“Great Park” 5 of 5 stars

Roanoke, Virginia, USA
9 attraction reviews
“Great Park”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

The state of Virginia has a place to be proud of. Clean, safe, enjoyable place to relax, fish, camp, walk, hike and ride bikes. The staff are very friendly and available.

I recommend this place to EVERYONE, young and old.

“Fantastic Get-Away!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Before a recent camping trip I was trying to decide if I wanted to go to Smith Mountain Lake State Park or Claytor Lake, so I turned to Trip Advisor.

Following the advice of other users, I went to Claytor Lake...and I was not disappointed!

I am a fan of Virginia State Parks in general, and this one just upped the ante. The lake itself is beautiful, the beach comfortable, and the camping sites plentiful. We stayed in July so it was hot out and the beach was packed...yet it did not seem like there was that many people there. They have a pier in the swimming area that you can dive off of.

The campsites were quite large and yet you didn't feel like you were on top of other sites. The bathrooms were cleaned every morning by staff and they also sprayed for bugs ensuring that unlike most campground bathrooms, you didn't have to worry so much about spiders and moths while using the facilities. They also have private shower rooms which is helpful with children.

Overall, Claytor lake was a great place to take the family camping and we will be going back.

Visited July 2012
italy
7 attraction reviews
“Quiet place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

This is a place where to spend a nice day making barbecue and watching around. I wouldn't swim in the lake, even if I saw other people doing that. However I enjoyed the day in one of the picnic areas around the water. The entrance fee, 3 or 4 $, is very modest.

Pulaski, Virginia, United States
7 attraction reviews
“Get a fish??”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Love the water...and the fishing. Caught over 150 pounds of cat fish. Can't wait to go again.

Mount Airy, North Carolina
12 attraction reviews
“A Pleasant Surprise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

I first visited this lake with a friend who lived in the area. I am not a lake person, but decided I'd give this a go. I was very pleased with what I found. The beach area is much like that of a true beach. The lake itself was very clean. I enjoyed the shopping area that sold snacks and drinks, as well as t-shirts and knick-knacks.