“consistent, year-in year-out year after year” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Comfortable Day Rooms
Ranked #4 of 5 hotels in Dulles
Lund, Sweden
“consistent, year-in year-out year after year”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I travel from Europe to the US a few times a year and have learned by experience that trying to connect to a domestic flight at Dulles is essentially impossible. Thus, instead of missing flights and sitting in the airport for an additional 6-8 hours, I started spending the night at the Dulles Marriott and continuing my trip via car the next day. I have stayed at this property perhaps 20 times over the past decade. It is very consistent. I use this property because of the shuttle bus service every 20 minutes. No telephones, no fuss, the bus is always there. The property is dated, but clean. The staff are very professional. The rooms are always quiet. The room service menu is functional. I think if you book through marriott.com, the internet is free (but I am not sure about this). The shuttle bus drivers will usually give you a ride to the rental car companies instead of taking you back to the airport to hop a rental car bus. All in all, I am very satisfied with this property because while it is not spectacular, it has been extremely consistent over the years. I know exactly what I will get, which is a de-stresser when traveling. If you have time and energy, explore. If you are a weary traveler looking to crash, in my opinion, this is the most efficient alternative in the Dulles area. Mid-week prices can be steep. Weekend prices tend to be very reasonable.

Room Tip: Ask to be isolated -- the property is sprawling, so there is usually a reasonable chance to get away...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

302 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Turkish first
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I made a reservation in this hotel because I had to stay overnight in Washigton for my flight. I booked the room around two months in advance. However, the day after I left the hotel I saw a charge in my credit card for the same amount that I had already paid. I contacted them and they said that it had been a mistake. They told me that I would get a refund in my next credit card billing cycle. Since it didn't happen, I contacted them again. To make a long story short, after several emails, phone calls and "we'll process your refund today", I still don't have it, and it's been more than two moths since I stayed there. I'm definitely NEVER coming back or recommending this hotel to any of my friends.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I have stayed here numerous times and this was the first time I ever noticed the makers of the sheets. Although the room was clean, didn't smell musty, & sheets were very soft, I was disappointed to see that the sheets and towels were not made in the USA - why does the Marriott company chooses to use them? ...As much as I like the hotel, maybe I need to change hotels and support those that support the USA.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

After reading some of the reviews i didn't expect too much from this place. It may not be the prettiest from the outside, but it was very nice on the inside imo. The check-in lady was very friendly and pleasant. The lobby was clean and nice with hotel bar and restaurant right there. My room seemed huge compared to other hotels and had a flat screen tv.. very nice and no airport noise either. I really enjoyed my one night stay here. Shuttle was prompt in the AM back to the airport. No issues whatsoever.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
chepstow wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Just the one night in this sprawling hotel and I must say a very comfortable night's sleep and an excellent breakfast the following morning and I was ready to get on my way to Solomons.

After a 22 hour journey from home to Washington Dulles airport, I just used the hotel as a place to sleep, the room (1302) was well equipped with two double beds and an excellent en-suite and an picturesque view over the lake, I didnt hear any noise from the airport even though you could easily walk to the terminal instead of taking the free shuttle.

The breakfast was good and plentiful, though I did order the "Great American Breakfast" as the company were footing the bill !

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We stayed here for one night on our way to NYC. This hotel was very convenient to the airport. We arrived at about 10:00 pm hungry and tired from a day full of traveling. It was nice that the lobby bar was still open and serving food. I had the steak sandwich and my wife had the crab cake sandwich. Both were very good. After a good meal and a few drinks, we headed off to our room.

The room was nice and well apportioned. Yes, the hotel is a bit tired and need a facelift, but it is still comfortable. The carpets looked to have been replaced and the rooms have been somewhat remodeled. The staff was friendly and very helpful. The airport shuttle runs every 15 minutes.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Boynton Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

This place doesn't look like a modern Marriott hotel. It looks more like a big version of a 1980s Marriott Courtyard -- lowrise, pool in the courtyard, limited meal service, etc. So if you are in the mood for a trip down memory lane, this could be the ticket.

POSITIVES

--Closest hotel to the terminal
--Free shuttle service
--Quiet setting
--Friendly, helpful staff
--Large room
--Food was okay

NEGATIVES

--Whole hotel has a tired look and feel
--Cranky wireless connection--expect to run "repair" everytime
--Restaurant inexpicably closed when it was supposed to be open
--Highest room service gouging for a bottle of wine I think I've seen: $40-50 for $9-10 bottles of wine

So, it was an okay hotel, but nothing to write home about.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Washington Dulles Airport Marriott? Share your experiences!