“Very nice Covered Bridge” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 4 Attractions in Covington
More attraction details
Owner description: The oldest, standing covered-bridge in Virginia.
Montgomery, Illinois
32 attraction reviews
“Very nice Covered Bridge”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Beautiful setting for this lovely bridge, original or not it still is a beautiful bridge and nice, tranquil place to have a picnic, easy to find. Didn't like the graffiti inside but thank goodness for photoshop. I don't think you will be disappointed if you stop by and see this one. Photographers will love this photo op. Love the L O V E

Visited June 2014

Goodview, Virginia
28 attraction reviews
“Nice to see such a rare treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Even though it has undergone some restoration work in 2013 it's still not to be missed. It it may not be 100% original but it was originally built in 1857 and considering we could have lost it and not seen it at all, I won't complain. Only thing that was a disappointment was all the graffiti on the inside and then on the other side of the bridge. Other than that we were delighted to see it and considered it a rare treat.

It has a decent sized parking lot, portable toilets and a couple of concrete tables if you want to have lunch there. Kids were swimming in the creek when we went. Just go over the bridge and down the bank on the other side and you can walk right into the water. It hadn't rained recently by the way the creek looked when we went, but some parts of the creek are deep enough to swim in, while other parts are shallow enough to just walk about in while clearly seeing the bottom.

Other than better access to the creek there's just a couple of tables on the other side. They are kind of hidden under the trees and not in the open like on the parking lot side. Part of the old road that went through the bridge is on the other side, but it's all grassed over now and doesn't appear to lead anywhere. Just running past the bridge maybe 75 yards. I'm horrible at guessing distances.

The only thing I wish I had brought along with me was bug spray. Mosquito's (I'm guessing) left my daughter alone, but ate myself and my wife up when we were on the parking lot side of the bridge. They seem to leave us alone on the other side.

Don't forget to look for the letters spelling out LOVE between the parking lot and the creek as it can be easily missed. There's a plague explaining why it's there.

I would say you could get a wheelchair over the bridge, but suggest you not turn it around until your on the other side first. The floor of the bridge is made of planks and there are small gaps between them. You would most likely get stuck.

Only a short drive off of interstate 64, well worth a stop if your into covered bridges.

Note on Portable toilets. They may not be there year round. Reading other reviews from this year, (March) where they say no toilets available, makes me think they may only keep them there during the Summer months. They may not be there during the colder months.

Visited June 2014
Santurce, PR
14 attraction reviews
“Beautiful Outside; Inside filling up with Graffiti”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

My husband and I visited this beautiful place on our trip from West Virginia to the Blue Ridge Parkway through the Midland Trail (US-60). It's a beautiful and peaceful place , perfect for a picnic with the family (kids and adults) and beautiful photos. The day we visited several kids are swimming even though the day was so cold. Unfortunately someone damage the inside of this beautiful place with "Graffiti". Good parking, picnic tables and portable restrooms.

Visited September 2013
Covington, VA
3 attraction reviews
“Beautiful trip to yesteryear.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

Humpback bridge is one of two covered humpback bridges left in the United States. In a beautiful, pastoral setting on Dunlap Creek, you will find this site not only historic but pleasing and soothing. Be sure to visit.

Visited June 2013
Upstate SC
6 attraction reviews
“The LOVE passed me by?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

The actual wooden bridge looked to be fairy new construction, the floor, ceiling joists and siding looked new? Already filling up with graffiti. I did not know what the Love was...I thought maybe part of an old ferry but wondered since the water is so shallow. There did appear to be a sign inside but it looked like GRAFFITI? I was looking from the bridge side to the gear and took pics of it and the E. Easy quick stop right off of 64, good for a walk and photo op. I wondered why it was in such good condition and not used? Large boulders blocked cars and the other side went to no where. Picnic tables, no restrooms, very shallow.

Visited March 2014