“Worst place I've ever stayed!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of America's Best Value Inn

Save Saved
You added America's Best Value Inn to your Saves list
America's Best Value Inn
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   908 Valley Ridge Rd, Covington, VA 24426-6348 (Formerly Covington Knights Inn)   |
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Covington
Sendai
“Worst place I've ever stayed!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

I chose this to have 2 adjoining rooms and decent price. It was recommended by the Best Western nearby, (and breakfast for this place is at the Best Western). I was warned 'not fancy, but clean'. I would have been fine with that; just needed a comfortable place to sleep. It looked like floors had not been vacuumed, heat/air didn't work, and showers had dirt and hairs in it. Also, security lock broken off door and was laying on table in room. About 1/4 of toilet paper roll was in bathroom, with no spare. I advised of conditions at Check-out so they could fix for next guest. Got a half-hearted, "sorry, have a nice day". I understand they're planning to renovate, but I would recommend closing until complete. Providing pic... This is what I found when checking cabinet for toilet paper!

• Stayed February 2014
abvicovington, Guest Relations Manager at America's Best Value Inn, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear Guest,

I am extrememly sorry for the condition that ou found your room in and would like you to know that we have been working diligently to clean and maintain all of the rooms here at America's Best Value Inn! We hope on your next trip through Covington, VA, that you will give us another chance!

SIncerely,

Cary L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Fredericksburg, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

I have come to realize that this ABVI facility is not the best of the bunch, as I have had some issues regarding room cleanliness and upkeep in the past which I have reported to building management, however, I was aghast at the conditions of the room that I entered on my most recent visit. I have only a few picture files that I am able to download with this form, but would tell you that after viewing the room, it was very evident that it had not been properly cleaned by the following problems:
Housekeeping Related Issues:
- Fridge was filthy with spilled matter inside.
- Chapstick container left on nightstand.
- Empty shampoo bottle in the shower stall.
- Unflushed toilet (urine) and dirty toilet top.
- Mirror on vanity and counter space was filthy.
- Tray containing coffee and ice bucket also filthy.
- Picture on wall had unexplainable matter splattered on it.
- Bedspread had solid wax on it in several places and bedding was stained.
- The desk had pizza sauce and cheese dried atop of it.
- Stains visible on the door and walls.
Upkeep Related Issues:
- Door has a space through which you can see inside of the room from the outside where a new lock was affixed, but poorly crafted (a cm sized circular hole). I have reported this in the past but nothing has been done.
- Stink-bugs (2) found in room.
- Holes were found in the walls that are not properly patched.
- The sink fixtures are both completely different.
- Poor WiFi (one bar) and a “tube” TV that was barely functional.
I did report the problem to the night hostess on duty who was apologetic and offered a different room. However, I had already cleaned the room to my satisfaction, as I have found similar problems in the facility to be hit and miss in the past – I just thought I would give it one last shot having brought the problems to the attention of management during previous stays – and to be as honest as possible, I felt more comfortable cleaning the room myself than leaving chancing another which would have sent me over the proverbial “edge”.
See all of the attached picture. My goal was not to go further with my complaint, but the company did NOTHING regarding rectification of the problem other than notify the site owner. It has been a month and I have heard nothing back - TRAVELER BEWARE!

Room Tip: Bring cleaning supplies!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest!

I am sorry that you experienced such disatisfaction with our room when you were our guest! We have been deeply cleaning all rooms in hopes that your next visit through Covngton, VA will be a pleasant on!

Gloucester, Virginia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Horrible stay. Bed bugs. Terrible customer service. You cannot imagine the effort to clean and eradicate your possession and the feeling of having bugs all over your body. Avoid like the plague. Terrible experience. manager and corporate would not help in any way and would not refund our money even through we were forced to find another hotel. Absolutely the worst hotel experience in my entire life.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We are so sorry for the inconviences that occurred to you during your stay here at our hotel! We can assure you that we have monthly exterminator visits.

springfield
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

there was actually dry animal food scattered on the "carpet" when we checked in!!!!!!!!!!!!!really!
we were treated to trucks passing thru the property most of the night - still don't understand the bizarre setup. road weary, we just kept our socks on (along w/ clothes, of course) and waited for morning hoping to get enough sleep to continue on our way. really didn't think places like this existed - isn't there a health department in Covington???????????????

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We are truely sorry for the inconviences that occured during your stay here at America's Best Value Inn. We have reviewed the housekeeping of our rooms and are ensuring that our housekeepers are cleaning the room properply by instituting a Double Check procedure for checking the rooms. We are unfortunate in the fact that we have no control over the busy truck lot located behind us.

Richmond, VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed here this past Friday night because I was too tired to complete our trip that evening. We had not planned on stopping in Covington and after our stay, I recommend you not stay in Covington either. We tried to get a room at the Holiday Inn but they wanted $149 for one night. Are you kidding??? So we ended up at the ABVI. This was just an average cheap room, however every place in the Covington area is SO over priced! After talking with the desk clerks, I am almost sure that there is one owner for 3 motels. This way they can keep the pricing up around town. This place was not so clean, not very comfortable, OVER PRICED and the shower curtain was "spoiled", as my wife describes it. The pillows were wore out and the sheets were as thin as could be without shredding and super wrinkled. The shower curtain had a terrible smell that when wet, made it almost unbearable to be in the shower. My wife could not use the shower because of the smell. I took a super fast shower and the smell was just terrible. I brought this to the desk clerk's attention when checking out and her response was, "It's so hard to get good help" and made no offer to knock a few bucks off the price of the room or anything else. We will not be staying in Covington again if at all possible and if we do, it will not be at this place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We have taken note of your complaint!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed here for the Greenbrier Classic golf tournament. We should have stayed in Beckley and driven the extra miles. They gouged us for $124.00 tax and all for a room that would go for $29.00/night, or maybe even 10.00/hour. It is musty, the towels were worn completely out with some staining so we went to Kmart and bought some. The commode seat is broken, we had no maid service on Saturday until 7:00 at night. The coffee pot was molded when we got there and was never cleaned the whole week.The wallpaper is coming off the walls in the bathroom. I'm not sure when those pictures shown online were taken, but it wasn't this decade. This place is not worth it at any price. Keep going. The back seat has to be better, and it certainly is cheaper.

Dave
Marietta, Oh

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Guest,

We have taken notice to your complaint and are working to remedy the situations you encountered! I do assure you, that we do have one of the lowest prices during the PGA event each year!

Chesapeake, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I stayed here on the 3rd of July. Checked in about 9pm. The room smelled, the bed smelled - as well as the pillows..ect.
The next morning when I went to check out, I told the lady that I was displeased with the room. She informed me she could not help me. I asked if the normal rate was $129.. She informed me no- they raise the rates the first week of July because of the PGA- which was being held @ The Greenbrier, 42 miles away. Normal rate is $79.00 . I told her the room was not a $129.00 room. She told me I could talk to the manager at the Best Western. I guess he has several he manages in Convington. Mind you I was not there for the PGA- the hotel was not booked up., I was on my way to see my dad. I went to the Beat Western, the lady at the desk told me there was nothing she could do, but the manager would be in about 1:30., I told her I would call beck. I did, he was not in, she took my name & number, he never called. I called back the next day, still no manager. I called again, I was informed he was at the Pizza place I could call him there. I did, was told to call back. I did - still no manager. Now I don't mind playing for a room when I travel. This was not worth it. If you stay there be prepaired -

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We are sorry for the inconveniences during your stay and have noted the areas for improvement!

Cary L

Been to America's Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!