“Best Western at Paramount King's Dominion” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Kings Quarters

You added BEST WESTERN Kings Quarters to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Kings Quarters
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   16102 Theme Park Way, Interstate 95 and Route 30, Doswell, VA 23047-0100   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Doswell
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Best Western at Paramount King's Dominion”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2006

Despite the non-working room telephone, I enjoyed the ground floor courtyard room with a view of what must be a beautiful pool in the summertime. Although the desk person was not particularly full of good cheer when I checked in early on December 28th with a traveler coupon, she did place me in a preferred room facing the pool and away from the noise of the highway without my requesting it. Later, after I discovered that the phone did not work, the tech came to the room to try another telephone, but said that the problem was with the line and some of the lines in the motel did not work! Bummer, since I was expecting an important phone call and had no plans to use my cell phone minutes. Nonetheless, the desk clerk hand- delivered a phone message to me and offered to either move me to another room or discount my stay. I appreciated the personal attention to my situation.
I can say that for the price I paid I was satisfied, but if I were paying the summer price when a room for two with amusement park admission (Paramount's King's Dominion) is just shy of $200. with tax I would have been disturbed about the non- working telephone, the mildew on the bathroom tile grout, the lack of internet service in the room and the double size beds instead of queen size. Another issue-Doswell is a town without amenities, no grocery store for about 6 miles, just a 7-11 with inflated pricing. Buy your soda and chips before arriving if you want to economize.

• Liked — Quiet Room
  • Stayed December 2006
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Salemburg, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2006

My family and I took a trip to King's Dominion October 20-22. I had already booked my room before reading the reviews on this site. Once I actually read the reviews I was very afraid, but I had booked this room at an excellent rate so I decided not to cancel. Before my trip I went to the store and bought cleaning supplies (Clorox Wipes, Liquid Pulmr, etc...) because it is better to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. We did a late check-in and everything went smoothly. We went into the room and it was clean,but a little musty. I pulled out the anti-bacterial Febreeze and satutated everything. I also had the Febreeze air freshner as well. We then went to take showers and I noticed that the drain was really slow. After we finished I took out the Liquid Plumr and took care of that problem. I am a real stickler about clean toliets, so eventhough it didn't appear to need it I cleaned the toliet as well. I figured if I was going to stay here two nights, I was willing to do a little cleaning for my sanity. We tried to turn on the A/C unit because the room was stuffy, it stalled at first, but by the time we called the front deks it was fine. The next day we had to call the front desk because the toliet wouldn't flush. It took the maintenance guy three trips to fix. He wasn't a happy fellow. He seemed like he hated his job. We wanted to stay here b/c of the close proximity to King's Dominion and the shuttle. We never caught the shuttle because it was hit or miss. We were so close to the park it didn't even matter. I didn't eat at the Denny's, but the kids had breakfast there and loved it. Don't eat at the Pizza Hut in Ashland...disgusting. All in all it wasn't a bad place to stay if you are prepared.

• Liked — The price and the closeness to King's Dominion
  • Disliked — The shuttle not running on set schedules
  • Tips/Secrets — Take cleaning supplies just in case
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2006

This was a really nice hotel. Check-in went smoothly and the front desk was very nice and helpful. We drove around to our building and walked upstairs. I didn't see any elevators, so if you are handicapped or walking up stairs is difficult, I would be sure to specify a first floor room.

The room itself was very clean. Best of all, the beds were soft!! I don't know about anyone else, but I cannot stand a hard mattress. The bathrooms were very small. If you are a bigger person, you WILL have difficulty closing the bathroom door. My boyfriend and I are average size and we even had to move around the toilet to close the door. The only other complaint is the housekeepers must have been stingy on the soap. There was only one bar of soap in the room. We had to use it both for our hands after using the restroom and for washing ourselves the next morning (it was a one night stay so we didn't bother to bring our own).

Other than that, this hotel was very nice. There is a van that picks you up in front of the hotel and takes you over to the front gate of Kings Dominion. It also returns you back to the hotel in the evening. The driver told us that the vans runs until the last person is out of the park. However, if you prefer walking, this hotel is close enough that you just have to walk across the street to hit the back of the parking lot of Kings Dominion. It is very convenient if your main goal for your trip is to go to that amusement park. It's also nice to have on property dining to have breakfast the next morning (although the Denny's had skipped over our names while we were waiting for a table and then we heard a couple say they had been waiting an hour for their food so we did not stay. I don't blame that poor service on the hotel, however).

If you are looking to spend a long day at Kings Dominion or even a few days, I definitely recommend this hotel. We live two hours away and it was refreshing just to walk over to the room instead of getting in the car and driving home when we had been walking around all day and were exhausted.

