“Good Austrian-influenced food” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Good Austrian-influenced food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

This restaurant was recommended to us on the basis that as well as being good, it is one of the few currently open in Culpeper on a Monday evening.

We found the menu interesting and the food had character. This is certainly influenced by the Austrian chef.

We started off sharing the bison sausage. My main was a catfish special which came on a bed of salad (I'm not always the biggest salad fan but it didn't disappoint); my wife had the Sauerbraten, which she thought came as a good sized portion and the marinade complemented the meat well.

The service was friendly and while it wasn't the fastest you don't expect to rush through this quality of food; indeed the waitress offered, and we accepted a short break between the main and dessert, which just enabled my wife to squeeze in an apple dumpling.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Arlington, Virginia
“Excellent and creative cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

This is my 3rd time at the Hazel River Inn (restaurant, not the pub) in Culpeper, Va. All three visits I have been pleseantly surprised with a delicious and creative cuisine. This is not "fussy" or "pretentious" cuisine but overall flavorful and well presented. Today I had the pasta primavera which had the perfect balance of sauce with a colorful and well- textured grilled vegetables. When the dish arrived, it was really colorfull which I normally don't expect with pasta primavera. Great dish. My Brother had the seafood crepes and although I am a vegetarian, I did take a bite of the crepe which was very good. He loved the dish and commented on its well balanced flavor and seafood mixture. My travel companion is a chef at a restaurant in Richmond an he had the Carfish special. The catfish was light and crispy on the outside and fried perfectly. The sauce was also tangy and well paired with the catfish....much more flavorful than just a standard tarter sauce. We shared a desert of apple benneiets with cinnamon and vanilla and whipped cream....plate was cleaned by the three of us in quick order.

My brother had the local 3-12 ale which he claimed was flavorful and nice.

Overall it was a great meal and I would highly recommend the Hazel River Inn for lunch.

My only gripe was that last year when I was here they had a lovely soufflé for desert with three types of sauces. It was truly a delicious soufflé and I wish it was back on the menu chef!

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

I liked the fact it was in an historic building with very tasteful decor. The server was very friendly and engaging. The food was very tasty and well prepared; it was one of the best filet-mignons I had in ages. Only criticism, if it could be one, was I was on my third choice wine on the wine list as they were out of the others I wanted!

Visited June 2012
Bethesda, MD
“More smoke than satisfaction”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Okay average meal, nice service, interesting history. Not overwhelming.

Visited July 2012
Warrenton, VA
“We visit one a month”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

Food never lets you down -the menu is the chef's choosing but you have to trust the chef. Delicious, simple food with complex flavors. Bison, duck, lamb, seafood - perfectly seasoned and prepared. I had a filet mignon over a crispy potato cake that was out of this world.
Great crab soup and we love the dill butter that comes out with the bread. Skip dessert though - they are ok but can't compare to the main course. We live in Culpeper and have become regular customers.

Visited June 2012