“OK” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 hotels in Covington
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

Check in was slow but adequate. Traveled there on business so 4 of us took about 30 minutes to get our keys. No one else was ahead of us. One of my party had major disfunction with his room key and had to get another room. hour later he got a room. Room was clean although the bathroom could have used a little more attention to detail. clean towels. Small room. I stayed in a single king on the first floor and could hear footsteps in the room above me pretty vividly which, to me, is very annoying. but slept ok in a comfortable bed with 4 pillows. Housekeeping staff is very friendly. The guy that checked us in was still there at midnight and there in the morning, He was there in the afternoon after we returned from work and is still here! HMM.. Any way this place is OK but no places within walking distance for dinner, but, had some great restaurants available for delivery. OK place for a slow season if your looking for price. It was quiet and slept OK. the continental breakfast was below average. Do yourself and the local economy afavor walk down the street for a meal in the morning, your not going to miss the hotel breakfast savings at all.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

38 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Not sure what all the other reviews were about but I stayed in 102 for two nights when I was there, everything was tidy and neat. Room service came later in the afternoon instead of the usual 11am-12pm check out times. We stayed while all the paper factory contractors were out of town and only 3 other people stayed there.

The only bad about this place is the seemingly lackadaisical management style. Milk was expired for 11 days and breakfast was all pre-frozen microwaveable food. When I brought the milk to the attention of management who happened to be an Indian owner, he said, "You look like a tough guy, should be no problem." Not an apology offered nor any compensation given.

I'm an easy-going, low-maintenance type of person so from a room perspective it was cheap ($77 with military discount). Cheapest in the town of Covington. From a management perspective, horrible, I rather not deal with them. Just give me my room and leave me alone.

Oh, place is not pet friendly FYI. We had a dog with us, but if you get caught its a $250 fine.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Troy, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

The town is smelly (coal), and the room price is pretty high, but overall a pleasant stay. The location looked a bit sketchy, but we still felt safe. The rooms are comfortable (if a bit small) and the decor is nice. Breakfast was so-so, but better than nothing. A few extra amenities (pool, in room refrigerator) would have been nice, but it got the job done.

• Stayed September 2013
Moli K, Director of Sales at Quality Inn Covington, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Thank you.

We hope to serve you even better in the future.
Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed there this last weekend when I couldn't find a better hotel in the area. I originally chose this hotel because the reviews looked good and the pictures made it look good. The pictures give a false impression that the rooms are larger than they really are. The rate was >$100 and I don't believe it was worth it. The bathroom had a slight urine smell and a few flies like the ones you find in a gas station restroom. I will not stay in this hotel again. I would have rather paid the $170 for a better hotel on I-81. Along with the smell in the bathroom the ac unit blows directly on you in the bed. I did not get a good nights sleep due to this and the bed was not even a king sized bed, it was closer to a full. We arrived exhausted, around midnight or I would have complained.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

The beds were comfortable but the rooms were dirty. There were bugs in our room and in the breakfast room. Small cups of liquid throughout the breakfast room, to catch the buds?? Our bottle of conditioner was almost empty (no new bottle, really), hole in wall in the bathroom, clothing size sticker on bathroom door & dirt smears on several of the walls. Breakfast was slim picking if we would have eaten, we decided to go elsewhere because of the bugs. Good location but it needs some attention.

• Stayed June 2013
Haymarket, VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Overall, the hotel was filthy. Parking lot - dirty. Walk ways - dirty. Spilled coke, not swept in days. Garbage remained for the three days we were there. Staff said the trash was too heavy for them to carry... Housekeeping did not make up the rooms. Did not vacuum. Air conditioner was so noisy you couldn't sleep and so cold on the side of the bed that you either froze or fried. Breakfast was not worthy of being called that. Thank God for yogurt. They had glasses of bleach sitting around the dining area to catch the insects!?!?!?!?!?
Somebody needs to get to the place and clean house - staff, sidewalks, parking lot, rooms, trash, etc. One of the most poorly run hotels I have ever stayed in.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Virginia Beach, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We spent the last 2 evenings at the Covington Cork & Pork Festival and stayed here. Room was extremely small but not a problem. We checked in Fri afternoon. At 4:30 am Sat I made a pot of coffee but didn't get a chance to drink it. When we returned to the room Sat evening many things were not done by housekeeping: pot of coffee was still sitting there and coffee supplies not restocked, toilet not cleaned, bed covers were just thrown over the bed/pillows, soap or shampoo was not restocked (good thing I had brought my own). And one ply bathroom tissue? I didn't think such a thing was still made! I spoke to a young man at the check in desk, I asked to speak to the manager and was advised she would be in in the morning (Sunday) at 7am. The young man apologized and "appeared" to be writing down my concerns. When we went to check out at 8:30 this morning (Sunday) I asked to speak to Heather ( the manager) and was told that she was not in. The AC was so loud it sounded like a jet was landing in the room. And the breakfast bar was out of coffee... Very unhappy with this stay. When we return next year for the festival we will stay at Holiday inn Express.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Quality Inn Covington? Share your experiences!