“Still reliable” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Dulles
San Diego
“Still reliable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Have stayed here many times over the years, rooms have been redone, and it was a snowy night, so many stranded travelers were trickling in all night long, and there were a few office parties that were really loud passing through the halls, but other than that, a standard Marriott stay with friendly service, and nice personnel

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
GM_Dulles_Marriott, Director Of Operations at Washington Dulles Airport Marriott, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Dear Fooddr,

Thank you for being a loyal guest. We appreciate your continued patronage and also your positive comments about our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Turkish first
Waynesburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

we had a terrible experience leaving Cancun, flight delays, lost luggage, missed connections, hours in customs line-up and to top it all off we couldn't get another flight out until the morning. So we decided we would take a hotel room. The shuttle comes to pick you up at 2H at the parking level of the airport (right out from baggage claim). We arrived at around 1:00am and were greeted by the front desk agent. Got our keys and room quickly and before long ready for bed. The beds were heaven...like falling onto a marshmallow! The pillows equally as incredible! I just wanted to roll around in the bed like a little kid! It was exactely what I needed after a week in Cancun with rock hard beds and a crazy 12 hour travel day. The amenities provided by the hotel were great! The aromatherapy body wash, orange and tangerine rice bran soap...I wanted to have extra to take home! I would most definitely stay here again if ever in the area, and will for certain stay again with the brand just for the beds!!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
GM_Dulles_Marriott, Director of Operations at Washington Dulles Airport Marriott, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
Dear BinMcKin,

We know traveling can be stressful and were happy to learn that our staff and the hotel made your overnight stay with us so pleasant. Making our guests feel welcome and comfortable is a goal that we strive for each day and it certainly sounds like you had a "heavenly" night's sleep at our Marriott! We are glad to know the hotel amenities helped to make a difference in your stay. We appreciate the fact that you took the time to share your experience with other TripAdvisor members and we hope to welcome you back soon.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

I spent one night here, after arriving at Dulles late on a Sunday night. This is the closest hotel for an arriving passenger. There is a shuttle bus, but I already had a rental car, so the free parking is a plus as well. I was pleasantly surprised at how quiet my room was (tower 3, 3rd floor). The room was spacious and comfortable, typical for a full service Marriott. Breakfast at the exec lounge the next morning was fine.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
GM_Dulles_Marriott, at Washington Dulles Airport Marriott, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear Steve K,
We are very happy that your quick, one night stay was to your liking and that you were able to take advantage of the free parking and enjoy breakfast before you were on your way. We strive to make each guests stay a comfortable and enjoyable one. We hope you will stay again, next time you are visiting the area.
Cambridge, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Yes convenient for the airport, having arrived at 9pm from UK (just don't get me started about the antiquated disembarkation process from international flights at Dulles.........). Shuttle appeared in about 10 minutes of getting to kurbside ... smooth checkin, well appointed room ........but continual noises from the 'building' (not other guests) though out the night made it impossible to get a sound nights sleep. Gurgling from pipes, a crash every hour or so that sounded like someone hitting a metal plate....

Hotels that sell themselves on closeness to airport should also ensure breakfast is available from earlier than 6am, even a reduced service from 5am would help the harrassed traveller.

Oh yes, on packing up to leave noticed a used wine cork in middle of floor, so room cleanliness is a bit suspect

All in all not sure I would visit this Marriott again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
GM_Dulles_Marriott, Director Of Operations at Washington Dulles Airport Marriott, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear Ashgreen,

We apologize for the experience that you had during your stay with us and that you were unable to get a restful sleep. While not a brand-new hotel, the noise disturbances that you experienced are not common and we will be investigating this situation immediately. It is never our intention to disappoint guests in any way and clearly there are a few issues where we fell short that we need to address immediately.
Orange, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

I well remember when this hotel first opened. It's been around a long time. I've stayed here at least 20 times over the years and NEVER have I been disappointed. Great staff, great service and still a fine location. I seriously question the majority of the negative reviews. Mostly, I wonder if they knew where they stayed. Never had a negative experience with any Marriot Hotel and I've been travelling for 48 years, about 200 nights a year.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
GM_Dulles_Marriott, Director Of Operations at Washington Dulles Airport Marriott, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear 414Bookworm,

