“Minor issues” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Dahlgren
Hamilton, New Jersey
“Minor issues”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

The layout of this hotel is all wrong.
Guest have to go through the lobby to enter the pool area. Because of a mistake with the booking several people in our group lost their reservations for the second day and had to go to another hotel for the second night.
Several rooms did not have the microwave or refrigerator. When I asked the front desk about the microwave and refigertor. I was told not all rooms have them. (all rooms are priced the same)
The hotel could have been better considering there are two other hotels within five miles.

Other then the minor issues this hotel is not bad and we will stay here again.

This hotel does not have a restaurant. But you can order pizza and there are restaurant about a mile away.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor are better. try to get a suite with a king bed and pull out sofabed.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
GMKingGeorge, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dahlgren, responded to this review, July 22, 2012
I appreciate very much your quick feedback. I am sorry that you lost your reservation for the second day. We have a 24 hours cancellation policy which means we run your credit card for first night within 24 hours of your arrival to hold your room for guaranteed late arrival. Unfortunately all the reservations for that particular day with declined / expired credit cards are cancelled. The reason we do not have a restaurant because we are Holiday Inn Express. we are limited service and just serve a complimentary full hot breakfast. The brand Holiday Inn is full service and they have restaurants and bars. I am also thrilled to let you know that now our every single room has microwave and fridge. I am glad that you still plan to come back and I look forward seeing you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Frederick, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

This was the worst Hotel I have ever stayed in. Being a military child,I have stayed in quite a lot of hotels. (And I will admit some were rather bad.) But none of them compare to this one.

I showed up for check in an hour and a half early and was told to come back at 2 and my room would be ready. I agreed and headed out to see some nearby family. I showed back up at 2:50, and was told my room still wasn't ready. Ok. I understand things take awhile and I'm early.
The GM (I assume, ) told me to take a seat and he'll let me know when my room is ready.
I go get my things and take a seat in the lobby.
Instead of walking over to get my attention, he yells across the lobby. Uhm, excuse me?
Next, he checks us in ( With my boyfriend.) and we head to our room, right next to the front desk. Literally, right next to the front desk. The main issue was that I do NOT like to stay on the ground floor in hotels. just creeps me out.
Uh...we asked to be moved. He told us no, all the other rooms were taken. We were the first ones here to check in...you can't move us?
Fine. We go back to the room. After looking around, the curtains has holes in them, or should I say slits? As in, someone cut a slit in about 3 different sections of the curtains. WHAT? Curtains don't close all the way. WHAT? Ask to be moved. Told no.

Fine.
Have no where else to go and the hotel is already paid for.
We get back in the room, there is a sign THUMBTACKED on the bathroom door explaining the smoke alarm is very sensitive..and to be careful when showering and smoking so you don't set it off. This is supposed to be a smoking room. I should be able to smoke as much as I want and not worry about that. Oh and BTW smoke rises, always put smoking rooms on the top floor-that way it doesn't get into your other rooms. Not to mention thumbtacks would be very dangerous should I have brought a child. That can not be up to standards.

Ask to be moved. Told No. Again.
FINE.
At this point the manager starts to ask if I'm going to throw a party to which I reply no. He then says, ""Well you're next to the front desk-so we'll know if you do." are you kidding me?!?

The next morning: 6AM, banging from the wall next to the bed apparently thats where the kitchen is and the kitchen staff is not happy and slamming cabinets. Really? are you aware there are guests in the room next to you? 7AM: Vacuuming in the hallway. REALLY? ARE YOU NOT ALLOWED TO SLEEP HERE? 9 AM: We go out to have some breakfast, which I will admit had a nice selection and we enjoyed that there was real food. (eggs, sausage ect.)
The manager follows us around, stares at us as we eat and glares at my boyfriend. WHAT THE HELL?

At this point, we check out and leave, I didn't say anything to the manager about the stay I did not want to be rude.
The General Manager refused to tell hotels.com to give me my money back. So I had no choice but to call the corporate office. So I called their corporate office. After 4 days of calling, I will get only 50$ back of the 116 that I spent- because I booked through a 3rd party and Holiday Inn can't be sure about what I paid.
Fine. Better than nothing.

