“Dont support price gougers!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #2 of 5 hotels in Covington
Covington, Virginia
“Dont support price gougers!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

After the derecho came through covington, my sick, diabetic mother lasted five days in 100 degree heat without power. On day six, she needed a room. When my father called, he was told a room would be 269.99 per night.

Stayed July 2012

51 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Lockport, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

In late April, I was sent on a week long trip to the western part of Virginia to attend a conference at the Homestead (about 45 minutes up a mountain from the Holiday Inn). Because of the haste in booking, I was forced to book the Holiday Inn. I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to hotels. I stay as the Sheridan, the W, the Embassy Suites or Hilton if the option is there. I had not stayed in a Holiday Inn, in fact, since I was a kid.

Check In

I didn't get in until late on Sunday night due to a 90 mile drive from Roanoke Airport. Being from Chicago, I don't do mountains, so I was freaked out trying to get to the hotel before nightfall. As I got into Covington, the HIE was the very first sign I saw. I parked and walked into a small but pristine lobby with a breakfast station (of course, not full of food due to the time on night) and dimly lit hallway. On the other side was the desk and there stood just a delightful woman who was as cheery of a person as I'd ever met. I was a bit of a grouch from all of the travel and she snapped me right our of that. She gave me my keycard, told me about breakfast and sent me on my way.

The Room

So I expected a run down hole in the wall. What I got, however, was an unexpectedly large room with new drapes, furniture, refrigerator and linens. There was a business station for my computer and alike as well as an easy chair for relaxing in the corner. All of this with a king sized bed and plenty of room to get around. I always bring my Playstation 3 on long trips so I have something to do and was delighted to see a brand new 42 inch LG HDTV. Even better, they give you and outside line to cable so you do not have to deal with those annoying "hotel channels". I was able to hook up my system no problem.

The bathroom was standards, but very clean. The shower, one could tell, had been added or refurbished recently. It was very nice.

The bed was very comfortable.

NOTE: The room comes with free WiFi and I kept forgetting the pass code, but the front desk was more than happy to supply as many times as I needed. Very kind indeed.

Breakfast:

Slept like a brick and woke up refreshed to find that their breakfast station included cinnamon rolls, scrambled eggs, toast, bagels, bacon, sausage, pancakes, cereal, yogurt, oatmeal, coffee and tea. Also had some of the best biscuits and gravy I've ever had there. Just fantastic. I asked the front desk for directions to the resort and they knew it without thinking twice.

Fitness Center/Pool

After 4 days of presenting, I needed some hot tub time, but everywhere I go there are kids splashing around like jerks in the tub. Here, I had the place to myself. A very small, but very comfortable and serviceable pool accompanied by 3 treadmills, some dumbbells and, of course, a hot tub were all mine for 2 hours on my last day. VERY relaxing.

Summary:

I will never come back through Covington. I mean, there is nothing there and the place smells like sewage due to a paper mill in the center of town. That said, if I do, I will DEFINITELY stay here again. Just a fantastic experience.

Room Tip: The view is great if you get a top floor. Glorious mountains.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

WE only stayed one night but this hotel was excellent. We loved the breakfast. The complimentary tolietries are fabulous.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Findlay, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is easy to find and convenient to the interstate. We hadn't planned on staying there, but after a long day of driving, we needed a rest. I called the l 800 number and made a reservation. The operater was helpful and pleasant. When we checked in, the clerk said we could not use any discounts like AAA because of the way the reservation was made. The total for one night was $160.00.

• Stayed June 2012
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012 via mobile

Just checked in... Get ready for bed and pull the sheets down to find yellow stains in the waist area of the sheet. Don't think they had been washed after the last people used them. Looked bad and gives you that nasty trashy feeling.

• Stayed May 2012
, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Covington, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
Dear Anniedawn78,

Thank you for your stay and leaving us feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I’m sorry you were not fully satisfied with the accommodations received. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Indio, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

As always I requested a quiet room. What I got was room almost on top of the highway. After a full day of travel I was too tired to make the effort to get another room so we made the best of it. As expected we heard truck traffic all night. Although the room appeard to have been clean at some point, it looked like it had sat unused for an extended period of time as thee was a thin level of undisturbed dust on everything. Breakfast was typical HIE fare but was kept well stocked.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Covington, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Dear glrsandldy,

Thank you for your stay and leaving us feedback. We are pleased you enjoyed our breakfast. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We're sorry you were not fully satisfied with the accommodations received. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Clarksville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

The only reason I would not give this an excellent is because of the price. It is a bit much at $140. However, it looks recently remodeled and that could be the reason. The hotel was not very crowded at all a few cars and we only seen two other people. The hot tub is outstanding, could be a few degrees hotter, but I like to boil, so most likely everyone else will love it! The room was nice, we stayed in 206. King room, bed was pleasant, but pillows were lacking! I would recommend bringing your own, even though it says soft and firm on pillow cases they are small and lumpy. the furnishing as very large for the room, two nightstands chair, desk and chair and a large center that housed the dorm fridge, microwave, coffee maker (one cup), dresser and HUGE TV! It was like having a mini theater as you lay in bed. Lots of channels that came in clear. Room very clean including the bathroom that had a oversized shower head and three settings. They had an exercise room, I did not use but extremely small if you get a few people in there it will be hard to walk around to get to another machine total of four, treadmill, bike and two different stair machines. Overall would come again, but to expensive to make it a continual weekend get a way.

Room Tip: Room 206 king bed was really nice, small but wonderful.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express Covington? Share your experiences!