“WAY overpriced and not clean.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of America's Best Value Inn

Save Saved
You added America's Best Value Inn to your Saves list
America's Best Value Inn
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   908 Valley Ridge Rd, Covington, VA 24426-6348 (Formerly Covington Knights Inn)   |
Ranked #5 of 5 hotels in Covington
Richmond, VA
“WAY overpriced and not clean.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed here this past Friday night because I was too tired to complete our trip that evening. We had not planned on stopping in Covington and after our stay, I recommend you not stay in Covington either. We tried to get a room at the Holiday Inn but they wanted $149 for one night. Are you kidding??? So we ended up at the ABVI. This was just an average cheap room, however every place in the Covington area is SO over priced! After talking with the desk clerks, I am almost sure that there is one owner for 3 motels. This way they can keep the pricing up around town. This place was not so clean, not very comfortable, OVER PRICED and the shower curtain was "spoiled", as my wife describes it. The pillows were wore out and the sheets were as thin as could be without shredding and super wrinkled. The shower curtain had a terrible smell that when wet, made it almost unbearable to be in the shower. My wife could not use the shower because of the smell. I took a super fast shower and the smell was just terrible. I brought this to the desk clerk's attention when checking out and her response was, "It's so hard to get good help" and made no offer to knock a few bucks off the price of the room or anything else. We will not be staying in Covington again if at all possible and if we do, it will not be at this place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

17 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed here for the Greenbrier Classic golf tournament. We should have stayed in Beckley and driven the extra miles. They gouged us for $124.00 tax and all for a room that would go for $29.00/night, or maybe even 10.00/hour. It is musty, the towels were worn completely out with some staining so we went to Kmart and bought some. The commode seat is broken, we had no maid service on Saturday until 7:00 at night. The coffee pot was molded when we got there and was never cleaned the whole week.The wallpaper is coming off the walls in the bathroom. I'm not sure when those pictures shown online were taken, but it wasn't this decade. This place is not worth it at any price. Keep going. The back seat has to be better, and it certainly is cheaper.

Dave
Marietta, Oh

• Stayed July 2013
Chesapeake, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I stayed here on the 3rd of July. Checked in about 9pm. The room smelled, the bed smelled - as well as the pillows..ect.
The next morning when I went to check out, I told the lady that I was displeased with the room. She informed me she could not help me. I asked if the normal rate was $129.. She informed me no- they raise the rates the first week of July because of the PGA- which was being held @ The Greenbrier, 42 miles away. Normal rate is $79.00 . I told her the room was not a $129.00 room. She told me I could talk to the manager at the Best Western. I guess he has several he manages in Convington. Mind you I was not there for the PGA- the hotel was not booked up., I was on my way to see my dad. I went to the Beat Western, the lady at the desk told me there was nothing she could do, but the manager would be in about 1:30., I told her I would call beck. I did, he was not in, she took my name & number, he never called. I called back the next day, still no manager. I called again, I was informed he was at the Pizza place I could call him there. I did, was told to call back. I did - still no manager. Now I don't mind playing for a room when I travel. This was not worth it. If you stay there be prepaired -

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Millbrook, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Upon arrival there was no one at the front desk and we had to wait for several minutes. The woman, who was very pleasant, gave us a room that would not be exposed to the road traffic. The room was in good condition, clean and spacious with plenty of towels and soap. There is no restaurant on site but a voucher for breakfast, up the road at Best Western, is provided. (Do not eat at the restaurant next door.) We had to use the lobby computer at Best Western as there was none available at Best Value.

Room Tip: This was not a busy motel so there should be a room set back from the road.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Fenton, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

This place was a bit worn but it was clean,safe, and quiet. I ask for a non smoking room and their was no hint of smoking. It was a bit expensive but it was due to the mountain area. It was not difficult to find and a free breakfast at Best Western

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

The Best Western was full and they recommended this place. We should have kept going. Staff was nice, room was old, musty, linens and towels were old. I guess the room was as clean as it could be for as old as it was. The tub faucets were away from the wall with oversized holes, the door between the two rooms was flimsy and locks were not very supportive. IT WAS WAY,WAY OVER PRICED for the accommodations. Should have been $50 a night instead of $91.38. Never again, no matter what time or how tired, we will keep driving.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

There's not much good to say about this hotel. The photos available online must be very old, the rooms are not as clean and neat as the photos. I had a non-smoking room that smelled like it had been smoked in for 10 years. Everything just looked old and dirty. The towels were pretty worn out and a few of them had stains on them. There was no soap or shampoo in the room. The free breakfast they advertise is not even on site, it is down the street at the Best Western that is operated by the same management company. Best advice, stay anywhere else in town if possible, they can't possibly be any worse.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to America's Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!