“Dirty, nobody at desk after 11pm, a shambolic excuse for a hotel (and $90 paid for a room)” 1 of 5 stars
Review of America's Best Value Inn

Save Saved
You added America's Best Value Inn to your Saves list
America's Best Value Inn
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   908 Valley Ridge Rd, Covington, VA 24426-6348 (Formerly Covington Knights Inn)   |
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Covington
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

I have not written a review on this site before, but I have benefitted from many reviews from others, and so here is my effort to help my fellow travelers avoid an awful choice.

I should add that the reason I booked this hotel is that I was late on the road and had few options available to me at that time of night. This was the worst hotel I have stayed in in many years. We arrived late (11.30pm). There was no person at the front desk. There was a piece of wood covering the front desk area. A contact number on the desk rang out several times. Eventually, a Best Western employee answered the phone, explaining that after 11pm, guests need to travel up to the Best Western sister hotel for hotel room keys.

The room had chairs with several stains on them. There was debris on the carpet. There was a thin wooden door separating us from the adjacent room, and I could hear a person shuffling / pacing up and down in this neighboring room.

I paid $90 for the room. It is sad to say, but the management for this hotel have clearly abandoned any desire to provide value and cleanliness at this establishment. A shameful excuse for a hotel. Do not waste your money or time staying here.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Silver Spring, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

Hard to imagine a worse place to stay. Wasp nest in door, spider webs over bath tub, head board fell off wall at bedtime. Told it was nonsmoking, but rank odor and ash trays in room. If there was any other option (including camp ground) we could have stayed, we would have. I will never stay at an America's Best Value anywhere after this experience.

Room Tip: Chose a different hotel.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Sendai
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

I chose this to have 2 adjoining rooms and decent price. It was recommended by the Best Western nearby, (and breakfast for this place is at the Best Western). I was warned 'not fancy, but clean'. I would have been fine with that; just needed a comfortable place to sleep. It looked like floors had not been vacuumed, heat/air didn't work, and showers had dirt and hairs in it. Also, security lock broken off door and was laying on table in room. About 1/4 of toilet paper roll was in bathroom, with no spare. I advised of conditions at Check-out so they could fix for next guest. Got a half-hearted, "sorry, have a nice day". I understand they're planning to renovate, but I would recommend closing until complete. Providing pic... This is what I found when checking cabinet for toilet paper!

• Stayed February 2014
abvicovington, Guest Relations Manager at America's Best Value Inn, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear Guest,

I am extrememly sorry for the condition that ou found your room in and would like you to know that we have been working diligently to clean and maintain all of the rooms here at America's Best Value Inn! We hope on your next trip through Covington, VA, that you will give us another chance!

SIncerely,

Fredericksburg, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

I have come to realize that this ABVI facility is not the best of the bunch, as I have had some issues regarding room cleanliness and upkeep in the past which I have reported to building management, however, I was aghast at the conditions of the room that I entered on my most recent visit. I have only a few picture files that I am able to download with this form, but would tell you that after viewing the room, it was very evident that it had not been properly cleaned by the following problems:
Housekeeping Related Issues:
- Fridge was filthy with spilled matter inside.
- Chapstick container left on nightstand.
- Empty shampoo bottle in the shower stall.
- Unflushed toilet (urine) and dirty toilet top.
- Mirror on vanity and counter space was filthy.
- Tray containing coffee and ice bucket also filthy.
- Picture on wall had unexplainable matter splattered on it.
- Bedspread had solid wax on it in several places and bedding was stained.
- The desk had pizza sauce and cheese dried atop of it.
- Stains visible on the door and walls.
Upkeep Related Issues:
- Door has a space through which you can see inside of the room from the outside where a new lock was affixed, but poorly crafted (a cm sized circular hole). I have reported this in the past but nothing has been done.
- Stink-bugs (2) found in room.
- Holes were found in the walls that are not properly patched.
- The sink fixtures are both completely different.
- Poor WiFi (one bar) and a “tube” TV that was barely functional.
I did report the problem to the night hostess on duty who was apologetic and offered a different room. However, I had already cleaned the room to my satisfaction, as I have found similar problems in the facility to be hit and miss in the past – I just thought I would give it one last shot having brought the problems to the attention of management during previous stays – and to be as honest as possible, I felt more comfortable cleaning the room myself than leaving chancing another which would have sent me over the proverbial “edge”.
See all of the attached picture. My goal was not to go further with my complaint, but the company did NOTHING regarding rectification of the problem other than notify the site owner. It has been a month and I have heard nothing back - TRAVELER BEWARE!

Room Tip: Bring cleaning supplies!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest!

I am sorry that you experienced such disatisfaction with our room when you were our guest! We have been deeply cleaning all rooms in hopes that your next visit through Covngton, VA will be a pleasant on!

Gloucester, Virginia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Horrible stay. Bed bugs. Terrible customer service. You cannot imagine the effort to clean and eradicate your possession and the feeling of having bugs all over your body. Avoid like the plague. Terrible experience. manager and corporate would not help in any way and would not refund our money even through we were forced to find another hotel. Absolutely the worst hotel experience in my entire life.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We are so sorry for the inconviences that occurred to you during your stay here at our hotel! We can assure you that we have monthly exterminator visits.

springfield
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

there was actually dry animal food scattered on the "carpet" when we checked in!!!!!!!!!!!!!really!
we were treated to trucks passing thru the property most of the night - still don't understand the bizarre setup. road weary, we just kept our socks on (along w/ clothes, of course) and waited for morning hoping to get enough sleep to continue on our way. really didn't think places like this existed - isn't there a health department in Covington???????????????

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We are truely sorry for the inconviences that occured during your stay here at America's Best Value Inn. We have reviewed the housekeeping of our rooms and are ensuring that our housekeepers are cleaning the room properply by instituting a Double Check procedure for checking the rooms. We are unfortunate in the fact that we have no control over the busy truck lot located behind us.

Richmond, VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed here this past Friday night because I was too tired to complete our trip that evening. We had not planned on stopping in Covington and after our stay, I recommend you not stay in Covington either. We tried to get a room at the Holiday Inn but they wanted $149 for one night. Are you kidding??? So we ended up at the ABVI. This was just an average cheap room, however every place in the Covington area is SO over priced! After talking with the desk clerks, I am almost sure that there is one owner for 3 motels. This way they can keep the pricing up around town. This place was not so clean, not very comfortable, OVER PRICED and the shower curtain was "spoiled", as my wife describes it. The pillows were wore out and the sheets were as thin as could be without shredding and super wrinkled. The shower curtain had a terrible smell that when wet, made it almost unbearable to be in the shower. My wife could not use the shower because of the smell. I took a super fast shower and the smell was just terrible. I brought this to the desk clerk's attention when checking out and her response was, "It's so hard to get good help" and made no offer to knock a few bucks off the price of the room or anything else. We will not be staying in Covington again if at all possible and if we do, it will not be at this place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We have taken note of your complaint!

Cary L

Been to America's Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!