, we ended up here because of a cancelled United flight that was grounded for mechanical issues - interestingly, it was one of four mechanical cancellations by United we witnessed that day! The voucher for the room was provided by the airlines. We arrived at the hotel at night after a long and frustrating day at about 11:30 pm. The front desk staff were quickly accommodating large numbers of arriving people. The room was comfortable and surprisingly quiet despite the proximity to the airport. There is free wi-fi in the lobby area and a free shuttle to the airport. Food was okay although we didn't opt to have a full meal. Service was a little slow at night - seemed only one person was covering the dining area. While this wouldn't be my first pick for a DC hotel, I was pleased to have ended up with a very comfortable room and bath.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
GM_Dulles_Marriott, Director Of Operations at Washington Dulles Airport Marriott, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Dear Bus_Pleasure_Travels,

Thank you for posting your review on your unplanned stay here at our hotel. We are glad that we were able to provide a safe, warm, comfortable place for you to stay. We do apologize about any slow service that you may have experienced. When flights are cancelled at the last minute due to mechanical issues, our property can go from normal check-ins and check-outs to an overly busy arrival experience within minutes so it can be hard to manage staff allocation, but we do our best. We always appreciate guests' patience during these times.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Turkish first
Dayton, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

This was an unplanned overnight stay due to a missed flight. Arrived at 10:30pm with voucher from United Airlines, booked in without problem. Was sent straight to the basement, ok it was the subterranean first floor in a King room, directly across pool, workout room and spa(?) Naturally, they had all closed at 10pm. Tried to use the pool, but once in the pool room, a siren went off. So I just went to my room and thought about using room service, however, guess what? It closed at 11pm, five minutes earlier. Oh well went to bed, didn't sleep well, but that wasn't the hotels fault, just me. Got up at 5:30am, used the shower/bathroom and found it clean and tidy.
The hotel is dated but the bar looked inviting in the evening and the 10$ breakfast buffet sure did smell good when I passed it at 6am, and if I had a few more minutes, I would have definitely eaten there. So if you have a chance, try it!

Room Tip: Get up a little earlier and try the 10$ breakfast buffet.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
GM_Dulles_Marriott, Director Of Operations at Washington Dulles Airport Marriott, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
Dear Del7777777

We are so sorry that you had flight difficulties but glad that you came to stay with us. We do apologize that our operational schedule was not conducive to your arrival timing, but glad that you had an enjoyable stay nonetheless.
Honolulu
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

On Sunday, February 16, I had my first stay at the Washington Dulles Airport Marriott due to a 12 hours over night lay over at IAD (Istanbul via Frankfurt with lay over IAD continuation to SFO then Honolulu). Exited Customs and called the hotel at 8:35PM for shuttle pick up. I was told shuttle picks up paxs every 15 minutes. No shuttle and the number of paxs waiting for the shuttle grows at 2H, so I called the hotel again at 8:52PM and I was told the shuttle was on its way and it would take longer due to the snow on the roadways. (BTW the roadways were clear and dry without any snow.) Another 15 minutes go by and at 9:03PM I call the hotel and get the same response... now a huge crowd of paxs are waiting for the Marriott shuttle. Finally, the shuttle shows up and the mass hoard rushes to the shuttle. Only half of the paxs were able to get on board and the shuttle driver is calling the hotel and pleading with the person on the other end to send the other shuttle to the airport due to the angry paxs. Check in was okay and I received an apology for the shuttle tardiness. The concierge level room and lounge were nice. I had breakfast in the morning in the Concierge Lounge and the staff was very friendly. The cold, lack of personality front desk agent, Jim, checked me out after I had breakfast. His reply was "You're checked out." I did NOT hear the usual check out courtesy message: How was your stay with us? Thank you for being a gold member and we hope to see you again. I thought that it was rude and unprofessional of Jim, so I went back to the desk and asked him if the service at this hotel is always a horrible experience. I told him about the shuttle incident last evening, but my horrible service comments were more directed at his performance (I already received an apology for the shuttle tardiness on Sunday night during check in). I asked for the manager on duty business card, but he told me that the cards were locked in the manager's office. I asked him to write down the manager's name and he only wrote the first name, Daniel, on one of the hotel cards. My final words to him, "I'm glad I'm not staying this hotel again." (I have a booking at the Marriott Washington Dulles Suites for my 12 hour over night layover stay in March 2014. The Marriott Suites reviews are better and their shuttle service seems reliable - their shuttle appeared twice before the Washington Dulles Airport Marriott every 15 minute shuttle appeared.)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dear OahuTrvlr,