As an undisputed road warrior, we greatly appreciate your review and loyalty to the Marriott brand. Thank you for sharing your experiences at our hotel — particularly since you have been here over 20 times! We look forward to welcoming you back again one day soon.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

I've stayed at Marriotts all over the world but this one is really disappointing.
First, the information provided about shuttle service is wrong. I emailed prior to making bookings to check if there is shuttle service that goes to my office and was told it runs every 15 minutes but when I arrived, I found out the shuttle is only by booking. 5 of 6 times I used the shuttle it was stressful because it was late unsure of where the office was and at one time even got lost causing me to be late for my meeting. 5/6 times was a different driver as someone from the office do the driving. Apart from this the heating system was not working properly and after calling 4 times over 2 hours finally someone came to deliver a portable heater. While the management sent a bottle of wine as a "sorry" token. The problem seems to be just the same. There is no consistency and I can only "hope" any booking / request I make gets to the right dept. Seems like there is no proper handover between shift and dept. My worst Marriott experience ever!!! Plus hotel is old and rooms are small - better value at other hotels nearby.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
GM_Dulles_Marriott, Director Of Operations at Washington Dulles Airport Marriott, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear wendikaa18,

We sincerely apologize for any difficulties you experienced during your stay with us. We have no excuse for the troubles you had with the shuttle service and we are taking this opportunity to review shuttle schedules, stops, directions, and policies with that department immediately as this is as unacceptable to us as it is to you. This is definitely not keeping up with Marriott's standards for hospitality. We are also sorry for the problems that you experienced with the heater. Since we are just heading into the winter season, we are finding that the heating systems in certain rooms are not functioning properly and we can only repair them as we are alerted to the breakdowns by our guests. We have taken all of your comments to heart and we are indeed working on rectifying them all.
Pleasanton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

My son and I stayed in this hotel a year ago and I thought it was passable: very well located, reasonably quiet and clean.

Fast forward to the night before Thanksgiving. We arrived after a long drive in the hopes of a quick shower and an early bedtime before our early morning flight. The bathroom appeared clean but had an aura of being last updated during the Nixon administration. The drop ceiling was so low that when I raised my arms to dry the top of my hair, the hairdryer banged into the off-kilter ceiling tiles.

I realize that people come and go at all hours in an airport hotel, especially, but the walls were paper thin. I could hear an extended cell phone conversation in the room behind my head, diagnosed the person in the opposite room with bronchitis (I seriously hope he saw a doctor soon), and heard everything about the upcoming Thanksgiving dinner plans of the neighbors down the hall who felt compelled to talk in the hallway until 11:30 PM.

Climate control seemed nonexistent. It was warm and stuffy no matter what the setting.

I didn't notice until the next morning that the garbage can under the desk hadn't been emptied from the last guest, or that there were holes in the sheets on my bed. Now I have my doubts about the cleanliness of the whole experience.

If you need a conveniently located place to crash, I suppose it's ok. But location is all it has going for it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
GM_Dulles_Marriott, Director of Operations at Washington Dulles Airport Marriott, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear AliB21,

Clearly, we did not live up to your expectations regarding Marriott's high standards of hospitality at our hotel and for that we do apologize. While we are unable to change the physical setup of our guest room accommodations with regard to ceiling height and room size, we do try to ensure that the room is clean and that any possible service request is responded to immediately. We fell down in this regard during your stay and we will be discussing this review with our housekeeping department to ensure that this does not happen again. We can also completely understand and share your frustration about the noise level of other guests who do not choose to respect the fact that they are in close proximity to other individuals who may be trying to sleep or enjoy some quiet time. Unfortunately, we have no control over this. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the issues that you experienced and we are going to work hard to ensure that the ones within our control do not happen again.

Been to Washington Dulles Airport Marriott? Share your experiences!