“Comfortable and roomy” 5 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Dahlgren
“Comfortable and roomy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2014

It's a small hotel. I guess I have stayed in almost 10 different rooms in last two years. Small lobby (comparing to hampton right beside) but rooms are big. I was surprised to know that this is 27 years old property. Looks like brand new. Parking lot was horrible but they were working on it.

Basically nothing special but the amenities are plenty and it is comfortable. Specially feel safe here as there are around 25 navy soldiers are staying there for like 2 months.

If u r comparing this property with Hyatt and Marriott, u may be disappointed. But with free breakfast internet pool - this is a way cleaner and friendlier hotel than many others.

Stayed August 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Roanoke, Virginia, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

I read the review of the folks who had a terrible time back in early July, and I feel sorry for them. I had no such problems. I was on the first floor. Maybe I was given a better room because I made the reservation via the Choice Hotels website and am a Choice Elite (soon to be "Platinum") member? Don't know. But see my recommendations/advice below.
This motel was in a fairly good location for my golf trip to the Swan Point GC across the Potomac in Issue, Maryland. {Note: the Route 301 bridge is free going north into Maryland, but costs (at least) $6 heading south into Virginia} They had a pool and breakfast area. However, as with most Choice lodgings that are not new, there is no microwave in the breakfast area. Which irritates me no end. lol The TV selections were pretty good. My room did have a microwave and fridge. The bed and bathroom were fine. Room was quiet, although I was away for most of the day that I spent there (I stayed there for two nights). See below for more on that.

Room Tip: First, make a reservation on the choicehotels.com website. Put there your preferences, such as "...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Spartanburg, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

We requested a non smoking hall. When we came up the stairs the smell of smoke hit us in the face. After complaining about the smoke for 30 minutes an employee started to spray air fresher in the hall. The air in our room was broke, so we were moved to another room and in this room the refrigerator did not work. They had to switch it out. My husband spoke with the manager about a discount due to all these problems we were encountering. The manager refused because we were leaving a day early due to death in the family. Family members down the hall also had a smoke alarm to continuously go off during the night. They also had to be moved to another room. Also no elevator.

Room Tip: If someone in your family cannot climb stairs then this is not for you unless you are on the first f...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

My husband and I absolutely loved this hotel, from start to finish. We drove up from Savannah, GA within the first few days of the year, arrived late and cold, and were checked in in under three minutes despite not having a reservation. Staff was very polite and friendly despite my inability to process what they were saying (it was late, I was tired, and I had to have them repeat a thing or two for me because I was not tracking at all), and even told us how to get to our room quickest so we didn't have to look for signs or count room numbers. They continued to wow us the next day, when due to Navy shenanigans we had to check out for about an hour and then check back in way earlier than posted check in time (and let us keep our original room) and on a different credit card! Awesome crew, all around, and we really appreciated the directions to local points of interest and the pamphlets for some slightly farther out entertainment options just outside of the lobby. The gal at the front desk was also incredibly, wonderfully clear and helpful and sweet when I asked about rate differences between seasons and points programs.

The room was fantastic, clean, well-lit, no unpleasant odors, and had better amenities than many hotels far above its price bracket (Hyatt Regency Savannah, I'm looking at you). Plenty of room to stretch out, comfortable bed, sturdy desk, plush recliner, lots of lamps to get light where it was needed, decently sized minifridge, microwave, and the tv was both easy enough to hook up to and big enough that my husband ended up playing his PS3 via HDMI connection for a fair portion of the night. Bathroom was clean and well-stocked, and it was pretty awesome to see the signs about having toiletries available in case of travel loss incidents. The only real note of anything that isn't shining approval is that a power strip or two secreted somewhere might be a good idea for guest electronic devices. Big room, lots of space, but that also means that lamps and things needed the plugs as much as we did. :)

We didn't use the exercise or recreation facilities due to cold and lack of preparation on our parts, but we did poke in to check them out for later stays and they're pretty neat. Breakfast was way better than expected and offered hot and cold options including eggs, sausage, bagels, coffee, pastries, frsh fruit, juice, and a slew of other things. Satisfied even my picky eater of a husband. :)

In terms of convenience, this location is about as good as you can get. It's right across the road from a Wal-Mart and small shopping plaza and there's another plaza within walking distance on the same side of the road (with two restaurants we're itching to try next time). It's also right down the road from the Dahlgren naval base (from hotel to base is a five minute drive or so), multiple historic and tourist destinations, and more food options.

All in all, we had a great time and very much approve of this location. So much so that you can bet that it'll be the only place I'll be staying when I trek up from Georgia to visit my sailor. <3

Room Tip: No visible elevators, so older or less active travelers or those with more baggage might want to req...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Comfort_Inn_Dahlgren, General Manager at Comfort Inn Dahlgren, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
First of all, I would like to thank you very much for taking the time out of your schedule to provide us the feedback about your stay.

I am happy to know that you enjoyed your stay and have shared your feedback with my colleagues. Reviews like this really motivate our team. At Comfort Inn Dahlgren, Our goal is not only to meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations.

We are already in the process of adding several outlets in the rooms. However, as far as your next trip is concerned, we will have extra power strips at the front office for you to keep in the room.

Chesapeake, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed at this hotel whie visiting relatives on the naval base. The beds where comfortable, room clean and quiet. Staff was friendly! There was a microwave and fridge in room. It was very nice for the price! We will stay here again!

Room Tip: Walmart and 5 guys burgers accross the street!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Comfort_Inn_Dahlgren, General Manager at Comfort Inn Dahlgren, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
We would like to thank you very much for taking the time out of your schedule to provide us the feedback about your stay.

Reviews like this really motivate our team. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at Comfort Inn Dahlgren. Our goal is not only to meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations.

NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Basic amenities, clean, and a "decent" breakfast included. Eggs/Bacon/Waffles/Bagels/etc.
Rooms with refrigerator and a huge walmart super center across the street. Very close to the Potomac River. No elevator so lots of baggage- book first floor

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Comfort_Inn_Dahlgren, General Manager at Comfort Inn Dahlgren, responded to this review, August 5, 2013

Reviews like this really motivate our team. We are glad that you enjoyed your long term stay at Comfort Inn Dahlgren. Our goal is not only to meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations.

Salisbury, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I booked this Comfort Inn for our last night of a two weeks on the road vacation because of the location. There were plusses and minuses here, but the plusses win.

Minuses first: the room really needs another electrical outlet near the desk. Also, if you're travelling with much luggage, ask for a first floor room (there's no elevator).

Plusses: VERY helpful desk staff. When she saw that we were hauling all the stuff that two weeks on the road seems to require, she immediately volunteered so shuffle reservations so we were on the first floor. Much appreciated! Secondly, she referred us to an excellend Indian restaurant (not something you expect to find in a place like this, but one of the better ones I've eaten in).

The room was spacious and quiet. Everything worked. It was clean and the beds were comfortable. We would certainly stay here again if in the area.

Room Tip: As noted above, ask for the first floor if you have a lot of stuff to carry. There's no elevato...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

We have already added 3 extra electrical outlets in each room after reading your review. Elevator is always in our plans and we are currently working on it.

We hope to be of service to you in the future.

Been to Comfort Inn Dahlgren? Share your experiences!