“Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 5 hotels in Dulles
Jacksonville, Florida
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Where do I start? First, the bad: It is freezing in my room. Can't get it above 65. Toilet leaks inside. flushes itself every 10 minutes. Shower has low pressure and even lower temperature. Concierge lounge: food is scarce and not great. I ask for early housekeeping and all week they come 4-5 pm Seems like a 10 minute walk from front door to my room and I had to park in the boonies, probably due to the park and fly folks.
Now the good: Location is great, and staff is friendly and professional. They are remodeling but quietly and not intrusive. Room is large, clean and fairly quiet. You can hear the planes but not loud at all. The TV is pretty far from the seating and bed, but is reasonably sized so that is not a problem, however the menus did not function so you can't get PPV or services.
The Ugly: I had an end of the hallway room. Wireless? forget about it. I can connect, sloooowly, and have to reconnect frequently.
Having said all that, I will probably be back. These kind of issues are usually taken care of quickly, and may not affect other areas of the hotel

Room Tip: Stay away from the "nicer" rooms at the end of the hall
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

303 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. We spent one night here because we flew in ahead of our group and got a great rate. The hotel property is well maintained and the service is great. Loved my room and had a good nights sleep - nice and quiet being that the hotel is located so close to the airport. Food and bar was very good!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
dublin,ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I missed my connection and ended up staying at this hotel we were given vouchers for meals we ordered two burgers a toasted sandwich and i had chicken wings the food except for the chicken wings were fine the first one i ate was fine the second was tougher than jerky and i had to remove it and put it back on plate in the meantime my son ate one and said it was really spicy mine were not and after the second one that i could not even chew i told the waiter who just shrugged then asked for my bill .Now i expected the offending item from my bill to be removed but it was left on. I come from a place where good service gets a tip as i was not satisfied with the service and said so on bill and left no tip i was then approached by the manager who said they would have done my order again as it was late and i was going to bed i declined besides as i have worked in kitchens before i would never eat something out of a kitchen after a complaint thats just me I also told the restaurant manager that I would be eating elsewhere in the morning but what infuriated me was when i pointed this out to Marriott the manageress from Dulles claimed i was offered dessert and drinks which i refused that never happened i was also offered breakfast gratis but i had already told them i would not be eating there as i wanted hot food and i had more vouchers which were good in the airport and i did not like their response to my complaint the night before or the fact they seemed to be jeering me when i turned and went to my room i could hear them but not make out what they were saying .If a customer especially one who has just done a transatlantic flight with 3 children has a complaint it should be dealt with and offending items removed from bill no comments and no lies about what i was offered other than that nice place but on my return i missed my connection again i told them i did not want to stay in Marriott so they put me up in a Hilton which despite it being Xmas and understaffed were brilliant even took us to a shopping centre gratis to kill some time and gave me free use of their computer like i said Dulles nice place but the staff are woeful not all just enough to make it the worst stay in a hotel ever even the one in panama and i travel a lot through Europe and USA and i have never experienced such bad service i have no axe to grind as the airline paid for everything but bad service is bad service then staff telling lies to management makes it worse I have stayed in Marriott's before and often had Sunday lunch in the Greystones one never ever again

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Louisville, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

The real plus to this hotel is that fact that it is on the airport property. Being an airport "service" you can drive on the airport access road instead of the toll road. This makes it really easy to get to 28 and Herndon on via 657. You can also drive to Tysons without toll and without traffic at almost any time of day. The hotel has all the qualities of a full Marriott. The concierge lounge is nice and will meet the needs for most business travelers. The only downside is that the property is quite large (4 buildings) and long walks are possible. It took me about 5-10 minutes to walk from my room to the Fitness Center which was great. Overall a nice hotel if working in Herndon, Chantilly and the airport access road is a great plus.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Rockville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We are so glad to have discovered this airport Marriott which was clean, quiet and comfortable. The park and fly deal was especially nice and a real value. Staying here made our 6am flight out of Dulles much easier, and the night before less full of 'waking up early for a flight' dread. Staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Orange, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We live about 70 miles south of DC. When we need to take a morning flight, we always stay at the IAD Marriott. The staff are all friendly and helpful. Property, while certainly now getting older, still is very well maintained and has recently had a major renovation. Great food and bar.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
White Plains, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We expected very little from an "airport" hotel. So it is with great surprise that we loved our stay at this jewel of a hotel. The rooms themselves were nothing special and the walk to the room down endless corridors was a bit of a grind, but beyond that we loved our stay. The Marriott club on the second floor had fresh fruit, soda, fresh coffee and different foods depending on the time of day. Met some interesting people there as well.

But what separates this hotel from others is the staff. I have stayed in some grand hotels in Europe and some in the US, but the staff here was equal to any I have ever encountered. They were gracious, enthusiastic, knowledgeable and probably the best-looking counter people I have ever seen. We needed some advise about restaurants and such and they were very nice.

The internet in the room worked, something that you can't take for granted. The water pressure in the showers was consistent and hot and the towels were more than adequate. Cost of the stay was fair too.

The restaurant in the hotel serves a decent to good breakfast, including omelettes that are made to order.

If you need to stay over near Dulles, this would be a great choice.

Room Tip: Near an elevator close to the center core of the hotel would be a good choice.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Washington Dulles Airport Marriott? Share your experiences!