In late April, I was sent on a week long trip to the western part of Virginia to attend a conference at the Homestead (about 45 minutes up a mountain from the Holiday Inn). Because of the haste in booking, I was forced to book the Holiday Inn. I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to hotels. I stay as the Sheridan, the W, the Embassy Suites or Hilton if the option is there. I had not stayed in a Holiday Inn, in fact, since I was a kid.
I didn't get in until late on Sunday night due to a 90 mile drive from Roanoke Airport. Being from Chicago, I don't do mountains, so I was freaked out trying to get to the hotel before nightfall. As I got into Covington, the HIE was the very first sign I saw. I parked and walked into a small but pristine lobby with a breakfast station (of course, not full of food due to the time on night) and dimly lit hallway. On the other side was the desk and there stood just a delightful woman who was as cheery of a person as I'd ever met. I was a bit of a grouch from all of the travel and she snapped me right our of that. She gave me my keycard, told me about breakfast and sent me on my way.
So I expected a run down hole in the wall. What I got, however, was an unexpectedly large room with new drapes, furniture, refrigerator and linens. There was a business station for my computer and alike as well as an easy chair for relaxing in the corner. All of this with a king sized bed and plenty of room to get around. I always bring my Playstation 3 on long trips so I have something to do and was delighted to see a brand new 42 inch LG HDTV. Even better, they give you and outside line to cable so you do not have to deal with those annoying "hotel channels". I was able to hook up my system no problem.
The bathroom was standards, but very clean. The shower, one could tell, had been added or refurbished recently. It was very nice.
The bed was very comfortable.
NOTE: The room comes with free WiFi and I kept forgetting the pass code, but the front desk was more than happy to supply as many times as I needed. Very kind indeed.
Slept like a brick and woke up refreshed to find that their breakfast station included cinnamon rolls, scrambled eggs, toast, bagels, bacon, sausage, pancakes, cereal, yogurt, oatmeal, coffee and tea. Also had some of the best biscuits and gravy I've ever had there. Just fantastic. I asked the front desk for directions to the resort and they knew it without thinking twice.
After 4 days of presenting, I needed some hot tub time, but everywhere I go there are kids splashing around like jerks in the tub. Here, I had the place to myself. A very small, but very comfortable and serviceable pool accompanied by 3 treadmills, some dumbbells and, of course, a hot tub were all mine for 2 hours on my last day. VERY relaxing.
I will never come back through Covington. I mean, there is nothing there and the place smells like sewage due to a paper mill in the center of town. That said, if I do, I will DEFINITELY stay here again. Just a fantastic experience.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Covington Hotel
- Holiday Inn Express Covington Hotel Covington
- Holiday Inn Covington
- Covington Holiday Inn
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn Express Covington is a great hotel surrounded by the beautiful Virginia mountains. Built in 1999, this is a 4 story interior corridor hotel offers 63 guest rooms. Our hotel features a fitness room with treadmill, a bicycle and stepper. There is also a coin operated washer and dryer on the property. In addition, we offer a deluxe complimentary continental breakfast serving hot items. All of our guest rooms feature an in room coffeemaker, iron & ironing board, 27 inch TV, free HBO/ESPN, in room hair dryer and all of our rooms have microwave/refrigerators, three telephone. The Holiday Inn Express also has an indoor pool with whirlpool, and features a limited number of rooms with in-room jacuzzi. We have a meeting room which can be used for both personal/leisure and corporate needs. Downtown Covington is within 2 miles and we have several nice restaurants nearby. High speed internet available in rooms. Visit Covington, VA and stay smart at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com and Venere so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Covington reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.