All in all this was horrible.
Do yourself a favor and steer clear.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. Go anywhere else.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
GMKingGeorge, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dahlgren, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
I am sorry to hear that you did not have a great stay with us. Our record shows that you booked a handicapped accessible smoking room. Most of the hotels have handicapped accessible rooms on the ground floor toward the front. Different guests book different room types according to their needs and on a sold out day unfortunately it was not possible for the front desk to give you someone else room toward the back of the hotel.
Our front desk is well trained to resolve most the guest issues if they are brought to the front desk's attention, unfortunately front desk did not hear any other concern from you except the request for the room toward the back of the hotel. We still appreciate your feedback and we hope that you will continue staying with holiday inn hotels in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Dahlgren hotels

Stafford, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

One might think that with the lack of competition close by, this hotel would be average at best. However, we have stayed here three times in two years and the property and service have always been great. You can choose from a variety of rooms (once we were upgraded to a Jacuzzi room). The bed and furnishings are up to date and the cleanliness is seldom ever duplicated. The staff are pleasant and efficient. They make you feel like you are welcome and that they appreciate your business. One tip: There aren't many good restaurants close by, but if you don't mind driving about 8 miles, you can find many good choices at Colonial Beach.

Room Tip: King suites are very spacious and comfortable
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
GMKingGeorge, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dahlgren, responded to this review, May 31, 2012
Thank you so much for your beautiful comments. Your comments / feedback mean a lot to us. We are sorry to hear that you could not find any good restaurant in the town. The fact is there are atleast five more good restaurants opened up within the last two years. We always get great comments from our guests about these new italian, indian, maxican, chinese and seafood places. We will love to guide you to these places whenever you come tback to Dahlgren. We thank you again for your feedback and look forward to see you in the near future.
Madrid, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

Other than having no lift/elevator for the 2nd floor (not very normal for a hotel where luggage is not what one wants to move up and down a flight of stairs) everything was fine with this hotel, very good quality for price for large rooms, great beds, spacious and comfortable bathroom, all the required amenities. But above all a truly exceptional lady at check-in - what a pleasure to run into someone so efficient, smart and helpful, well above the usual experience with hotel staff even while most tend to do reasonably well with customers. She was head and shoulders above anyone else I can remember - hats off. Would return without hesitation just for the guarantee of such service.

Room Tip: If you have any luggage, make sure you ask for a 1st(ground) floor room even if 2nd usually feels sa...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
GMKingGeorge, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dahlgren, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
We greatly appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your stay. I'm glad your stay here with us has been enjoyable. Your feedback means a lot to us I will let our staff member know that how grateful you are for her outstanding service. Our all the staff members are well trained and been in hospitality industry for more than a decade. They absolutely know the importance of exceptional service. You will be glad to know that we are working to bring a new elevator in the building this year. Hopefully next time when you come in you will not have to worry about luggage taking up and down. We thank you and hope to see you again in the future.
Walsall
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

I came to Dahlgren for business after several years. The town has changed tremendouly so is Holiday Inn Express.
I believe front desk mentioned they got renovated last year. There is a brand new walmart and a university across the street. I remember when I was here last time there were couple of restaurants in the town, now you have plenty of good restaurants in Dahlgren. My king suite was a complete turn around as far as I remember. Two flat screen tvs, new lights, new furniture etc. Staff has always been great here. Hot breakfast was so delicious. I will definitely stay here whenever I come back to Dahlgren.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
GMKingGeorge, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dahlgren, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
We greatly appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your stay. I'm glad your stay here with us has been enjoyable. We got a total renovation last year. Now our all the rooms have a great modern look especially our spacious king suites with two tvs are nicer than ever. Your feedback means a lot to us, we thank you and hope to see you again in the future. Thank you.
Aberdeen, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

Contrary to posted reviews, I found this HI very good. Convenient to where i needed to go, close to restaurants, very affordable, friendly staff, clean. OK the internet could be better but it was not a show stopper.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
patanga, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dahlgren, responded to this review, March 7, 2012
Dear Noblehouse 47, thank you very much for taking time to let us know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our guests feedback is very important to us. I am glad that you liked our location being next to walmart and all the best retaurants in the town. I am sorry to hear that our internet was little slow I would like to let you know that we just added another 30 mbps internet line to improve the speed. Thank you again for your stay and I hope you stay with us whenvere you come back to Dahlgren.
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

One of only two hotels in area along the main road. The place is rather old but upgraded over the years. I was initially given room 130 which is the only room with a Jacuzzi tub in the living area. Lots of mirrors along the Jacuzzi as well. If I wasn't here on business, I probably wouldn't have mind but it was not conducive for the reason why I was in Dahlgren.

I was moved to another room that a bit nicer but it reeked of cigarette smoke which permeated my clothes after a few days. I believe the room was recently changed to non-smoking but they should have changed the carpets or something.

Liked the free breakfest in the morning which was plentiful. There is a new Super Walmart across the street which will provide more eating options in a town devoid of quality restaurants or night life.

Room Tip: Honeymooners/Couples Check Out Room 130!!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Express Dahlgren? Share your experiences!