“Appaling service and questionable shuttle service” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Dulles
Dorset, England
“Appaling service and questionable shuttle service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2010

This was a bad experience from start to finish. Firstly, I landed in Dulles around 9pm last Thursday night. After waiting 20 minutes at the Hotel shuttle stop in a biting wind, I phoned the hotel, was put on hold for 5 minutes (I timed it) only to be told that the shuttle is "on request". This is not mentioned on their website or on the 2 confirmation emails I received.
When I got to the hotel, the receptionist announced that "we've got a problem" and that I didn't have a reservation. I gave her my reservation number and showed her the confirmation emails on my blackberry. She claimed that the reservation number was in the name of someone else and for March 9th. I told her that this was not my problem and I was sure she had rooms available. She then took my credit card and Marriott card and allocated me a Double room as she had no King's available. Whilst the card was processing, she phoned someone externally and asked them to stay by their phone until she went off work as she needed to talk to them and "I will explain when I talk to you" - clearly a reference to her dissatisfaction which oozed from every pore of her body.
Got to my room to find the wireless did not function at all. I was not prepared to go back and face the seething mass of resentment again.
Next morning, the bill slipped under my door is at a rate $60 above the one confirmed on my reservation. I explain this to the new clerk who tells me it is because I moved to a Double. I tell him that it was the hotel who moved and he adjusts the rate in the computer.
As I'm coming to check out, this clerk is just going off shift, sees me coming and tells the new receptionist in Spanish that he changed my rate. Nevertheless she tries to suggest the rate is the higher one until I advise her that her colleague just told her that he has adjusted the rate.
Frankly, the only agreeable part of the whole experience was the shuttle bus ride back to the terminal for my trip home.
Rest assured I will never stay at that hotel again

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Vlaardingen, netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

We had some troubles during our december trip to Vegas and got stuck at Dulles airport. Called Marriott for available rooms nearby and they advised us this one. The taxi driver didn't know how to find it and drove past the exit. But the hotel also has a complimentary shuttle bus (we didn't want to wait for that after being on the airport for 8 hours without getting anywhere).

We arrived around 01:00 am and where helped friendly, they even apologized for not having a king size bed available in a regular room. (We have king bed as preference in our Marriott rewards account.) We got a handicaped room which meant large bathroom and wide hallway in the room.

Since we where tired we took a quick shower and went to bed to be woken after just two hours of sleep. We got good news instead of going home this afternoon we could go to Vegas :).

The room, bath and bed was fine.

Free Wifi in the hotel, free to use PC in the reception area also free breakfast. Although not open around 4:30 am we could take some food while waiting for the 5 o'clock shuttle bus. They also have a little shop for some essentials and snacks.

It's a short ride to the airport no shops nearby.

But as far we can judge it's a hotel without frills and fine for a short stay.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
cleveland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2009

I stay at this hotel often on buisness travel. Trust me, if I had a choice I would not. The rooms are fairly clean but a bit dated. There are no food options anywhere near the hotel as stated in another review. The room I am staying in tonight has 2 huge spot lights outside aimed right at the window. With all the supplied draps closed the room is almost bright enough to read in. Shaffer, the front desk guy is rude, condesending, and not in the least bit helpful. Not only tonight but anytime I have had to deal with him. I would not recommend this hotel at all. Oh, I almost forgot to mention the constant airplane noise. Yeah.....great hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for two nights in March. It is near the airport, which is great if you have a flight near Dulles. However, if you're like us and are using the hotel as a base for any reason (ours was a wedding) it is not a very good choice.

The best way to the hotel (and really the only way) involves a toll road! Also, it is not really near anything due to it's proximity to the airport. It was also understandably noisy due to plane fly overs.

The rooms were nice, beds comfortable, and the staff was great. Good breakfast!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2009

What a bad idea to go cheap and stay here. First of all, this is NOT a suite in any way. There is a small desk (like any hotel), a cheap coffer maker, and a 4.2cu ft fridge. That's it. No microwave, no kitchen, no separate sitting area, not even a sink except in the bathroom. I just don't know why they call this a suite on many travel sites.

This place is in the middle of nowhere. The only places you could eat within the 3 miles radius are hotel's breakfast room (the free hot breakfast is alright), and the Exxon convenient store's Subway across the street. Worst of all, this place seems to be on the flight path for most Dulles airplanes during take-off and landing. So, it's location is great if you want to be real close to Dulles (it's real *close*) and the airplanes.

The Wi-Fi speed is somewhat slow but VPN works fine. Room is clean and the bed is comfortable. The TV has all kind of snow / interferences on some Directv channels.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
West Sussex, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2009

We had a pretty disasterous start to our stay here, which to be fair was not in any way the hotel's fault. Curiously, there was no direct phone link to the hotel at the airport desk. We tried phoning from our cellphone, but it was permanently engaged. The driver on another Marriot bus, said we needed to phone the hotel to get them to collect us, lucikly the bus then showed up.

We were told at hotel check in that there was a total power cut in the area, and this meant the phone lines were down. They expected the power to be back on within a couple of hours, which was acceptable. Unfortunately, several hours later, the hotel was plunged into darkness, and the rooms were reaching 100 degrees without the A/C. I went to reception, where many unhappy guests were gathering. The front desk were disptached to a local store to buy torches, they said they thought it would be another couple of hours before power was restored. With this information, we decided to vacate to the nearby Springhill Inn and Suites, free transport and a special room rate was organised for us. This rate was however, more expensive than the one we had negoatiated at the Fairfield, some months previously.

When we returned to the Fairfield the following morning for the next 2 nights, power was restored and normal service was resumed. Our stay passed without any further drama. The hotel seemed very new, and was clean and immaculate throughout. The free breakfast was very good, and the staff were helpful.

However, on our return to the UK, I found that our credit card had been debited with 2 separate amounts of $86 and $40. As we were staying there on reward nights, and had receipts showing a zero balance, I was both disappointed and puzzled. I left 3 messages over several days with the Hotel General Manager. I had to threaten to put the matter into dispute with the credit card company, before I got an email from the General Manager stating that it was a "billing error - that he didn't fully understand".

What a shame that we now have to remember the hotel for all the wrong reasons.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2009

Just stayed here, and really enjoyed the workout room (small but very adequate), nice (clean) spacious rooms, with great beds. Free high speed internet a huge plus (the deciding factor over another hotel).

The staff was very helpful, and I had great interactions with them.

Only one problem: They don't have curtains that will block out the light! This means if your room is by a powerful streetlight (like mine is), you won't have a dark room - or if you want to take a nap when its light out, etc. Its the strangest thing!

Great hotel overall, will stay here again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Dulles Airport? Share your experiences!