“Washington Dulles Airport Marriott... Failure” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Comfortable Day Rooms
Ranked #4 of 5 hotels in Dulles
Honolulu
“Washington Dulles Airport Marriott... Failure”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

On Sunday, February 16, I had my first stay at the Washington Dulles Airport Marriott due to a 12 hours over night lay over at IAD (Istanbul via Frankfurt with lay over IAD continuation to SFO then Honolulu). Exited Customs and called the hotel at 8:35PM for shuttle pick up. I was told shuttle picks up paxs every 15 minutes. No shuttle and the number of paxs waiting for the shuttle grows at 2H, so I called the hotel again at 8:52PM and I was told the shuttle was on its way and it would take longer due to the snow on the roadways. (BTW the roadways were clear and dry without any snow.) Another 15 minutes go by and at 9:03PM I call the hotel and get the same response... now a huge crowd of paxs are waiting for the Marriott shuttle. Finally, the shuttle shows up and the mass hoard rushes to the shuttle. Only half of the paxs were able to get on board and the shuttle driver is calling the hotel and pleading with the person on the other end to send the other shuttle to the airport due to the angry paxs. Check in was okay and I received an apology for the shuttle tardiness. The concierge level room and lounge were nice. I had breakfast in the morning in the Concierge Lounge and the staff was very friendly. The cold, lack of personality front desk agent, Jim, checked me out after I had breakfast. His reply was "You're checked out." I did NOT hear the usual check out courtesy message: How was your stay with us? Thank you for being a gold member and we hope to see you again. I thought that it was rude and unprofessional of Jim, so I went back to the desk and asked him if the service at this hotel is always a horrible experience. I told him about the shuttle incident last evening, but my horrible service comments were more directed at his performance (I already received an apology for the shuttle tardiness on Sunday night during check in). I asked for the manager on duty business card, but he told me that the cards were locked in the manager's office. I asked him to write down the manager's name and he only wrote the first name, Daniel, on one of the hotel cards. My final words to him, "I'm glad I'm not staying this hotel again." (I have a booking at the Marriott Washington Dulles Suites for my 12 hour over night layover stay in March 2014. The Marriott Suites reviews are better and their shuttle service seems reliable - their shuttle appeared twice before the Washington Dulles Airport Marriott every 15 minute shuttle appeared.)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
GM_Dulles_Marriott, Director Of Operations at Washington Dulles Airport Marriott, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
Dear OahuTrvlr,

It is never our intention to disappoint a guest in any way and we are truly sorry for the shuttle delays that you experienced. This bad winter has indeed played some havoc on our shuttle but we do our best at all times to ensure a timely pickup and dropoff as we know that travelers are weary from their flights. We also coach our associates to provide a warm and welcoming experience for guests at all times and your interaction is clearly not acceptable. We will be reviewing this situation immediately and appreciate that you brought it to our attention.

344 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Turkish first
Midland, tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Went there for a reunion which this hotel is best at. The price was good but a long way from dc. A friend gave me his metro pass and told me to put money in it and just use the busses and trains. I had read on earlier posts that the hotel shuttle to dulles was erratic and undependable. You have to catch the metro bus to dc at dulles so the shuttle running on time was critical. Well, the shuttle and the metro ran like clockwork. The drivers were friendly and great. Yes, it took more than 1 hour to get to dc but you just work around it. There was only one stop on the metro before getting off in Arlington and catching the next bus across the river. We were there for a week and had plenty of time to see the attractions. We were told that the train would go to dulles some day, but not soon

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
GM_Dulles_Marriott, Director Of Operations at Washington Dulles Airport Marriott, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear Westexans,

We are so glad that you found our hotel shuttle so reliable. Our shuttle drivers work hard to ensure this is a convenient transportation option for guests as when you are dealing with transfers to the airport in particular, timeliness is of the utmost importance.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

I like Marriott. Ok so it is the same box, everywhere but it is reliable, clean, functional with a nod to friendly.

That's a good achievement in this day and age.

This Marriott didn't disappoint.

Reliably Marriott

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear SenorFirenze,

We love to hear that our guests like you "like Marriott." Thanks so much for sharing your opinions about our reliability. We hope to welcome you back again one day soon at our hotel -- or another Marriott.
Wigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Stayed here due to missed connection (along with many others). Reception was quick and efficient, room was a little characterless but after over 4 hours of queuing at the airport, if it just had a bed I'd have taken it! The bar area was nice, pretty good selection if beers and food. Airport shuttle was bang on time and takes 5-10 mins.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
GM_Dulles_Marriott, Director Of Operations at Washington Dulles Airport Marriott, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Stanleytic,

We are very sorry that you were stuck at the airport but glad that we were able to provide you with a clean and comfortable place to sleep. Thank you for your positive comments about our shuttle and we will be sure to pass these accolades on to our drivers as it will mean a lot to them.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night at the end of a two week business trip on the 29th of January. Check in was fast and easy. As a gold member they upgraded me to suite always a good start. As with most full marriotts they rooms are dark and the furniture a little old fashioned and tired looking but comfortable. Nice living / dining and bedroom but toilet is small. The bar area and lounge are modern in comparison to the rooms and looked to have been upgraded fairly recently. The staff in this area were friendly and very efficient. The food was very average and expensive. The room service pizza was good but 23 dollars, I should have ordered Domminos. Concierge lounge was good. Within walking distance of the airport.
Overall an average hotel.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
GM_Dulles_Marriott, Director Of Operations at Washington Dulles Airport Marriott, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear Andrew R,

As a clear road warrior who logs a lot of miles, we appreciate the time you took to post your review of our hotel. Thanks so much for sharing your experience.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

As you drive out of the airport you may see the marriott sign and think "oh what a dinky dink little hotel". But as you pull up to it, notice an inviting front entryway, open air lobby/lobby bar and restaurant and the building completely surrounding a quiet, peaceful courtyard with indoor/outdoor pool and fitness centers.
Service was excellent! Front desk staff extremely helpful.

I got in around 10pm and sat in the lobby bar area. Famished, I tried the petit filet mignon. It rivaled steaks I've had at fine steakhouses across the country. And at $27 a bargain.

Room was clean spacious and comfortable. Only downside - elevator was broken and I had a bunch of luggage. Only one flight up, but hey.

If you're looking to stay in the Dulles area, this is the hotel to do it at.

• Stayed January 2014
GM_Dulles_Marriott, Director Of Operations at Washington Dulles Airport Marriott, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Dear Ed L,

We greatly appreciate your review of our hotel and are very sorry about the broken elevator. We would have been happy to assist in bringing your bags up to your room for you. Thank you very much for the kind words about the hotel and we are thrilled that you enjoyed your meal. We look forward to welcoming you back again.
El Cajon, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

We missed a connecting flight due to weather, the airline gave us a discount coupon to use at Washington Dulles Airport Marriott. We had no luggage and needed hairbrush, shower cap, razor, toothbrushes, etc., hotel only had razor and toothbrushes. Room was WAY away from lobby. Room floor had used swizzle stick and other stuff on it. Bed was comfortable. Hotel shuttle was prompt and convenient. Okay place in a pinch.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
GM_Dulles_Marriott, Director Of Operations at Washington Dulles Airport Marriott, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear Joyce M,

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave your review. We're very sorry that we weren't able to provide all of the toiletries that you were in need of.

Been to Washington Dulles Airport Marriott? Share your experiences!