“Beautiful Southern Mansion” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
north carolina
“Beautiful Southern Mansion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

My Wife and I had booked a room at Rockwood Manor for Valentine. We were hit by the worst snowstorm in many years and were unable to make the trip. We called and changed our reservations to March for Wife's Birthday. Frank the owner of Rockwood was great to work with on the changes. On arrival at Rockwood we were given a tour and history of the house. The house is very large 17 fireplaces 10-12 very large bedrooms, almost all bedrooms are ensuite. We chose a room with power tub and separate shower, very nice large bathroom. Our host made us feel at home and like old friends. I have recommended Rockwood to several friends since our visit. We plan to return to enjoy all that Rockwood Manor has to offer.

Room Tip: We were in room 7 Blakemore Room, it was GREAT.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Roanoke
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

Nothing but love. Mama Sarah had me from hello and I never looked back from there.

History...beauty...peacefulness. They have done a wonderful job at keeping the virginia southern hospitality experience authentic and current bat the same time.

Truly a lovely place and family....Thank you for a much needed and lovely experience. Xoxo

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
oxford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Everything about rockwood manor is classy and charming. We were welcomed by "grandma" Sarah who instantly made us feel at home. Our room was the magill room and was beautiful. We had a view of the front lawn from the 3 windows and a lovely ensuite. Everything was spotlessly clean. It is so peaceful and relaxing at the manor. We enjoyed a delicious breakfast and met some lovely other guests. Frank and Rochelle were so welcoming too. My only regret is we only had 1 night here! I would return in a heartbeat!! Thanks the Drummond family for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed in the Blakemore room for a night and thoroughly enjoyed it. The house is a wonderful old manor, I spent a good half hour just walking around and photographing it. The Blakemore room is massive, with lovely bay windows overlooking the farm, and has a bathroom the size of my entire apartment at home. The manager Frank and his mother Sarah were a delight, incredibly warm and welcoming - just what we were hoping for when visiting Virginia. The place was wonderful, and the warmth of the hosts and their clear love of the property make this a highly recommended place to stay.

Room Tip: Blakemore room is very large, well lit, and has a spa bath
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I love looking at the beautiful architecture of the old southern homes in Virginia and was in for a treat when we stayed the night here. We were the only ones there that night and I was extremely lucky to have Sarah give me a personal tour of this wonderful house. The history of the house and the restoration they have done is remarkable. The grounds are great for walking around and relaxing. What a wonderful place for weddings or just a great place decompress from the hectic pace of this day and time.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Bell room and loved the tall big bed and was very close to coffee first thing in th...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Winchester, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We stayed here because hotels in the Blacksburg area were booked. This is one of the nicest places Mrs. Flyfisher and I have ever stayed. The owners are lovely people. Hearing their stories of their family, and Rockwood greatly added to our experience. The restoration of the mansion, its decoration, and the landscaping of the grounds were all well done. Breakfast and coffer were delicious. This will be our first choice for lodging when returning to Blacksburg!

Room Tip: Read the description on their website and call them if you have specific questions. It is a restore...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

I spent five days here over Memorial Day and had a wonderful time.

First, the grounds are beautifully maintained, spacious and perfectly representative of rural Virginia.

Second, the hospitality of the owners, Frank and Sarah, made me not only feel at home, but like I was visiting gracious family. Not only was my reservation upgraded free of charge, twice (allowing me to stay in the master suite), but Sarah also introduced me to several other guests whom then provided me tickets for a local theatre performance. Similarly, any question I had about the area was answered and I was given wonderful suggestions on where I might enjoy visiting.

Thirdly, the rooms were spacious, tastefully decorated and full of amenities.

Finally, breakfast in the morning delicious, varied and homemade.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Rockwood Manor? Share your experiences!