“A 5 star hotel in a 1 star town . . . .” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #2 of 5 hotels in Covington
Atlanta
“A 5 star hotel in a 1 star town . . . .”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Ok, obviously this is not a 5 star hotel! However in light of the area and your options, this is a must stay. Most people are coming here on business. The paper mill in town is one of the few reasons this town still exists. Rooms are clean, the hotel staff is friendly, although they seem understaffed. This is a very beautiful area and walking out of the front door in the morning after a good nights sleep to see the mountains in the morning mist and fog is refreshing. The hotel staff puts out chocolate cookies each night, but you gotta get 'em quick! There is a pool at this location. As far as restaurants there is a new locally owned sports bar right down the road. Fairly convenient acces to I-64. If you come to the area you should stay here.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

51 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
new york
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Took to long to check inn, their wasn't anyone at the desk, had to wait about 20 mins. The sheets in the bed had blood stains and their were no towels when i want in the room. It took them about and hour after i called it in for towels at front desk and the breakfast was cold. So i check out and want to the hotel in downtown!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Covington hotels

Covington, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

After the derecho came through covington, my sick, diabetic mother lasted five days in 100 degree heat without power. On day six, she needed a room. When my father called, he was told a room would be 269.99 per night.

Stayed July 2012
Lockport, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

In late April, I was sent on a week long trip to the western part of Virginia to attend a conference at the Homestead (about 45 minutes up a mountain from the Holiday Inn). Because of the haste in booking, I was forced to book the Holiday Inn. I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to hotels. I stay as the Sheridan, the W, the Embassy Suites or Hilton if the option is there. I had not stayed in a Holiday Inn, in fact, since I was a kid.

Check In

I didn't get in until late on Sunday night due to a 90 mile drive from Roanoke Airport. Being from Chicago, I don't do mountains, so I was freaked out trying to get to the hotel before nightfall. As I got into Covington, the HIE was the very first sign I saw. I parked and walked into a small but pristine lobby with a breakfast station (of course, not full of food due to the time on night) and dimly lit hallway. On the other side was the desk and there stood just a delightful woman who was as cheery of a person as I'd ever met. I was a bit of a grouch from all of the travel and she snapped me right our of that. She gave me my keycard, told me about breakfast and sent me on my way.

The Room

So I expected a run down hole in the wall. What I got, however, was an unexpectedly large room with new drapes, furniture, refrigerator and linens. There was a business station for my computer and alike as well as an easy chair for relaxing in the corner. All of this with a king sized bed and plenty of room to get around. I always bring my Playstation 3 on long trips so I have something to do and was delighted to see a brand new 42 inch LG HDTV. Even better, they give you and outside line to cable so you do not have to deal with those annoying "hotel channels". I was able to hook up my system no problem.

The bathroom was standards, but very clean. The shower, one could tell, had been added or refurbished recently. It was very nice.

The bed was very comfortable.

NOTE: The room comes with free WiFi and I kept forgetting the pass code, but the front desk was more than happy to supply as many times as I needed. Very kind indeed.

Breakfast:

Slept like a brick and woke up refreshed to find that their breakfast station included cinnamon rolls, scrambled eggs, toast, bagels, bacon, sausage, pancakes, cereal, yogurt, oatmeal, coffee and tea. Also had some of the best biscuits and gravy I've ever had there. Just fantastic. I asked the front desk for directions to the resort and they knew it without thinking twice.

Fitness Center/Pool

After 4 days of presenting, I needed some hot tub time, but everywhere I go there are kids splashing around like jerks in the tub. Here, I had the place to myself. A very small, but very comfortable and serviceable pool accompanied by 3 treadmills, some dumbbells and, of course, a hot tub were all mine for 2 hours on my last day. VERY relaxing.

Summary:

I will never come back through Covington. I mean, there is nothing there and the place smells like sewage due to a paper mill in the center of town. That said, if I do, I will DEFINITELY stay here again. Just a fantastic experience.

Room Tip: The view is great if you get a top floor. Glorious mountains.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

WE only stayed one night but this hotel was excellent. We loved the breakfast. The complimentary tolietries are fabulous.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Findlay, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is easy to find and convenient to the interstate. We hadn't planned on staying there, but after a long day of driving, we needed a rest. I called the l 800 number and made a reservation. The operater was helpful and pleasant. When we checked in, the clerk said we could not use any discounts like AAA because of the way the reservation was made. The total for one night was $160.00.

• Stayed June 2012
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012 via mobile

Just checked in... Get ready for bed and pull the sheets down to find yellow stains in the waist area of the sheet. Don't think they had been washed after the last people used them. Looked bad and gives you that nasty trashy feeling.

• Stayed May 2012
, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Covington, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
Dear Anniedawn78,

Thank you for your stay and leaving us feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I’m sorry you were not fully satisfied with the accommodations received. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Covington? Share your experiences!