• Liked — The convenience of being near Kings Dominion
  • Disliked — How small the bathrooms were
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring Soap!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
Timonium, MD
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2006

My boyfriend and I planned a trip to Paramount's Kings Dominion. I had been there in the past and knew that it was hard to get everything done in one day at the park on a weekend. So, we booked one night at kings quarters (which sits on the parks lot) to cover the park over a friday and saturday. The hotel boasts ammenities including a Denny's and Uno's on the property along with a pool, tiki bar, playground, ping pong and game room. When we arrived to the Best Western at 3:45pm after a long 3 hour drive, a quiet, safe, clean, hotel room was NOT waiting for us. Check in time is at 3pm. Even though we were there well past check in time, our room was not ready. There were at least 7 other people waiting to check in and only one person at the desk. Everyone else was having the same problem.... their room was NOT ready. After standing around and waiting for a while, we finally got keys and our room. We took our bags into the room. It was NOT what we had expected. The first thing I did was attempt to use the bathroom. When I walked in, there was TOILET PAPER ON THE SEAT AND HAIR IN THE TUB! I Immediately called front desk and they said they would send housekeeping again. We took our bags back out to the car and went on to the park for the rest of the day. When we came back, it was cleaned up. I was still skeptical about the tub and opted not to take a shower that night. We ordered a pizza from the Uno's (which was decent) and tried to go to sleep. The people in the room next to us were so loud and noisy that we had to turn the TV up really loud to hear it. They banged on the door that connected to our room. For a few hours, we heard tons of people running outside the rooms. It was very loud and noisy. In addition to that, the fact that the doors had 4 locks on them kinda scared me. I appreciate the effort to make the room safe, but at the same time, what could have possibly happened to warrant FOUR locks?!?!?! The next morning we figured we'd eat breakfast at the Denny's before we checked out and headed to the park. (that's another story, please see below.) The hotel offered a free shuttle service to the park and back. I can say without a doubt that the shuttle service was the best part of the trip. Both of our bus drivers on both days were very warm and friendly.

The Denny's on the property was also less than whelming. The service is less than turtle pace. I do understand that they were understaffed when we tried to get breakfast but it would have been nice for someone to at least acknowlegde our presence. We ended up NOT staying to eat but instead ordered carry out to enjoy elsewhere.

In a nut shell, I found the Best Western dirty, unsafe, overpriced (230 per night) and will NEVER GO BACK AGAIN!

• Liked — The free shuttle service to the park
  • Disliked — The cleanliness and safety
  • Tips/Secrets — don't stay there
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
ny,ny
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2006

The Best Western in Doswell shares its parking lot with Paramount Park Kings Dominion. We did walk across the parking lots to the admission gates and into the park.

The Best Western could be a great location, especially at the $200. a night room + taxes I paid but it isn't. If you visit during the daylight hours you see one perception and after nightfall a very different one. They have some nice amenities for a family to enjoy: a pool, tennis court, volley ball, ping pong, a playground, a small (for kids) mini golf round, Denny's and an UNOs but at night you fear for your safety due to the number of wild, unruly unsupervised youth running in gangs throughout the complex. They were very intimidating. The final straw for us was when two young girls (13 & 14) approached my family and asked if they could take cover with us for a few minutes so these thugs would would leave them alone. It was not clear if these thugs were locals or hotel guests.

The place seriously needs visable security . They owe that to their paying guests and it wasn't there, for $200 a night we should feel that we are relatively safe.

Also, I paid cash and although I requested it, I was never given a receipt.

We would never go back.

• Liked — proximity to theme park
  • Disliked — lack of security, lack of respect for paying guests
  • Tips/Secrets — stay away
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2006

I knew when I arrived that the place was not how the establishment describes itself. I had a two night stay and when we checked into our room after a day at Kings Dominion to our surprise the bathroom was nasty. The bathtub had visible dirt rings not to mention the rusted drain. Okay so I figured I could call housekeeping to clean it...Well that was a permanent stain. When my daughter took a shower she noticed the water rising up around her legs...the drain didn't work...it was clogged. Themaintence man give it a quick look and nothing else. Now to make matters totally worse...the air conditioner was broken and in 90 degree heat...I had to wait for the guy to come back and install another unit from another room.
At this point I decided that I didn't want to step foot in the tub so I chose to wash from the basin...the darn thing began leaking from the base and covered the countertop with water...I was thoroughly frustrated. I finally settled down for a few hours sleep. I went to use the coffee maker to make a cup of coffee...and the coffee packs they provided was chewed up like mice/rats had gotten to it...I was disgusted...My kids were grossed out....I will never patronize this place again..and I guess it's like some one else wrote...you get what you pay for...but for $96.00 +tax a night it could be a WHOLE lot better.

• Liked — Nothing...they didn't even have ice...now how bad is that in August
  • Disliked — It was broken down and nasty
  • Tips/Secrets — Carry disenfectant and cleanser...better yet stay somewere else
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2006

I have taken my daughter to Paramounts Kings Dominion in Doswell Va every August since she was 5 years old...she is now 25...this year I took my youngest daughters 14 and 16..they have never been before so to them this was a dream come true...I found that if the Hotel Management would go into the rooms at least once a week and clean the filters in the air conditioners they would work better..we cleaned ours out because the air was running non stop and was not even cool in our room...after cleaning the filters out we had it on low for the remainder of the weekend it was that cold in there...the pool had a oil floating on top...a greenish tint to it ...and the tiki bar played the same music over and over and over..the beer was hot...limited drinks..not to mention NO LIFEGUARD at all..kids were running, falling, and knocking into people (me). It was really close to the park which was great..we called for towels a few times and toilet tissue and within seconds they were at our door...Dennys was a bit slow for only having a few people in there and the food was overcooked but for the most part very convienent...overall NOT BAD!!

• Liked — so close to the theme park
  • Disliked — dennys food
  • Tips/Secrets — clean your air condition filters
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to BEST WESTERN Kings Quarters? Share your experiences!