“Wonderful Family Run Winery” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 10 Attractions in Delaplane
Type: Specialty Shops, Shopping
Warrenton, Virginia
6 attraction reviews
“Wonderful Family Run Winery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

With a light dusting of snow on the ground last Sunday afternoon, my husband and I headed out to visit a new winery. What a most pleasent surprise. Cobbler Mountain Cellars is, in my mind, exactly what a "farm winery" should be. The lady helping us with our wine tasting was knowledgeable and friendly. We had the opportunity to meet Jeff, the owner/winemaker also, He sat with us in their cozy tasting room under their home while we enjoyed fresh baked rolls, local cheeses and honey. This winery has a real future here in Fauquier County. The view is georgouse. There are quaint tables and chairs outside for relaxing and picnicing. Jeff has a firepit with comfy chairs. There is room for the kids to run and not disturbe other patrons. Jeff is adding to the vineyard this year. The farm has been in his wife's family for several years.

Visited January 2013

Front Royal, Virginia
28 attraction reviews
“Interesting experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We had gotten discount coupons online for the wine tasting experience. Overall it was a fun outing, and since I'm not a real wine afficinado, I'm not one to speak much about the wines. One of the whites - think it was the chardonnay - was OK. I really liked the sweet, after-dinner maple amber wine, but it is quite pricey. The reds tasted overly bitter/sour to me, but again I like sweet rather thay dry wines. The ride to get to this winery is fascinating, and in the spring I'm sure it would be gorgeous. This would be a nice stop if you were doing a day of winery visits, as there were at least 6 or 7 along the way. Be aware that there is a $9/person charge for the "basic" flight of wine tasting, and additional charges for the premium wines. We also got a box (for purchase) with cheese, bread and honey in it. Brought that home and had the cheeses, and they were quite good. Be careful carrying this box, however, because the honey is in a little cup with no lid. We were given the wine tasting goblets to bring home, which was nice (and good advertisement for the winery too).

Had it been a nicer day, sitting outside to take in the mountains and the view would have been enjoyable. The owners are quite welcoming and personable, and I'm glad we made plans to stop by.

Visited December 2012
Arlington, Virginia
9 attraction reviews
“Great wine!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

This is one of the first vineyards in a long time where i have enjoyed all the wines in the tasting. I'd highly suggest spending the extra $3 for thier desert wine tastings, which are two wines made from maple syrup. The hard cider is made with crisp granny smiths. Yum! Jess was our pourer and had excellent knowledge for the wines and what to pari with them, and even what recipes to use them for. We recieved a boxed bread and cheese set and had a glass of wine out in the lawn, with a great view. Then we took a quick hike along thier mountain path.

I would love to give this place 5 stars, however, I went here with a Washington Deals (a Goupon type deal). Without it, the trip would have been rather pricey. The wines are some of the most expensive I've seen (per bottle, the lowest starting at $24), compared to many other vineyards in the MD/VA area. Reguardless- go have yourself a glass a wine and enjoy the view.

Visited November 2012
Springfield, VA
19 attraction reviews
“This has potential.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We recently redeemed a Living Social Coupon at Cobbler Mountain Cellars. It is back a gravel road, but the signs were good pointing us in the direction. GPS lists the address as Hume, VA rather than Delaplane, but also got us there. The tasting room of this winery is in the unfinished basement of a home. It is decorated with a comfortable feel. It was busy as so many wineries are on a late Sunday afternoon. We waited for our tasting a bit, but had a nice experience with Jeff. The wines are young on the taste. We liked the Chardonnay best of what we tasted. Some of the reds seemed that they could be good with some age. The prices are very expensive though compared to other wineries nearby. I know this can be a problem with small wineries, coming up with a competitive price that will still make a profit. Of the wineries in Delaplane, we think Delaplane Cellars has better wine and is slightly less expensive. We would certainly be interested in revisiting this winery in the future after some aging. The Living Social box was very clever. I appreciate wineries that offer a taste of other products from nearby business. We enjoyed 4 kinds of cheese, bread and honey.

Visited November 2012
Virginia
3 attraction reviews
“Step back in time for some great wine!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

What a beautiful winery! It's "over the river and through the woods" but definitely worth the trip. The wine is really outstanding and the setting is very relaxing! Ask about their bottle recycling program, you will be glad you did.