“Nice people, nice sheets; no mini-fridge, pricier, items missing” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Culpeper
Center Valley, PA
“Nice people, nice sheets; no mini-fridge, pricier, items missing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed here for one night in June 2013 while en route back from vacation. We very often stay at Microtels, but this one was $15 or so more expensive per night than others. It is conveniently located, right off route 15/29.
The receptionist at the desk was extremely friendly and got us checked in quickly.
We went up to our room (318) and discovered it had no mini-fridge. I think this is the first time we have ever stayed in a Microtel and been without a mini-fridge. When we went back down to ask the receptionist if there were other rooms with a mini-fridge, the reply (delivered in a very friendly and apologetic manner) was that only suites come with mini-fridges. We had frozen food in a cooler with us and expressed our concern. She offered to put in in the office fridge and that sufficed. It meant our ice blocks did not get refrozen, however, and we are a bit concerned about how well our frozen goods did on the 6 hour drive home the next day.
The bed had a soft mattress, while I have a bad back and need a firm mattress (as I requested in my reservation). So we had to use the portable, folding bedboard I take everywhere (just in case). My wife comments that the sheets at Microtels are wonderful and this place was no exception there.
The room seemed a little bit worse for the wear, however. There were some scuff marks on the walls and a chip in the bathtub. Further, the room smelled HEAVILY of some sort of freshener. That smell did not fade in our one night there.
While the bathroom provided three bars of soap, there was no shampoo. There was no dirty clothes bag in the closet (unlike every other hotel I have stayed in). The icemaker on the third floor wasn't working (or at least gave no ice at 7:30 in the morning when we tried).
So, location gets 3.5, price gets 2.5, staff gets 4, room gets 2. Overall 3.
We might stay here again, but it is more likely we would look elsewhere first. In fact, there's a GREAT Holiday Inn Express in Orange that we would have chosen, but it was booked up the night we needed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Yorktown, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stayed here June 15. Walls were marked up and dirty. Bathroom floor was wet from running toilet and bathtub was moldy in corners. No soda machines on premises (they were replacing them soon). Dog in room next door started barking at 6AM which was very unpleasant. We did get in at 9:45PM so we decided to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Recommend looking across the street at the Holiday Inn Express or the Best Western. I've not stayed at either, but their reviews are far better than the Microtel Inn & Suites. The reviews of this hotel appear to be accurate--this is not a well run or maintained hotel. Beginning with the room, the pillows are old, worn out, and uncomfortable. There are numerous stains on the carpet and the upholstered furniture, and the walls are marked up everywhere. There is plenty of mold under the rim of the toilet, and while they provide soap, they do not provide shampoo in the room. This may seem like a minor thing, but since I flew from the west coast, I do not carry unnecessary liquids on airplanes--I never carry shampoo because it's typically available in hotel rooms. The first morning after my stay, the coffee maker in the lobby did not work. Finally, the walls are incredibly thin--two nights in a row I could hear the entire phone conversation of the guy in the next room. I travel to Culpeper on business once every three months and will never stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose a room across the street at the Holiday Inn Express or Best Western
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hopewell
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Observation: The rooms (I've stayed here three times) are a bit on the shabby side, and could use some repainting and touch up. Upholstery on chairs and sofa stained. Having said that, I had a suite for a special rate $70 each time, and for that price my expectations were more than met. I will stay here again, and at other Microtels in the future.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Culpeper? Share your experiences!