It is never our intention to disappoint a guest in any way and we are truly sorry for the shuttle delays that you experienced. This bad winter has indeed played some havoc on our shuttle but we do our best at all times to ensure a timely pickup and dropoff as we know that travelers are weary from their flights. We also coach our associates to provide a warm and welcoming experience for guests at all times and your interaction is clearly not acceptable. We will be reviewing this situation immediately and appreciate that you brought it to our attention.
Midland, tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Went there for a reunion which this hotel is best at. The price was good but a long way from dc. A friend gave me his metro pass and told me to put money in it and just use the busses and trains. I had read on earlier posts that the hotel shuttle to dulles was erratic and undependable. You have to catch the metro bus to dc at dulles so the shuttle running on time was critical. Well, the shuttle and the metro ran like clockwork. The drivers were friendly and great. Yes, it took more than 1 hour to get to dc but you just work around it. There was only one stop on the metro before getting off in Arlington and catching the next bus across the river. We were there for a week and had plenty of time to see the attractions. We were told that the train would go to dulles some day, but not soon

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
GM_Dulles_Marriott, Director Of Operations at Washington Dulles Airport Marriott, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear Westexans,

We are so glad that you found our hotel shuttle so reliable. Our shuttle drivers work hard to ensure this is a convenient transportation option for guests as when you are dealing with transfers to the airport in particular, timeliness is of the utmost importance.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

I like Marriott. Ok so it is the same box, everywhere but it is reliable, clean, functional with a nod to friendly.

That's a good achievement in this day and age.

This Marriott didn't disappoint.

Reliably Marriott

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear SenorFirenze,

We love to hear that our guests like you "like Marriott." Thanks so much for sharing your opinions about our reliability. We hope to welcome you back again one day soon at our hotel -- or another Marriott.
Wigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Stayed here due to missed connection (along with many others). Reception was quick and efficient, room was a little characterless but after over 4 hours of queuing at the airport, if it just had a bed I'd have taken it! The bar area was nice, pretty good selection if beers and food. Airport shuttle was bang on time and takes 5-10 mins.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
GM_Dulles_Marriott, Director Of Operations at Washington Dulles Airport Marriott, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Stanleytic,

We are very sorry that you were stuck at the airport but glad that we were able to provide you with a clean and comfortable place to sleep. Thank you for your positive comments about our shuttle and we will be sure to pass these accolades on to our drivers as it will mean a lot to them.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night at the end of a two week business trip on the 29th of January. Check in was fast and easy. As a gold member they upgraded me to suite always a good start. As with most full marriotts they rooms are dark and the furniture a little old fashioned and tired looking but comfortable. Nice living / dining and bedroom but toilet is small. The bar area and lounge are modern in comparison to the rooms and looked to have been upgraded fairly recently. The staff in this area were friendly and very efficient. The food was very average and expensive. The room service pizza was good but 23 dollars, I should have ordered Domminos. Concierge lounge was good. Within walking distance of the airport.
Overall an average hotel.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
GM_Dulles_Marriott, Director Of Operations at Washington Dulles Airport Marriott, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear Andrew R,

As a clear road warrior who logs a lot of miles, we appreciate the time you took to post your review of our hotel. Thanks so much for sharing your experience.

Been to Washington Dulles Airport Marriott? Share your experiences!