“Second Tier Marriott w/First Tier Service” 4 of 5 stars

Comfortable Day Rooms
Ranked #4 of 5 hotels in Dulles
Washington, DC
1,502 helpful votes 1,502 helpful votes
“Second Tier Marriott w/First Tier Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

My wife and I have stayed at this hotel for the past five years for early morning flights to Hawaii for Christmas and we've never been disappointed. While there are far nicer Marriott's in the chain, there aren't many that can beat the customer service at this property. The rooms are small but clean and functional and the lobby has been updated since our stay last Christmas. But there is no noise from the sound of planes taking off or landing and every year we've been at the hotel the halls are always quiet. In addition, we've always been able to book this hotel for $100 or less, which is absolutely phenomenal. So, if you live in the DC area (like we do) and have an early morning flight, there's no better place to stay than the Dulles Marriott.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

335 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Turkish first
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011 via mobile

Doing Park-n-Fly with this hotel is really the way to go. Although a bit daggy from the outside and not the world's greatest lobby, I have no hesitation recommending this Marriott. The customer service is really exceptional. I needed a fridge for medicine and they got one for me, and even when I couldn't find it and demanded another fridge-- rather than blame me or get upset, they sent another one up st midnight. And then I found the first one in a corner. Their diligence was amazing in the face of a wrong and cranky customer. They were also lovely with my luggage and other ways of just being pleasant and professional.

Not to mention, the gym is lovely and the price for the hotel + parking is an absolute steal. Whenever I can stay here again, I will do so in the future.

• Stayed December 2011
Pacific Grove, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

We're Marriott members, so when we take an international flight in or out of Dulles Airport, we like to stay at one of the nearby Marriotts hotels. The Marriott at the airport couldn't be more convenient, just a shuttle ride away from the pickup area. The staff are multi-lingual, friendly and very efficient. Rooms are more than adequate, and the menus in the lounge and the restaurant are inventive and tastey. If you just want a place to lay your head before or after a long flight, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Calabasas, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

I chose this hotel for its location, close to Dulles Airport. I had an early am flight to LAX. I had injured my knee during my visit and during check-in, I requested a room close to the check-in area. The room I got was just off the lobby area, not only was it very comfortable but it was very quiet considering the hotel was full and quite busy. There is a free shuttle bus to and from the airport. I had rented a car and the hotel was just a extremely short drive back to the rental car area. Free Wi-fi is only available in the lobby and for a fee in the room. The hotel is also close to the freeway system and easy to access depending on where you are driving in the Washington D.C. area. The hotel rate was appropriately priced at $99 per night with free parking.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

Yuck. This property is below the standard I expect of a full-service Marriott property.

While the lobby has been renovated and was very nice, the rest of the public spaces in the hotel were in poor condition. The elevator was dirty and had scratches all over the doors. The hallways had dirty carpet and scuffed walls. The room was, thankfully, in better shape, but it was also pretty average; it had old-style Marriott furniture and a small bathroom.

Service was awful. While the shuttle to the airport came in a timely fashion after a very late arrival into IAD, its driver barely spoke. At check-in, there was lots of confusion -- instead of a smooth process of giving my last name and card and getting a room key, I encountered long pauses, papers shifting, searches through the computer, etc.; the clerks did not seem to know what they were doing. My Marriott status was not recognized; despite this status meaning that properties are to grant me access to the executive lounge, I was not given a key that allowed lounge access. Even worse, I was assigned a room that someone was already sleeping in! After trying to unlock the door to that room with my key and getting a red sign, I had to go back to the lobby, where the desk employee said that the room's resident had called him about someone trying to break-in (I'm sure I did freak him out; it was after midnight). The desk clerk, after shifting around more papers, then claimed that "well, no one should have been checked-in to that room" -- about the last thing I needed to hear at that hour. I was assigned a new room in a few minutes, but apologies were lacking.

Not recommended -- there are lots of hotels close to Dulles, and my bet is they offer better facilities and certainly better service.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Columbia, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

we enjoyed the travel amenities here. the hotel offers long term airport parking for a very reasonable rate. the shuttle to the airport has an every 15 minute departure schedule. there is also a free shuttle to the air and space museum nearby. this is great because the museum is free but parking is $15. we checked in the night before a flight to geneva and toured the museum the day of our flight to kill time.

our room was clean, comfortable, and a good size. food options are limited. there is a bar which serves meals in the lobby and a restaurant which serves breakfast.

the hotel is in a grassy area near a pond and close to the airport. i would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

The Dulles Marriott is nice as far as airport hotels go, I rate it a little better than average because it has a nice lounge, open late with decent food. The rooms were not overly large, but comfortable and clean. The shuttle was very convenient and an extremely short ride back and forth from the airport.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Been to Washington Dulles Airport Marriott? Share your experiences!